How I Train, Eat, and Think About Stuff

[quote]Bear943 wrote:
Paragon, you should post more often. There is heck of a lot we could learn from you. The lifts you had posted which btw is very impressive, were they done recently in your lean state or were they done in the past when you were in full house mode? [/quote]

I would love to post more, I just hardly find the time to. The problem is, that T-Nation is a blocked site at where I work. So I can’t post during breaks or lunh breaks.
I will try to post more often in the future. I’ll probaly just reserve an hour for that every Monday and Wednesday or Saturday evening.

As for the lifts: Currently, I’m as strong as I had never been before. These are all recent numbers.

My squat and deadlift was alomost equally good when I was 20 or so and, as I mentioned, pretty fat. I did improve from there, had many set-backs and am now a nice bit stronger in those lifts.
The lift that improved the most over the last 2 or 2.5 year was the bench press. This I attribute to a big part to incorporating many techniques Thib has written about on T-Nation.
I think my best bench press as of end of 2007 was around 350!

Amazing post. Cheers PA, I appreciate the time you took and have definitely learned some things.

Gold

SLEEP

As you might have noticed, I don’t sleep too long. This is something that runs in the family. My grandfather, uncles, and my mother all sleep/slept very little, yet felt perfectly healthy.
I need a little more sleep than my relatives do/did, I sleep longer on weekends and, if I do feel tierd, I go to bed, no matter what time it is. I don’t feel ashamed to hit the sack at 7 pm if I feel exhaused.

However, I believe my schedule wouldn’t be possible wouldn’t I really care about great QUALITY of sleep. Improving the quality of my sleep helped me a lot in and outsinde the gym. I feel it’s muc better so sleep deeply for 5 hours than 8 disturbed and uneasy hours.

Here is what I do to find deep and restful sleep:

1. No electronic equipment in the bed room. My bedroom is reserved for sleeping and “other activities” with my girl. And nothing else. No TV, no HiFi, I don’t even bring my mobile to my bedroom.

2. Dark and cool and well ventilated. I have very heavy curtanis in my bedroom. When I pull them, the rook is really dark! I think that’s very important to find deep sleep. I open de window around 30 minutes before I go to bed so the room is very well ventilated. I keep it open at night if the temperature outside is over 5°C. I also turn down the heating so the bedroom is the coolest room in my falt. I don’t overdo this and don’t like the recommendations of 16°C, that’s too low for me. But 19°C is great.

3. Philips wake-up ligh alarm clock. This falls into the category “stuff I love”. It’s not a usual clock that harshly wakes you up with an annoying sound, but a clock that wakes you up with ligh! You set the clock and it’ll start to get brighter and brighter over the course of 30 minutes before the set time. I always wake up 15 to 10 minutes before the “target time” and feel refreshed and well rested. It feels much more natural than the usual alarm clocks.

4. Epsom salt bath and reading
    When I find the time or when I feel no relaxed enough, I take empsom salt bath’ something like 1 hour before I get to bed. I simply pour 300g of epsom salt into a hot tub and take a bath for 20 to 30 minutes. This is really relaxing and helps me sleep like a baby.
    I usually use the time to read a few pages in a book - which is something I do every single day anyway!
    I found reading much better than whatching TV to relax.

5. No caffein. This is a simple one. I react pretty strongly to any kind of stimulatns. I do drink coffee and love coffee, but I limit my consumption to maybe 2 cups a week. And I don’t drink any caffeinated beverages later than 2 or 3 pm.

6. Food. I don’t sleep well with a full stomache. I don’t sleep well with an empty one. I also found that fast proteins, like casein hydrolizate or whey isolate have a stimulating effect on my body! I prefer micellar casein in the evening, combined with a little fat and only a few carbs. Too many carbs somehow destroy my sleep, no carbs at all somehow let de protein get to “dominant” and too stimulating. A perfect meal for me would be 2 scoops micellar casein (go for Metabolic Drive, e.g.), 4 caps fish oil (Flameout for me) and half an apple.
    I eat this 90 minutes or so befor I go to bed. If I eat it any later than that, my sleep suffers.

