T Nation

How has your Confidence Changed?

lol that’s exactly what I’m talking about!
You just don’t know.
What if you were about to get in a fight with a 250lb guy, If I’m around 205 I think I can give him a good run for his money because I’ve trained, I know I have good skill and KO power. But if HE is skilled too…damn lol if I hit first and connect I will not worry. If he has the upper hand in the beginning, odds are not so good.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

well in that case, i guess i could get beaten in a ‘fight’ by a 100 lb highschool freshman girl wielding a gun.
[/quote]

Uhh… Yea. Yea you would.

Ahh… so am I. But “fist fights” don’t often stay “fist” fights unless you’ve drawn up a contract before you got into it… in which case they become “sports.”

You’d better hope you keep finding them like that, cause the skinny guys I know will just grab a weapon.

No problem. I get what your point is, I just disagree. I’ve known cats that were skinny as fuck and never touched a weight but were golden gloves boxers- one of them hit a bouncer so hard that the bouncer told the cops he got hit by a motorcycle helmet because he couldn’t believe the kid could hit that hard with his fist. Another friend shattered a pint glass on one guy’s face when he was challenged.

I myself got into a fight with a skinny guy once, couldn’t have weighed over 140. It didn’t matter when he slugged me with a full beer bottle though.

I don’t need any more illustrations than the shit I’ve seen, and I think if you underestimate what they can do you’ll eventually get fucked up by one of them when you cross him.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

i’m NOT here to debate how good i’d do in the UFC. i’m sure i would get demolished by those guys. but now we’re talking about guys who’s job it is to fight, and fight under EXTREMELY strict rules nowadays.[/quote]

Wait, so you’re taking away from the UFC because it’s under “extremely strict rules” but at the same time you’re saying that in the street, apparently there’s going to be some made up rule where you can only use your fists?

In case you didn’t notice, this doesn’t work out.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
blazindave wrote:
How seriously had that guy been boxing for those 5 years?

i don’t know, but serious enough that it brought on a very surprised reaction from the people from the gym who knew him.

i guess my end statement is…i’d much rather get in a fight against a small ‘well skilled’ fighter than a huge, strong guy with a basic understanding of MA.

i guess it’s important to note that I feel i have a pretty solid base of MA. I am lvl 2 combatives qualified in the army, have been boxing for almost a year, and have recently been studing KFM (which, btw, i think is freaking awesome)[/quote]

But see, you’re still putting yourself in the ring. You have THAT mentality.

“I’d rather fight a small, well skilled fighter than a huge strong guy.”

Why? Bareknuckle, a good flyweight boxer will light you up before you knew what happened. And remember- you’re not SQUARING OFF in the ring with him- he’s probably coming in from the side while you’re yelling at his friend in a bar, or hitting you from behind while you’re getting into it.

If he was little, why the fuck would he square off with you? Especially if you have any skill boxing?

The answer is, he wouldn’t. You also may be so much bigger that he’ll just grab a knife and stick you.

You’re in the army? Well then why the fuck aren’t you thinking like it? If you storm someone’s trench, are you going to drop your weapon and raise your fists? No, you’ll hit the guy with your entrenching tool, or you’ll fuckin pistol whip him, or some shit. You’d rather use a tool that will enhance your chances of survival, wouldn’t you?

Well, that’s the way a certain type of smaller guy will think if you corner him.

If you want to talk sport fighting, talk sport fighting. If you want to talk streetfighting, talk streetfighting. But you can’t mix and match them- the rules are completely different, and so are the environments. You still are keeping the “sport fighting” mentality- I can read it in your posts.

By the way bro- if that’s you in your profile, you’re a big motherfucker.

There’s not a chance in hell that I would ever come at you straight, ever. While on one side that’s a compliment, it also means that someone is way more likely to just come at you after your shift is over with a weapon. I wouldn’t fight you without something in my hands.

Again, get your mind out of the ring and into the alleys. It’s a whole different world.

