T Nation

How Is My Plan?

I created this fullbody split myself, and I'd like to know if I need to make any changes to it. I'm a complete beginner.

Weight: 175
Height: 6'2
Goal: strength/size

FULL BODY SPLIT
- workout 3 days a week (friday, sunday, tuesday)
- switch back-and-forth from WorkoutA and WorkoutB
- daily undulating
- 5 minutes of cardio before workout
- stretch before and after workout
- warmup sets for exercises marked with *

WorkoutA
-------------------------------mon----wed----fri
*Deadlifts 3sets x --------------10------8------6
Lunges 3sets x -----------------12-----10------8
*Bench Press - flat 3sets x -----10------8------6
*Pull-ups 3sets x ---------------10------8------6
Standing Military Press 3sets x --12------10-----8
Close-grip Bench Press 2sets x --12------10-----8
Bicep Curls 2sets x -------------12------10-----8
Calf Raises 3sets x -------------12------10-----8

WorkoutB

*Squats 3sets x ----------------10-------8------6
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3sets x ----12------10-----8
*Bench Press - incline 3sets x ---10-------8------6
*Bent-over Rows 3sets x --------10-------8------6
Standing Side Laterals 3sets x ---12-------10-----8
Dips 2sets x --------------------12-------10-----8
Chin-ups 2sets x ----------------12-------10-----8
Shrugs 2sets x ------------------12-------10-----8

Thanks for your help

It pretty much sucks. Read this:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Read Vroom's thread "are you a beginner" then search "Waterbury" and use one of his programs.

Could you be a little more specific as to what's so bad about it?

Ugh, NO, do NOT use one of CW's programs, in fact, almost every program on this site will not suit you. CW has stated multiple times and to me PERSONALLY that his programs really aren't intended for beginners.

Do a full body workout 3 times a week working in the 3-4 x 8-12 range (I use 4 x 8) working on the big core lifts: chins and all variations, flat/decline/incline bench press, standing/seated military press, bent-over/chest-supported/cable rows (this means bent-over rows, really, no need to be a pussy), squats, deadlifts and variations. My workout is like this:

AxBxAxx week 1, BxAxBxx week 2

Workout A

Squats 4 x 8
Bent-Over Rows 4 x 8
Bench Press 4 x 8
Calf Press 4 x 8

Workout B

Chins 4 x 8 (I use BW so I finish every set I can't complete with negatives)
Shoulder Press 4 x 8
Deadlifts 4 x 8
Calf Press 4 x 8

6 weeks of 4 x 8, next 6 weeks are 8 x 4.

Yes. Pretty much everything. Now go read that thread and learn something.

Sorry for double-post, I just remembered I didn't state this:

the goal of many beginners should be to work on perfecting form and adding poundage to your lifts. That means stick to the basic lifts, don't go apeshit over the weight the first few times so as to ensure you're getting good form, and work on increasing your weight. As a beginner doing almost anything will get you stronger. Once you've got some decent poundage on your lifts, then start looking at some of the program on this site.

Whoops, I was going for the TBT idea also, but I guess not Chad's TBT.

My fullbody split IS using compound lifts. The difference is that yours has less exercises per workout. Should I try and lower the amount of different exercises?

I don't exactly know why your workout "sucks completely go read this article" or whatever. Scientifically, as a general rule, workouts that last longer than an hour can be counterproductive as far as protein degration or something along those lines go. Regardless, as a rule, keep your workouts pretty short, it'll probably work best.

I think the reason the other guys didn't like your workout is that it seems pretty needlessly complex. I can't speak for them, so I dunno.

Anyways, I'll give you these articles to read, they are NOT program recommendations, they are articles that will help you create your OWN best workout. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you're a beginner: don't get fancy.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459430 - Different types of muscular gain. At its core, an article about bodybuilding training vs. powerlifting training.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459759 - Ian King's great article about the basics.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=651322 - This goes hand in hand with CT's article mentioned above. It's about different types of training. I personally love this article, I like CT's one more for the knowledge of it, but as far as creating a program I do pay attention to this.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459411 - I'm not a huge fan of this article, but it's not bad by any means. It does take you through it holding your hand though. And as far as TUT and rest periods it isn't all that important.

Anyways, at the very least read CW's Set/Rep Bible and Ian King's Bustin' Ass 101 (2nd and 3rd links). They'll help.

^^^Thanks

BTW, the routine I posted at the top never takes me over an hour.