7. Biotest Z12. This one is just fantastic. I don’t take it every day, but when I feel a little nervous or had a very stressful day. I take 3-4 caps 10 minutes before I hit the sack and it does wonders for me.

That’s it… Have a nice weekend and sleep well :wink:

And the mentioned alarm clock.

That alarm clock sounds like a great idea. I find that I am able to wake up easily and well rested to natural sunlight.

You are most certainly on your way to those “bits”. Thanks PA!

RECUPERATION COMBOS

My training week is pretty demanding. My job is pretty demanding as well. I have to find ways to get away with rather little sleep and still recover for my next workout.

For me, quality of sleep is one crucial element of proper recuperation. So is sound nutrition and an optimal peri-workout nutrition protocol.

Additionally, I have some “recuperation combos” up the sleeve I would like to share with you. I found these procedures to work very well for me. You might want to experiment a bit with one or the other.

1. Neural Charge Workouts & PowerDrive

I’m not going to explain neural charge workouts because they are very well covered by coach Thibaudeau on this page. I especially love neural charge workouts 4-6 hours before a heavy training session (e.g. in the early morning followed by a regular workout in my lunch break).
I also quite often do a neural charge workout on days I feel drained. I try to have it finished before 2 pm, because I am very sensitive to CNS-stimulation and have problems falling asleep when I do a NCW in the later afternoon or evening.

I mix 2 scoops Biotest PowerDrive in 30-40 oz. of water and drink it during and after the workout (which never lasts longer than 20 minutes). I might sip another serving of PowerDrive 2-4 hours after the completed workout.

When do I do this?
a) To prepare for a heavy workout later on the same day.
b) When I feel drained and just want to do a single workout and can schedule it to be completed before 2 pm.

1. Foam rolling, stretching, Epsom salt bath & SUSHI

This is one of my absolute favourites when it comes to recuperation tools.
As I mentioned above, I do not really like neural charge workouts in the evenings, because they tend to activate my nervous system too much to allow me to find restful sleep at night.
So, whenever I feel exhausted from work and/or my workouts when I am at home in the evening, I do this procedure.
It’s very relaxing - not stimulating - it boosts my recuperation and it’s fun!

Here is what I do: Last night I was at home at 7 pm. Which is pretty early for me, and since my fiancee was out with her girls and my muscles felt stiff and sore, I decided to do this routine.
I always start with 8 to 12 easy minutes on my stationary bicycle. Don’t, don’t overdo this and I even consider this optional. I just like to break a sweat before I start my foam rolling and static stretching.
I then do 6 to 8 foam rolling exercises.
After that, I spend 15 minutes or so with static stretching. Static stretching has a very relaxing effect on me. This might also be do to the deep and relaxing breathing involved.

After the stretching I jump into a warm/hot Epsom salt bath for about 20 minutes.

No comes the real fun part: a BIG plate of sushi. Let me explain why I do this: I found a boost in calories to help with recovery. My diet is always a borderline act between providing enough calories and nutrient to allow for muscle growth and performance in and outside the gym and staying lean pretty much year round. So when I feel drained and exhausted, a sudden boost in calories and carbs seems to help speed up the recovery process. It’s like my body is able to catch up then.
I also found fish oils to really help speed up the recovery process. I prefer to use Sushi over - let’s say - a big bowl of pasta and some fish oil caps. It just feels better and “cleaner” to me.
I aim for about 1’000 calories in that meal and 100-150g of carbs. I prefer salmon as my choice of fish.

I wait for around 90 minutes after that meal, take a serving of Biotest Z12 and hit the sack. When I wake up the next morning, I feel fresh, rested, and ready for my next workout.

When do I do this?
a) If I feel drained, stiff, sore, jittery, anxious and I can’t workout during the day (i.e. have to do the recuperative workout in the evening).
b) Whenever I’m at home and don’t have anything else to do. I prefer to do something active (in this case something active to relax) over lying on the couch and eating shit.

