How Important are Supplements and Nutrition?

This of course is a stupid question. I’m asking because there are guys in prison who are huge and shredded. They get 3 small meals of the shittiest least nutritious food available, and I doubt they have PWO shakes.

Also some of the guys on ‘Survivor’ go on looking huge and come off looking huge and more shredded after a month with hardly any food. I’m sure they’ve lost muscle, but not noticeably. What’s the deal with this?

So basically, how well does optimum nutrition build muscle compared to average nutrition?

In my opinion, as I am sure others will disagree, genetics plays an important role for some. They may genetically carry more muscle and or build it more easily even under less then ideal conditions. However, imagine if the prisoner who is making great gains on prison food had access to BCAA’s, Surge, Metabolic Drive, Flameout, Creatine, his gains would likely be far more impressive.

Also, in regard to Survivor contestants who go in looking good and leave leaking good. A large part of that probably has to do with them being avid weight trainers or fitness enthusiasts and using supplements with good nutrition as part of their lifestyle. They may go on the show and lose a lot of fat and some muscle, but they had a lot of muscle to begin with.

D

Nutrition = 70%
Supplements = 10%
Lifting Program = 20%

You’re as strong as your weakest link.

[quote]Bujutsuka wrote:
This of course is a stupid question. I’m asking because there are guys in prison who are huge and shredded. They get 3 small meals of the shittiest least nutritious food available, and I doubt they have PWO shakes.

Also some of the guys on ‘Survivor’ go on looking huge and come off looking huge and more shredded after a month with hardly any food. I’m sure they’ve lost muscle, but not noticeably. What’s the deal with this?

So basically, how well does optimum nutrition build muscle compared to average nutrition? [/quote]

This has been discussed quite a bit. As far as the prisoner topic, it has a lot to do with the fact that you have all the time in the world and most guys will workout to kill time. They may be eating like shit but they workout constantly and sleep a lot. Steroids can also be a factor. I think nutrition is highly over rated, that being said I do eat healthy, and eat frequently but it’s the guys (except the extremely dedicated bodybuilders) that have super strict diets that often fail. It’s all to easy to write out the “perfect” diet but fail because it’s to complex. Lets put it this way, I have never seen a person with a really good diet who never trains have a muscular body meanwhile I have seen plenty of guys who train there ass off and eat like shit and have made decent progress. It may not be optimal, but to say nutrition is more important then training is total BS

How many people in prison have you seen?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
How many people in prison have you seen?[/quote]

i know this comment was probably innocent enough but it just made me laugh out loud very loud…

[quote]noveldex wrote:
msd0060 wrote:
How many people in prison have you seen?

i know this comment was probably innocent enough but it just made me laugh out loud very loud…[/quote]

But seriously… just a few pictures of the most fierce looking swole ass mugs there are in prison? Hardly a representative sample. They atrophy just the same as us out here…

[quote]Bujutsuka wrote:

So basically, how well does optimum nutrition build muscle compared to average nutrition? [/quote]

Well the jacked up inmates usually shit kick, and ass rape the weaker inmates repeatedly until they kick in there corn bread!

Haha; i’ve seen pictures of inmates who are total fat asses. =/

and some of em look like famine victims cause their bodies are eating themselves up.

I have a theory. The JACKED UP GUYS STOLE the SKinny guy’s food; and is a form of not getting “The butt raped” in shower time.

[quote]ratm88 wrote:
It may not be optimal, but to say nutrition is more important then training is total BS [/quote]

Surely you jest. For the average forum reader nutrition is far more important than training. Those who are advanced beyond that know that optimizing training and nutrition together with lifestyle is the key to success at a higher level, but often benefit far more from focusing on nutrition as this is the easiest behavior to stray from since it is an event that happens at almost ten times the frequency of training sessions.

Mind you everyone reacts differently, so most of the previous statements are to some degree meaningless at some time and place to each individual. Most people succeed despite their training and nutrition, not due to it.

Inmates have over 3500 calories a day in those meals and they do have access to basic supplements like protein.

So a mesomorph & endomorph can easily get enough calories to grow.

[quote]Blashy wrote:
Inmates have over 3500 calories a day in those meals and they do have access to basic supplements like protein.

So a mesomorph & endomorph can easily get enough calories to grow.[/quote]

If this is true than thats bullshit. My tax money is going to feeding prisoners 3500cal a food a day?? They should be getting the bare minimum to live, thats it. They are in prison, its punishment, wtf.

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
ratm88 wrote:
It may not be optimal, but to say nutrition is more important then training is total BS

Surely you jest.
[/quote]
Not at all.

Let me reiterate that I fully beleive nutrition is a major factor with bodybuilding but to say that nutrition is more important then lifting is pretty far fetched.

You can gain muscle when lifting weights and eating shit food, but your never going to put on size from nutrition alone. And to say that the average forum reader “nutrition is far more important” I also can’t say I agree. I think the “average” forum reader would benifit a lot more if they consistently went to the gym and trained with intensity.

I believe it was Flex magazine or muscle and fitness that did an article about guys in prison a while back. They actually had an in-prison bodybuilding competition. They where no where near even an amateur contest outside cell walls, but impressive nonetheless.

Genetics have a part in the size of any person, nutrition or not.

Thinking about it though, if your in a place where all you do is exercise, eat, and sleep, you will probably be able to make some progress while in there.

Gerdy

what makes you think they cant get supps in prison?

they get recreational drugs in prison, im sure they get steroids too