How Important Are Solid Foods?

currently i take in about 2 gallons of whole milk a day and a couple things of yogurt too or ill toss in about 6-8 raw eggs. basically the foundation of my diet is in liquid dairy with only a few meals being solid which generally take me a long time to eat unless im really really hungry.

so even if im taking in 6,000 calories a day is it actually less if its all in liquid form?

you’ll lose some thermic effect but it sounds like you’re trying to gain weight so that won’t negatively impact you.

I’m no doctor, but I would think: Very important.

Liquids digest faster then solids. So I would assume you would want to take in more solids to get your digestive system some nutrients.

2 gal of milk a day will get your “caloric requirements” met…but it’s a poor choice my fellow Masshole.

Personally; I only have 2C of whole milk a day…but it’s fantastic!

wouldn’t your jaw muscles suffer from lack of use? i think i read about that somewhere (cant remember where though) may sound stupid but im being serious, i mean chewing solid foods works your jaw alot more than talking or eating yoghurt etc

Seriously?

Of course solid foods are important - you need whole, clean foods to be the center of your nutrition goals.

Liquid meals, i.e. protein shakes or smoothies are more for convenience than sustenance.

Unless you’re planning the V-Diet, a liquid diet is best reserved for infants and adults with a broken jaw.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
currently i take in about 2 gallons of whole milk a day and a couple things of yogurt too or ill toss in about 6-8 raw eggs. basically the foundation of my diet is in liquid dairy with only a few meals being solid which generally take me a long time to eat unless im really really hungry.

so even if im taking in 6,000 calories a day is it actually less if its all in liquid form? [/quote]

I think this would be a great question for Bowden. For what it’s worth, Doug Hepburn really advocated the use of liquid food, but that was mostly peri-workout from what I gather.

what is your fiber intake ?

lol like nil. i dont take in 100% liquids but sometimes if i just drink a lot of milk like say my last two meals are milk only i end up getting pellet shits because its basically all protein with no fiber to bind.

and the jaw thing isnt stupid i guess i never thought about that but my jaw does get this feeling like it needs to be worked its kinda hard to explain other than that.

it sucks too cause whenever i try to eat solid food it takes me maaaaaaaad long unless like i said im really really hungry then its not a problem.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
Unless you’re planning the V-Diet, a liquid diet is best reserved for infants and adults with a broken jaw.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, why do you exclude the V-Diet from not agreeing with liquid meals? It’s the most liquid based diet I’ve ever heard of.

Don’t the stomache bacteria get fucked up if they don’t get enough solid food?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:
Unless you’re planning the V-Diet, a liquid diet is best reserved for infants and adults with a broken jaw.

Out of curiosity, why do you exclude the V-Diet from not agreeing with liquid meals? It’s the most liquid based diet I’ve ever heard of.[/quote]

Short time span?

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you exclude the V-Diet from not agreeing with liquid meals? It’s the most liquid based diet I’ve ever heard of.

Short time span?[/quote]

Eh, true. Could be right.

Live, if you’re drinking that much milk a day, you might want to try to half the milk, and just add protein powder to make up for the lost protein. This will get you in just as much protein with more time to eat solid foods.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you exclude the V-Diet from not agreeing with liquid meals? It’s the most liquid based diet I’ve ever heard of.[/quote]

No, my point is that the V-Diet is an exception. The V-Diet is intended to shed unwanted bodyfat in a short amount of time; it’s not designed to be a meal plan for life.

The OP makes no reference to needing to lose weight. He’s asking if solid foods are important.

I drink 2-3 shakes a day - 1 with breakfast (solid food), 1 with lunch (solid food), and 1 post workout. I use them for added protein, not as a meal replacement.

Make sense?

Instead of just drinking two gallons, make 4-5 shakes out of 1 gallon, with peanut butter, eggs and benefiber. Add some splenda to taste.

yeah ive thought about it in comparison to the V-Diet the only difference is that on the V-Diet your calories are still extremely low. 5600 milk calories from protein, fat and carbs is still 5600 calories of protein fat and carbs. maybe it digests faster but if a person looking to gain weight ate those same calories im sure everyone would be like dude, youre still eating a shit ton of food, liquid or not.

i guess that was always my reasoning behind it, that calories are calories.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Instead of just drinking two gallons, make 4-5 shakes out of 1 gallon, with peanut butter, eggs and benefiber. Add some splenda to taste.[/quote]

thats actually a really good idea. im not big on sweets though so i probaly wont need the splenda.

i dont care if something tastes bad as long as i can just drink it. on the AD the food was bad tasting and inconvienant (i had to cook like everything)

but with eating mostly milk and raw eggs the food still tastes like shit, you just dont have to sit there and force yourself to chew it.

I know what you mean regarding AD. I don’t have the taste, time or facilities to cook like that.

I use shakes like the above and I also ferment most of my milk to kill the carbs - just let it stay in a container at room temperature until it separates. Then use for shakes. It ads the sour taste which I happen to like and it’s much more nutritious and better for digestion. It’s also good because it you can have entire gallons without wasting fridge space, all you need is large glass containers from Target.

Haha, maybe throw in some jaw curls at the gym.

2 gallons a day? Isn’t white fear one gallon? You should definitely enter in some white fear competitions, scull a gallon of milk, then thank them for breakfast.

Seriously though, i find that liquids don’t fill me up as much as solids, and i get hungry almost immediately. But that might even help if you’re trying to consume that many calories? I find it hard to believe that a diet with NO whole food could be good for you, even if you’re just getting 2000 calories from solids at least it would give your diet some kind of normality. especially if there was some fibre and vegetables in there :smiley:

I thought i drank a lot of milk, with between 1-2L a day. I guess i was wrong haha.

I am sitting here very, very impressed.

i drank 5 dozen raw eggs in a day before too.

even if i eat whole food im hungry again in like 10 minutes. like it just took me a good hour to finish a lg roast beef (btw MA has the best roast beef) basically i was just like fuck it and attacked the remaining bits then ate some fries and drank a glass of milk…i was full for like 20 minutes now im fucking starving again. im never full it seems.

I drink about a gallon a day of whole milk.

I dont consider it to be a “meal” or anything I just drink it with my normal meals or when Im thirsty for some.

2 gallons is alot of sugar, but if your trying to gain I dont see too much wrong with it.

Just remember milk is a high % whey, which doesnt last long, solid proteins give your body a much more stable release of aminos.