1. Light barbell exercises, mobility work and BCAA

The above routine is perfect for evenings. I do prefer static stretching over mobility work on the evenings because mobility work tends to activate my nervous system too much.
If I find the time to do a mobility workout before 2 or 3 pm, I like this routine:

I first start with light barbell exercises. I like to do the Olympic lifts here, some squats and push presses. I only do it to feel the movement, to work on my technique, to activate de nervous system and to add a little bit of volume to my weekly tonnage. I don’t consider this a weigh lifting session, though.
I take I weight I could do 3-4 sets of 20 reps, but I only do 3-4 sets of 6. So that’s very light. I often perform the exercises circuit style moving form exercise to exercise with something like 30 to 60 seconds rest between sets.

After that, I do some mobility exercises. T-Nation members should know Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson, I suppose:

http://www.magnificentmobility.com/

During the session, I consume something like 30g BCAAs.

I found this routine to really boost recuperation and to activate the nervous system enough to be productive (e.g. at work) for the second half of the day.

When do I do this?
a) As an alternative to a neural charge workout with the difference that I add a little more additional volume to my weekly tonnage.
b) When I feel I have to work on my lifting technique and want to combine this with a “recuperative” session.

1. Deep tissue massage, sauna and BCAA / Grow!

On weekends, I love to do this routine. I’m an outdoor kind of guy and like hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, swimming, or just taking long walks with my girl on Sundays.
If the weather is bad, I go to my gym which has a very nice Spa area and book a massage.
A deep tissue massage is not as funny as you might think. As a matter of fact, it hurts quite a bit. But it really helps to losen up those stiff and sore muscles.
After 50 minutes of “torture” I do 2 to 3 rounds of sauna (12 minutes each).

No I might be the only person sipping on my BCAA drink during the massage and in between the sauna sessions, but I really found this to be very helpful with regard to faster recovery.

After taking a hot/cold shower I down a big protein shake (that’s 2-3 scoops of Grow! for me). I believe that after the massage treatment the body really needs those building blocks to rebuild muscle tissue.

When do I do this?
a) On weekends when the weather is bad…

1. Yoga classes and… red wine

Ok, this might sound a bit funny. It’s more like a semi-healthy ritual of my girl and me than a sophisticated recovery-enhancing routine.
My girl loves those yoga classes. And honestly, once in a while they are fun! Don’t worry about your manliness. A T-man is a T-man and will always look, act and be perceived as a T-man, whether he does Yoga, aerobic or Salsa classes.
So, once a month or once every 6 weeks I join my fiancee for a Yoga class. It’s great, especially because a good teacher will not only teach you stretching techniques, but also proper breathing.
After that, we go to the city, find a cosy bar and have a glass of red wine. Believe it or not, such an evening is a great way to recover physically as well as mentally (but don’t do it every night, though…).

When do I do this?
a) When I want to spend a nice evening with my girl…

Now I know TC wouldn’t agree with me that T-man DO drink wine, but that might be just cultural differences.
I personally don’t drink BEER. In my cultural (European) environment, people (more often than not) start drinking beer because it’s cheap to get drunk with and because others (the older, “cooler” guys) drink it.
Drinking to much beer will not make you a man; it will make you a woman.
A high correlation is observed between a country’s beer consumption and the frequency of “male breasts”, i.e. severe cases of gynecomastia. Which - according to many scientists and the world’s most respected andrologists - can be caused by the sheer load of phytoestrogens found in beer, or in hops.

So, if you want to be bigger - and I’m talking to those lame estrogen-damaged penises right now - stick to water, protein shakes and an occasional glass of wine.

Cheers, PA

Lots of great info in here Para, I really appreciate it!

Question:

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
I do cycle macronutrients. A typical week could look like this (example):

Monday: low-calorie, low-protein day (only 1’000 calories in total, only one protein pulse in the morning and no other protein meals, some veggies, nuts, almonds and a bit of fruit in the morning).

[/quote]

Have you thought about switching this day out with a “pulse fast”? It sounds pretty similar already. Do you have any experience with pulse fasting you can chime in with?

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

Question:

[quote]ParagonA wrote:

Monday: low-calorie, low-protein day (only 1’000 calories in total, only one protein pulse in the morning and no other protein meals, some veggies, nuts, almonds and a bit of fruit in the morning).

