How I Modified Starting Strength

SS seemed like an ideal start, thats it.

Based on what? It’s track record of producing powerlifters?

Look into greyskull LP, I like it much more than starting strength. It’s a program modified from starting strength by someone with experience. I’ve kept at it for 2 months, longer than any other and have progressed well.

If you are not looking to ever get into powerlifting, then you can try Brook Kubik’s Chalk and Sweat. It is full of workout programs, ranging from beginner to advance, with programs for back and leg specialization.

He has workouts that include the powerlifts, O-Lifts, bodyweight, and odd objects. Great author for people looking to train, but not for a specific sport.

1 Like

thanks for the suggestion, Ill look into it.

Ill look into it, thanks for the suggestion

based on the fact that its a programme designed to make you strong centered on the powerlifts even tho its not neccesarily a powerlifting specific programme. it sure as hell is gonna increase your total.

I see it doing a fine job of training the motor patterns and realizing available strength, much like what Bill Starr intended for it to do when he designed the approach for off season football players. That’s helpful if you have a meet coming up, as it is similar to peaking strength. For developing more strength though, I think something with a logical and sustainable progression scheme, variety of rep ranges and assistance work to bring up weak areas will go far.

5/3/1, Cube Method, Juggernaut Method and Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards would be great places to start.

1 Like

Having done sixteen weeks of SS, and having had similar discussions with @T3hPwnisher in the past, I would add that it is useful in developing CNS gains quickly. I believe the majority of gains from adding weight each workout are CNS gains, not hypertrophy so much. To me, this is like the base that people speak of gaining before beginning a hypertrophy program.

You have to understand any beginner program is a beginner program. You will progress to intermediate programming sooner than later and straight LP as set up in SS doesn’t cut it after initial gains. You need to increase periods of recovery and incorporate rest periods in order to maximize gains, in my opinion.

Pretty much any beginner program will accomplish this, and some may be better than others. I do prefer SS for its simplicity and the whole cult of personality shit Rip has going, but that doesn’t mean it’s better than GS, or any other.

It doesn’t really matter because in 3-4 months, you’re going to have to switch to intermediate programming anyway.

However, you should do the program as written for eight weeks or more before modifying it, if ever. It takes a while to figure out programming and when you start off doing your own, you’re just going to fuck it up and end up spinning your wheels, a complete waste of time.

3 Likes

That’s actually what I mean by training the motor pattern. That approach is useful for learning how to move and getting better recruiting everything into the movement. I think of it as skill work.

1 Like

I meant to acknowledge that I was saying the same thing you were, but I forgot. I probably needed a nap.

1 Like

Why not just keep the shrugs and replace the press with 5x5 weighted dips instead?

Just do the damn program and stop trying to make adjustments. And if you don’t like that then hire a coach, it might cost you some money now but it will save a lot of time that you are going to waste.

Punisher is right that this isn’t optimal for someone looking to get into powerlifting. There is no reason for a powerlifter to do power cleans, don’t let the name fool you, it is a assistance lift for the clean and jerk. And it’s not any easier on your back or CNS than whatever deadlifts you would be doing if you actually followed SS. The press is not a competition lift, why would you neglect your bench in favor of that?

Either ask some questions on the SS forum and see what they tell you, pay someone who knows what they are doing to write you a program, or just say fuck it and do the SS program as written. If you have no training experience you really can’t say what works for you or what doesn’t because you just don’t know. SS = Starting Strength, not Special Snowflake.

1 Like