(I’m not trying to pick on you, but these were points I felt should be addressed.)

okok. let’s take things here one at a time.

i apologize when i wrote ‘fist fight’ i meant it in general terms, not saying the only kind of fights are standup.

and for the sake of argument, i am referring to a fight between two guys and their hands and feet only.

understand that my limited ‘fighting’ experience comes only from ejecting drunk people out of a bar/club, as well as scraping with guys at a house party. nothing incredible

i DO NOT and WOULD NOT, cruise the streets looking for a fight. hell, i’d be the first guy to back out of a situation.

and speaking of weapons, do you not think the FIRST thing i’m doing upon approaching someone is looking to see if they’ve got a bottle in their hand, or if there is a pool stick, beer bottle nearby.

also, here in alabama, everyone and their mother carries a little knife in their front pocket. of course that’s something also taken into account when having to approach a guy.

the OP wanted to discuss how height and weight play a factor into determining you’re comfort level against an opponent. i’m saying the more i train, the less i am intimidated by ‘well trained small guys’ than i am of ‘huge, moderatly trained guys’

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
okok. let’s take things here one at a time.

i apologize when i wrote ‘fist fight’ i meant it in general terms, not saying the only kind of fights are standup.

and for the sake of argument, i am referring to a fight between two guys and their hands and feet only.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. But the argument in its essence I think belies the OP’s naivete (and maybe that of some of those sport fighters here also) to think that fights really go down like that outside of high school.

I can name many more incidents that I’ve been through or seen that involved some kind of improvised weapon than I can those that didn’t. The older you get, and the more drunk you are, and the more shit around you, the more likely you’ll encounter this kind of stuff.

I hear you. And I never said you did go looking for fights. I’m just replying.

That’s a good thing. Believe me.

[quote]
the OP wanted to discuss how height and weight play a factor into determining you’re comfort level against an opponent. i’m saying the more i train, the less i am intimidated by ‘well trained small guys’ than i am of ‘huge, moderatly trained guys’[/quote]

As I said, that would make sense if you were going into a ring or cage. But at a bar, there’s so many other factors that come in that to me, that’s almost negated (notice I said “almost”).

In my drunker days, I would pick fights with just about anyone because I knew I had a large amount of guys behind me that would cover my ass. It gets you almost arrogant having that type of safety net, and I never really considered that I’d have to fight one-on-one with someone way larger than me because… well, I never had to.

You’re a big guy, sure, but are you a drunk big guy? Are you in an tightly packed bar? Because if we’re infighting, I’m going to give you fits. I’ll also get away WAY quicker when the cops come.

I’m just saying, it’s shit like that that you have to consider. That’s why I reiterate that sport fighting isn’t streetfighting… or until, as Marc Macyoung says, they let ten of your buddies into the cage without making them go through a metal detector first.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
What’s up everyone, I decided to make this thread on confidence.
I’m sure quite a bit of people are curious about how your confidence has changed with training.

This goes to people in the army, and intermediate/advanced level fighters of any art (boxing, judo, muay thai, etc)

Now most of you when you go to a bar/club/anything with lots of guys, everyone judges everyone and shit and my question is how many of you who are in the army don’t give a shit/aren’t intimated by any humans (men) that you see out on the streets/bars/clubs, espeically if they are staring you down etc.
Same question goes for intermediate/advanaced fighers.
This goes for the fact that even if they are HEAVIER and TALLER than you…do you still have confidence, are you even slightly intimiated or could you care less and give a shit if you had to fight them because well you been through combat (army + fighters).
example: if your let’s say 185lbs and 5’10. And a guy 225 6’3 wants to fight you. You are a trained fighter, or have been trained in the army (real serious training)…are you intimidated, or do you have supreme confidence that you can take him out? Do you even think about what strength he might possibly have? What his skill might possibly be? Or do you just go for it?

I’m wondering because I think it’s very interesting looking at the mindstate of fighters/combatants etc.

Thanks![/quote]

hmmmm…interesting question. i’ll preface this by telling a little about myself. i’m a cop (for about 7 years), Army infantryman (i was active duty but have been in the Guard for a total of 14 years), studied muay thai, and Army Comabtives and police defensive tatics. i’m also 6’1" and 240 (a kinda fat 240, though)…

for the most part, i can handle myself. on the street, i’ve never had any issues…however, i’ve had the dumb luck in my life, that whenever i get too cocky, i try something else. i started seriously training BJJ about a year ago, and was humbled imediately. sloppy technique i thought was “explosive” was immedaitely crushed by technique (well, you guys know how it is)…

i think for me, the more training and experience i have makes me more and more cautious. while i’m still confident, i’ve learned from personal experience that i’m not always gonna be able to win the way i want to.

for me, getting in the BJJ and MMA for me was a good eye opener to my own complacency in training. ironically enough, i’ve stomped most of the people i work with, but very few of them training to increase their skills. defniately have some ego issues…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

i think for me, the more training and experience i have makes me more and more cautious. while i’m still confident, i’ve learned from personal experience that i’m not always gonna be able to win the way i want to.

for me, getting in the BJJ and MMA for me was a good eye opener to my own complacency in training. ironically enough, i’ve stomped most of the people i work with, but very few of them training to increase their skills. defniately have some ego issues…

[/quote]

So true.

fightinirish is right in so many ways lol.
Although I’m bigger now 205lber, I still have small man mentality because I been small my whole life and then gained some good muscle over a couple years but I still have small man mentality to the fight. If a BIG guy 6ft and anything over were to start yellin at me givin me shit and talkin fight words.