[/quote]

Have you thought about switching this day out with a “pulse fast”? It sounds pretty similar already. Do you have any experience with pulse fasting you can chime in with?
[/quote]

Yes, I have thought about it. I am planning to write a post about “what’s next”. I wanted to mention there that one of the next thing I’ll be going to try is to incorporate a MAG-10 pulse fast day a week for 12 weeks or so and see what happens.
I hesitated to do this because I tried something very similar a while ago with another manufacturer’s hydrolized casein product. That was before MAG-10 came out, by the way.
All that gave me were heavy stomach aches and nausea. I thought that I might be allergic to hydrolyzed casein (I don’t know if this is even possible). But I might just have gotten a bad batch or the other company might have added some other stuff to their formula I didn’t react well to.
I will try to pulse fast with MAG-10 very soon.

I did some different forms of fasting in the past. I tried complete fasting, which was a mess. I tried to fast with “pulses” of BCAAs. That worked pretty well in terms of fat loss, but I felt horrible on those days.
The kind of “fasting” I found to work best for me is the mentioned low calorie/low PROTEIN day. This worked very well for me, especially when trying to lean bulk.

Let’s see what MAG-10 will do for me…

Cheers, PA

[quote]ParagonA wrote:

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

Question:

[quote]ParagonA wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I have thought about it. I am planning to write a post about “what’s next”. I wanted to mention there that one of the next thing I’ll be going to try is to incorporate a MAG-10 pulse fast day a week for 12 weeks or so and see what happens.
I hesitated to do this because I tried something very similar a while ago with another manufacturer’s hydrolized casein product. That was before MAG-10 came out, by the way.
All that gave me were heavy stomach aches and nausea. I thought that I might be allergic to hydrolyzed casein (I don’t know if this is even possible). But I might just have gotten a bad batch or the other company might have added some other stuff to their formula I didn’t react well to.
I will try to pulse fast with MAG-10 very soon.

I did some different forms of fasting in the past. I tried complete fasting, which was a mess. I tried to fast with “pulses” of BCAAs. That worked pretty well in terms of fat loss, but I felt horrible on those days.
The kind of “fasting” I found to work best for me is the mentioned low calorie/low PROTEIN day. This worked very well for me, especially when trying to lean bulk.

Let’s see what MAG-10 will do for me…

Cheers, PA[/quote]

Thanks for the response! I’ve been doing two pulse fasts a week for the past 8 weeks with great results. I’ve lost around 15 pounds and have actually gained strength on most lifts. I’d be interested in following you if you go through with that.

Para, I got the same king of nausea and sick feeling from MAG-10 in the past, but don’t anymore. The first fast I got sick and threw up like crazy. That time I mixed in the Alpha GPC and Power Drive. Now I just pulse with straight MAG-10 and that’s it - no GPC, no PowerDrive, and I feel fine. I’ve heard people say that too much leucine can be the cause, I don’t know though. Just wanted to stop by and say wudup!

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Para, I got the same king of nausea and sick feeling from MAG-10 in the past, but don’t anymore. The first fast I got sick and threw up like crazy. That time I mixed in the Alpha GPC and Power Drive. Now I just pulse with straight MAG-10 and that’s it - no GPC, no PowerDrive, and I feel fine. I’ve heard people say that too much leucine can be the cause, I don’t know though. Just wanted to stop by and say wudup![/quote]

I’m sure I’ll be fine with the MAG-10. I tried the Anaconda protocol in the past, which worked quite well. I hope having an empty stomach before drinking MAG-10 won’t cause any problems. PowerDrive is one of my all-time favourite supplements. I like Alpha GPC as well. It is known fir it’s great tolerability, but it could cause nausea in very, very rare cases. Like in 0.5% of all people and in dosages of 1000mg or above. I think there was an Italian study on this.
For me, aGPC is a fantastic supp and I have 2 caps first thing in the morning before my first workout of the day.

MY ALL-TIME FAVOURITE â??SUPPLEMENTâ??

Over the past 20 years I’ve tried and used so many different supplements I don’t dare to count. There were a few pretty useless among them, and some great products as well.
My all-time favourite supplement (I don’t even consider it a “supp”, but rather a staple in my food plan) is all but fancy and has never been accompanied by an exaggerating marketing campaign and nobody will ever claim having gained 20 pounds of rock hard muscle while “on it”.

