T Nation

How has your Confidence Changed?

What’s up everyone, I decided to make this thread on confidence.
I’m sure quite a bit of people are curious about how your confidence has changed with training.

This goes to people in the army, and intermediate/advanced level fighters of any art (boxing, judo, muay thai, etc)

Now most of you when you go to a bar/club/anything with lots of guys, everyone judges everyone and shit and my question is how many of you who are in the army don’t give a shit/aren’t intimated by any humans (men) that you see out on the streets/bars/clubs, espeically if they are staring you down etc.
Same question goes for intermediate/advanaced fighers.
This goes for the fact that even if they are HEAVIER and TALLER than you…do you still have confidence, are you even slightly intimiated or could you care less and give a shit if you had to fight them because well you been through combat (army + fighters).
example: if your let’s say 185lbs and 5’10. And a guy 225 6’3 wants to fight you. You are a trained fighter, or have been trained in the army (real serious training)…are you intimidated, or do you have supreme confidence that you can take him out? Do you even think about what strength he might possibly have? What his skill might possibly be? Or do you just go for it?

I’m wondering because I think it’s very interesting looking at the mindstate of fighters/combatants etc.

Thanks!

vulcan death grip

Ive done BJJ for 3 years with a good amount of competition experience. From what ive learned theres a good balance between confidence and fear. Fear builds that respect for an opponent which is necessary since a fight can turn either way at any moment.

As for that situation, im sure everyone on here can agree that as a bunch of testosterone driven guys we’ll be more then glad to square off against another guy regardless of weight or size to prove our own value.

I know people who are practically indestructible and look like wimps (skinny as fuck, etc).
Everyone is taller and heavier than me…so lol.
I don’t take face value when judging an opponent. I just assume they are better than me.

I am still however confident (i have respect but i am not scared). If i have to fight, i go all out, regardless of what the person looks like. However the challenge is fun, like moneymike said.

Hmm you could also relax when you go out instead of trying to size everyone up… but I guess it’s normal to get into stare-downs where you go bar-hopping.

Try being the only girl in the class at sparring time. Being small is something you have to use as an advantage because its all you have. Either that or you can cut weight like crazy to fight and be too weak.

For me being short means getting in close.

in that case, you can put me in your guard anytime you want.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I know people who are practically indestructible and look like wimps (skinny as fuck, etc).
[/quote]

I call bullshit. granted, they may have been slightly inebriated, but the small, skinny mofo’s who claim to be mma guys that i have had to eject out of the bar/club i work at have been absolutly crushed.

there comes a point where strenght and size DO come into play, and i don’t give a crap HOW bruce lee you are, if you’re 5’5 and 110 lbs, i’m going to smash your face if we get in a fight.

i second the motion… i wish it wasnt true but it is

Disagree, skill is most of the time going to best weight and height advantages. You’re forgetting as a bouncer you have far more real experience than they do. (However yes I do agree with your topic on these wankers who do BJJ or something for 3 weeks and suddenly think they are badasses)

What I’m saying is, if you get into a one on one blue with Kenny Florian, chances are he’ll put you in hospital.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

blazindave wrote:

I call bullshit. granted, they may have been slightly inebriated, but the small, skinny mofo’s who claim to be mma guys that i have had to eject out of the bar/club i work at have been absolutly crushed.

there comes a point where strenght and size DO come into play, and i don’t give a crap HOW bruce lee you are, if you’re 5’5 and 110 lbs, i’m going to smash your face if we get in a fight.[/quote]

That’s the farthest thing from the truth there is. There is a reason old time fighters say to watch out for the little guy… they will often hit you first because they’re smaller, or just grab something to use as a weapon.

