T Nation

How Have You Prepared for the Collapse?

(1) Declare Bankruptcy?

"RALEIGH, N.C. ? The number of U.S. businesses and individuals declaring bankruptcy is rising with a vengeance amid the recession, despite a three-year-old federal law that made it much tougher for Americans to escape their debts, an Associated Press analysis found.

“There’s no end in sight,” said bankruptcy lawyer Bryan Elliott of Hickory, N.C., who is working seven days a week and scheduling prospective clients a month in advance. “To be doing this well and having this much business, it is depressing. It’s not a laugh-a-minute job.”

Nearly 1.2 million debtors filed for bankruptcy in the past 12 months, according to federal court records collected and analyzed by the AP. Last month, 130,831 sought bankruptcy protection ? an increase of 46 percent over March 2008 and 81 percent over the same month in 2007."

I can’t but many here could possibly.

(2) Abandon/sell your home?

"According to Merrill Lynch’s economist David Rosenberg:

“It would take over three years to achieve price stability (in housing) The problem is that prices do not begin to stabilize until we break below eight months’ supply ? and they tend to deflate 3% per quarter until that happens. So as impressive as it is that the builders have taken single-family starts below underlying sales, their efforts are just not sufficient to prevent real estate prices from falling further. In fact, even if the builders were to declare a moratorium immediately, that is, taking starts to zero, demand is so weak and the unsold inventory so intractable that it would now take over three years to achieve the holy grail of price stability in the residential real estate market.”

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article9962.html

(3) Band Together with Like-Minded People?

My neighbors are all ‘fat cats’ who’d probably piss their pants and run away at the first sound of gunfire. This is one I have to work on.

More ideas, anyone?

not sweating the apocalypse just yet. The housing market here is amongst the least hit and most stable in the country…and my business is growing steadily.

I am making sure that I don’t have more than the FDIC insured limit in any one savings account.

• Slowly but surely acquiring the items on the “100 things that will disappear first” list I posted a while back.

• Keeping none of my wealth in banks, and very little of it in Federal Reserve Notes.

• Developing essential Boy Scout skills such as marksmanship, orienteering, wilderness survival, outdoor cooking, alternative medicine, gardening and the various crafts such as leatherwork, pottery and woodcraft.

• Strengthening ties with family and a few very trusted friends.

• Equipping a 4-wheel-drive vehicle with food, spare ammunition, camping gear, water purification gear, tools and other necessities in case the need to relocate should suddenly present itself.

• Keeping a positive attitude and a sense of humor.

I have to ask you, Headhunter. How defensible is this house?

You might not be a fat cat like your neighbors, but in a conspicuously nice house like this, you sure look like one. And fat cats will be the target of a lot of angry people if the worst case scenario happens.

I don’t know what the housing market in your part of Ohio looks like right now, but if I were living in your house with an attractive wife and beautiful daughter, I would think long and hard about either selling some of my toys and using the cash to fortify the place, or selling the house and moving to a more defensible (smaller, sturdier, less conspicuous house, more land, farther from urban area, more like-minded neighbors) location.

Just my two cents.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

You might not be a fat cat like your neighbors, but in a conspicuously nice house like this, you sure look like one. And fat cats will be the target of a lot of angry people if the worst case scenario happens.

I don’t know what the housing market in your part of Ohio looks like right now, but if I were living in your house with an attractive wife and beautiful daughter, I would think long and hard about either selling some of my toys and using the cash to fortify the place, or selling the house and moving to a more defensible (smaller, sturdier, less conspicuous house, more land, farther from urban area, more like-minded neighbors) location.

Just my two cents.[/quote]

Seems pretty defensable. He already has a mote. just put some crocs in there. Ok probably have to be sharks in that part of the country. Is it heated?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Just my two cents.[/quote]

Shhh! I don’t want HH moving to North Idaho. That’s too close to me!

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Varqanir wrote:

Just my two cents.

Seems pretty defensable. He already has a mote. just put some crocs in there. Ok probably have to be sharks in that part of the country. Is it heated?[/quote]

Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads!

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

• Equipping a 4-wheel-drive vehicle with food, spare ammunition, camping gear, water purification gear, tools and other necessities in case the need to relocate should suddenly present itself.

[/quote]

Just need to mount a 50 on top.