I’m talking about FINiBARS!

I love this product for it’s manifold “applications” and “multi-functionality”.

Here is what I use FINiBARS for:

1. PERI-WORKOUT NUTRITION

This is an obvious one. I usually have 2 bars around 40 minutes before I work out. My first workout of the day starts at 6:15 am, so my peri-workout nutrition is basically my breakfast, or let’s say, my first meal of the day. My performance suffers significantly when I try to train with a completely empty stomach and even if I have some liquid food pre-workout I still do not function well. That’s where and why the FINiBARS come in. They don’t leave me as full as a regular breakfast and give me enough fuel and “stomach comfort” to have a great workout.

I had some problems in the past when I started the day with a typical pre-workout supplement, especially when it contained caffeine. The FINiBARS seem to cover my stomach enough to avoid any gastrocnemial discomfort.

1. OTHER SPORTS

I love the great carry-over potential of the bars. I’m an outdoor kind of guy and love to go hiking, kayaking or mountain biking on weekends. The FINiBARS always are my major source of carbs and calories then. Can’t imagine going out of the house without some bars in my rucksack…

1. HIGH CARB DAYS

I particularly love the FINiBARS to add carbs and calories to my high carb days. Carb cycling is great, but it’s not the most convenient diet and it comes with a lot of work. You have to weight and prepare your food, calculate the macronutrient totals, and ponder how to “design” your next day so the anticipated nutrient targets are met.

I found FINiBARS to be a BIG relief for my high carb days. Instead of cooking different meals and doing a lot of calculations, I simply add FINiBARS to my normal low-carb meals. On moderate carb days, the carbs in the peri-workout protocol make up for almost all of the day’s carbs. On high carb days I simply have a FINiBAR with every meal in addition to my standard foods. 5 FINiBARS a day add almost 200 grams of carbs and 1’250 calories to my daily totals.
Besides that being convenient AND delicious, I love the strong nutrient partitioning effects of the bar’s carbs.

I prefer doing high carb/high calorie days with clean foods instead of just binging out. Just feel better that way.

1. CONTEST PREPERATION - THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW

The last week before a contest means emptying and re-loading glycogen stores and getting rid of excess subcutaneous water for most competitors.
This is really where you need to know your body and where you have to interpret your body’s signals and reactions to different modifications.
Over the last 2 decades I have competed against dozens and discussed with literally hundreds of fellow athletes. Guess what? Every single one of them had/has at least a slightly different approach for carb-loading! I believe there are as many approaches out there as there are completive athletes.
I won’t go into detail here on mine, but I might write a bout my last week before contests in the future.

On the last day before a show, I load with carbs, of course. I tried many different ways to do that in the past, with many different carb sources. I now do it with FINiBARS and Surge Workout Fuel only. There are different reasons for that. First of all: it works fantastic for me.
Secondly, on the day before a show I feel exhausted and excited at the same time, sometimes almost paralysed, and tired.
Standing in the kitchen and weighting and cooking foods on that day feels almost unbearable to me. I prefer to keep it simple and convenient on that day.

Here’s what I do on the day before a contest:

I get out of bed at 7:00. After 8 hours of sleep. I always try to sleep a little longer than normal on that day.
I mix 4 scoops of Surge Workout Fuel with 1.2 litres of water and refrigerate it.

Throughout the day, I eat 6 meals.

Meals 1 to 3:
2 FINiBARS
One forth of the Surge Workout Fuel (3 dl, that’s around 10 oz.)

Meal 4
2 FINiBARS
One forth of the Surge Workout Fuel
10g Vegetable Glycerine (I use the NOW brand)

Meals 5 and 6
2 FINiBARS
10g Vegetable Glycerine
NO more water/fluids

I also use a natural diuretic the day before and on this days. I used Taraxatone in the past, as well as other, pure dandelion products I can buy in a local pharmacy.

Before I go to bed:
1 dl (around 3 oz.) of red wine, mixed with
10g Vegetable Glycerine

I do around 1 hour of posing in the early afternoon and hit the tanning bed for 20 minutes around 6 pm.