Some of the toughest guys I know are skinny fucks, and only because they’re willing to take that fight farther than you are. Size doesn’t matter when you’ve got a broken bottle in your eyes.

true say

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

blazindave wrote:

there comes a point where strenght and size DO come into play, and i don’t give a crap HOW bruce lee you are, if you’re 5’5 and 110 lbs, i’m going to smash your face if we get in a fight.[/quote]

The guy in question is 5’10 and about 160ish. He has tremendous skill and can take a beating like there’s no tomorrow. He fought in the world tournament at like 18 years of age and this year is going to russia for another world tournament (he’s turning 21 soon).
Size can and does come in to play and maybe it depends on the type of fight it is (street fight versus legal tournament fight with rules) but needless to say if he has that much skill, it’s already an advantage to him.
And everyone is a mma guy today, so i don’t think you should care when people say shit like that.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Disagree, skill is most of the time going to best weight and height advantages. You’re forgetting as a bouncer you have far more real experience than they do. (However yes I do agree with your topic on these wankers who do BJJ or something for 3 weeks and suddenly think they are badasses)

What I’m saying is, if you get into a one on one blue with Kenny Florian, chances are he’ll put you in hospital.[/quote]

maybe most of the time it will. i’m saying at some point strength and size DO come into play. i’ve been taking boxing seriously now for about 8 months, and i recently was asked by a guy who’s been boxing for 5 years to spar. He was 5’9 and 165lbs but ‘more skilled’ so apparently it would be a fair fight. I knocked him out in less than two minutes. the same against bjj guys, these much smaller guys have the mantra in their head that ‘superior technique will always beat strength’ which may be true if the strong guy knows nothing. however if he has any idea of what he’s doing, the smaller guy is going to get worked.

i’m NOT here to debate how good i’d do in the UFC. i’m sure i would get demolished by those guys. but now we’re talking about guys who’s job it is to fight, and fight under EXTREMELY strict rules nowadays.

How seriously had that guy been boxing for those 5 years?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

That’s the farthest thing from the truth there is. There is a reason old time fighters say to watch out for the little guy… they will often hit you first because they’re smaller, or just grab something to use as a weapon.

Some of the toughest guys I know are skinny fucks, and only because they’re willing to take that fight farther than you are. Size doesn’t matter when you’ve got a broken bottle in your eyes.[/quote]

well in that case, i guess i could get beaten in a ‘fight’ by a 100 lb highschool freshman girl wielding a gun.

i’m strictly speaking of getting into a fist fight with a guy NOT in the dojo or on the mat.

i’ve been hit first by the little ‘tough’ guy. hell i’ve been blindsided by one, and i’ve been double legged and slammed by them. but so far i’ve ended up dominating every guy smaller than me i’ve had to fight.

**i apologize if i come off sounding like a cocky asshole. my goal is not that, just simply to illustrate my point that i truly believe that if a big, strong guy has any idea of what he’s doing, he’s going to wipe the floor with a much smaller guy.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
How seriously had that guy been boxing for those 5 years?
[/quote]

i don’t know, but serious enough that it brought on a very surprised reaction from the people from the gym who knew him.

i guess my end statement is…i’d much rather get in a fight against a small ‘well skilled’ fighter than a huge, strong guy with a basic understanding of MA.

i guess it’s important to note that I feel i have a pretty solid base of MA. I am lvl 2 combatives qualified in the army, have been boxing for almost a year, and have recently been studing KFM (which, btw, i think is freaking awesome)

Maybe you’re a prodigy :stuck_out_tongue:

lol.

i’m just saying dave…

No problem, you don’t come off as arrogant anyway.

It’s next to impossible to make a general statement regarding an individual’s ability to matchup with every hypothetical situation.

I train with a guy who doesn’t compete in submission tourneys (anymore) or MMA, but would wipe the floor with almost everyone on here…whenever competition level blackbelts or grapplers show up he is up and up with all of them, generally getting the better of them, from lightweight to heavyweight. And he looks like he’s never trained anything in his life.

The only true measure of oneself in regards to your training is whether or not you are improving. Could the you of today beat the you of yesterday? While it’s all g to strive to be the best, ultimately there will only be a few that reach that pinnacle - I’m not saying don’t strive for excellence - only recognize that at the end of the day, the true measure of success will be found in whether or not you are better now than you were before.

I think the underlying theme of this is that you won’t get fucked up as bad by the former fighter than the later. That is probably true as someone that is exceptionally skilled will utilize technique to neutralize you while the bigger, less skilled dude will probably just try to mash you into oblivion. Unfortunate if you run into the super skilled dude that is feeling mean and breaks both arms, chokes you out, then pisses on you - I’ve actually heard of this account conducted by one of our more esteemed representatives of BJJ.

If anything my training has made me less sure of the people I run into on a daily basis. Against the unskilled I would no doubt run shop, but who knows what kind of skill set the dorky looking dude is rolling up with.