I’m going to throw my punch right as he gets close to me, more so because I ahve the confidence I’ll KO him. I know some big guys will yell at a smaller guy for intimidation and the smaller guys friend throw that punch you never ever see coming lol.

Just like the time I went to a bar and a guy out of nowhere confronted me and I really thought he had a knife on him or something, so I got his attention off guard by saying hi to someone…as soon as he turned his face…BAM!

That is true cycobushmaster…but at the same time you are training BJJ. You are going into their realm, of course that isn’t good tactics if it’s going to be a REAL fight.

BJJ outside for the most part doesn’t work lol. If a guy grabs you and wants to throw at your while holding you. Standing arm breaks DO work and will really fuck your shit up in the arm. All breaking of limbs on the street should be standing. Also a standing armbar. If you are on top of the guy, anyone who’s taken a combat class once you got his arm standing…it is easy to snap it standing.

But if it’s just going to be a fight where a little bit of shit talk is going on for breaks I only trust standing breaks for the arm/wrist etc. And then elbows, headbutts, knee’s, and biting for close quarter.

Punches in bunches for long range, haha if there is space and your really good at it and won’t fuck up. HED KEEEK!!!

HED KEEK!!!

lol, this needs some kind of graphic to go with it, then maybe i’ll put it on a shirt.

look, there’s really only one way to go about this, we’re all going to have to meet up sometime (t.nation seminar?) go out, and make some heads roll. truly the only way rasturai can gather relavent data.

Bushmaster - is there a strict doctrine in terms of hand to hand combat for your department? how effective do you feel it is?

you know what macaroni, i totally agree with that…it really is the only way to gather the data ahah

look at my video by the way of my HED KEEK!!! lol

fuck i was JUST about to comment on it b4 u posted.

what’s even better is i’m not sure if you went to suplex him, or get a quick hump or two in once he stood up.

I grew up small. As a high school freshman I was 5’8" and 120 lb. When I graduated I was 6’2" 205lb, now I continually fluctuate from 205 to 235. I’m trying to get to 210 from 225 right now at 6’3". That being said, I grew up with, and still have, to some extent the “small guy” mentality.

As such, I don’t worry about fighting. I’ll concede defeat if it will stop a fight from happening, but if it goes down, I can handle myself. I have been in the Army for around 4 years, so I have a decent amount of training in a few different disciplines. When my buddies are in a tiff, I’m the first one they call. But I talk the other guy down all the time (so far).

haha im obviosuly goin for the hump macaroni, its the ultimate in violating my opponent haha.

I think it could be of your height Hazmaticus. Also with the fact that if you come in very calm and sound reasonable, civilized. It turns off the mood of angry, lets fuck shit up! So technically you are not being defeated! good job man lol

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Now most of you when you go to a bar/club/anything with lots of guys, everyone judges everyone and shit and my question is how many of you who are in the army don’t give a shit/aren’t intimated by any humans (men) that you see out on the streets/bars/clubs, espeically if they are staring you down etc.

[/quote]

Guys are the last thing I’m worried about when out at clubs/bars. Staring you down? I don’t even acknowledge that shit.

Yeah but that’s because your 6’4, 230 and 9% BF lol. It’s harder for you to become a victim cause people don’t want none.

You also didn’t acknowledge the whole post:
Same question goes for intermediate/advanaced fighers.
This goes for the fact that even if they are HEAVIER and TALLER than you…do you still have confidence, are you even slightly intimiated or could you care less and give a shit if you had to fight them because well you been through combat (army + fighters).
example: if your let’s say 185lbs and 5’10. And a guy 225 6’3 wants to fight you. You are a trained fighter, or have been trained in the army (real serious training)…are you intimidated, or do you have supreme confidence that you can take him out? Do you even think about what strength he might possibly have? What his skill might possibly be? Or do you just go for it?

Heavier or taller would be a pretty big guy, and they teach us in the Army not to attack unless you are confident you would win. If they are heavier OR taller, it would depend how much so. Are they a bean-pole? I would go. Are they a short, flubber-like dude? I would go. Someone like Macaroni, not so much. Has me by a few pounds, but I got him by 5 inches, and he’s not fat. I would talk that one down. If they are heavier AND taller, and look as though they have ever done any physical activity in their life, I would by him a beer and tell him he’s lucky to have such a beautiful girlfriend lol.