At around 9:30 pm I take an Epsom salt bath (as hot as I can bear) for 20 minutes.

I hit the sack at 11 pm.

On the day of the contest, I usually have a couple more bars throughout the day. The amount of carbs on contest day depends on how I look and feel.
When I start pumping behind the stage I drink a mixture of Dr. Pepper (I always shake the gas out completely!), 10g of glycerine and 4cl of chocolate liquor. Sounds disgusting, but it really isn’t that bad…

When I did my first rehearsal FINiBAR/SWF carb loading day I worried about the sodium content of the products. But to my surprise, this really didn’t seem to be a problem.

On the last day before a contest, my daily totals are:

Calories: 3’560 (Bars and SWF)
Carbs: 596g
Protein: 156g
Fat: 26g
Glycerine: 40g (start lower to assess tolerability)
Additional amino acids (from Surge Workout Fuel): 26g

(Wine not counted in).

Cheers, PA

Very cool to see someone else making use of NOW Brand Glycerin -lol. I just sent someone a PM about that yesterday after a question on my contest thread! I’m a FINiBAR Junkie myself, but I just never seem to feel full after eating them, and I always have 3 at a time,… crazy. I honestly have no idea what my numbers are on a typical day before a contest. I kinda go by how I look, and make decisions every 2-3 hours throughout the day. Still, like you said, eveyone is different, and everyone has their own approach to contest prep :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing a peek big man.

S

My numbers the day before a show are pretty low. I just do better using a “moderate” deloading/reloading approach in the last week before acontest instead of using a no-carbs-at-all-and-follow-by-a-ton-of-carbs approach…

I remember my very first contest prep. I ate 1.5 kilos white rice (dry weight; cooked in sodium-free water) and 1 kilo chicken breasts (broiled in sodium-free water) and 5 tomatoes the day before the contest… Not funny…

The only time I eat 3 FINIBARS at once it when I’m on the originalk Anaconda proctocol. I can’t imagine working out without Surge Workout Fuel anymore, so I’m getting some carbs from there as well and go for 2 bars pre-workout.

Cheers, PA

A LEG WORKOUT TO REMEMBER

Just came home from a great leg workout. Here is what I did:

A1. Vertical jump: 3 jumps @ bdy before every set of squats
A2. Front squats: ramping sets of 3 up to 440lbs. After that, ramping sets of 1 up to 484lbs.

B. Fron squats with bands: 3 sets with 352lbs and 8/8/6 reps

C. Back squats: 1 set of 15 reps with 264lbs

Circuit, 2 rounds:
D1. Leg extensions (entire stack, 11 and 10 reps)
D2. Lying leg curls (entire stack, 10 and 8 reps)
D3. Dumbbell Siff jump squat (2 sets with a pair of 80lbs dumbbells)
D4. Calf raise machine (2 sets, entire stack, 10 and 8 reps)

E. Vertical leg press: 2 sets of 15 reps (entire stack)

Felt great. Later today I will do some excentric less leg work and some core work. After that I’ll have a nice big steak and then meet some friends and play poker :slight_smile:

Cheers, PA

And I thought my leg sessions were tough …

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Very cool to see someone else making use of NOW Brand Glycerin -lol. I just sent someone a PM about that yesterday after a question on my contest thread! [/quote]

And I went and bought it! I may photo-document my usage of it and my pre-photo process to see the effects and get some input. Thanks again for the advice!

Paragon - this thread is great!

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
The only time I eat 3 FINIBARS at once it when I’m on the originalk Anaconda proctocol. I can’t imagine working out with Surge Workout Fuel anymore, so I’m getting some carbs from there as well and go for 2 bars pre-workout.

Cheers, PA[/quote]

Did you mean to say you can’t imagine lifting withOUT Surge WO?

Again, thanks for sharing your philosophies. There is some good info in here.

EDIT: I didn’t see anything mentioned on HOT-ROX. Do you have any experience with it?

Hi guys,
First of all kindly share the picture of the competition.Many of the people want to see these images.The experience you mentioned above shows that you are really a pro.20 years is a big time period.
I shall soon going to make some changes in my training log after viewing yours.