How Has Covid Affected You?

My office went completely Work From Home temporarily for those who can

Working through some refunds for my flight to vegas

It is

Turns out because of my “cold” the whole family have to self isolate for 14 days. Jesus, I’ll probably end up in gaol for murder in a few days. FML.

Spring break was extended for a week, and strong hints at online classes for the remainder of the semester.

I have a few jobs - tech center at my college (shut down), at the local YMCA (shut down), newspaper delivery (hinting at going online for the remainder of this), and bouncer - voluntarily stopping this since being around several hundred drunk and potentially unhealthy people every weekend sounds unappealing. So my income has gone down to basically zero.

My dad’s a bricklayer - he was just laid off right before all this happened due to lack of work, and had other works opportunities in other states but doesn’t want to travel now. Mom’s a stay at home, and now all of my younger siblings are going to be home 24/7 for a while.

So the fam’s not in a great situation either.

We’ll survive, it’ll just be tight.

My aunt’s an art teacher in Minneapolis and says they’ve debated shutting down schools due to so many kids getting their only meals from schools. My family on reservations in the area have the same fears.

All the daycare’s have shut down and I know a lot of people who can’t afford to take off work are at a loss with what to do with their kids.

Not a huge issue, but just the boredom and lack of things to do for disabled children, or kids in very rural areas/inner cities is too bad, as well.

I think this really highlights the disparities in wealth. Not “mad” at it per se, but some relatives are working from home, taking vacation, going to their cabins, planning family activities, while some are racking up debt trying to keep the lights on while their jobs are shutdown. It’s nothing new, just sad to see.

1 Like

Wealthy people will be all the richer after this is over. They have money to buy stocks at 1/3 of the price, while poor people are pulling whatever savings they have to survive.

5 Likes

Closed all the gyms and schools in my province.
God I miss the gym already , gotta adjust to working out at home…
My son is hella depressed about school, cant see his girlfriend .
I worry about my parents. My mom’s almost 70, but she stays in mostly.

Oh and I’ll add to myself
They’ve made us work from home, I already was so no change for me, but they cancelled corporate challenge! It’s not until may like damn i was gonna crush badminton

School got shut down and moved to online classes although not for a grade
I do have a home gym though, but I’m still injured so I can only squat

Im really bored
Should probably send the 1 grandparent that lives with us back to China

My state shut down all schools.

So today we covered safety, ppe, ventilation, and “being a badass”.

The kid rocked it well.

11 Likes

Just got a email from one of the 2 gyms I use LA Fitness. Effective immediately all gyms are closed till at least 4/1. I’m sure my other will follow.

54 cases in my state and now all the gyms are closed, bummer. Work was also very slow today after it finally started to pick up, was hoping to start saving up some money as I’m moving in less than 3 weeks

My friend hooked me up a an account for “thequadguy.com” but his workouts require a gym. Such an amazing workout every workout so I am bummed. Leg day at home with flimsy equipment isnt great. Gunna buy a squat rack this week

Look at the recent Alan Thrall videos. He has some pretty good advice for working out at home with minimal equipment. Lunges, pistol squats, wife on back squats are all pretty good for lower body. Push ups, pull ups, are pretty good for upper body.

I have dumbbells up to 45s, so that will help a bunch. Not ideal, but should be able to maintain what I have pretty well.

I went home to Israel out of concern I might not be able to get back. Spent 14 days in quarantine (like everyone).

Now I mainly just have my days/nights screwed up. (It’s dinner time here.) So I am sitting on my deck, looking at spring grapes turning green and drinking a glass of wine.

Mrs. Jewbacca is at the hospital here, as it is all-hands. Apparently even OBGYNs are getting called in for back up and training. Currently, she’s done nothing but deliver a baby that really didn’t need all that much help coming out.

Youngest kids’ school is disrupted, so grandpa is on home school duty. The new math is pissing him off.

I am on the board of 3 NYSE exchange companies. Lots of calls re: staffing and the fact that all our stocks are in the shitter for no logical reason. I’d be a buyer if I was legally allowed. But am buying other companies that have no logical reason to be down. Also lots of discussion regarding balancing legit fears and goldbrickers who are taking advantage of the situation.

But everyone is home, healthy, and we have a bedroom for almost all daughters (the youngest two have to sleep in the same room, which they do anyway in the USA, despite having separate bedrooms).

I will dead lift in the AM.

1 Like

If you have good experience buying single stocks I would love your input over on the “investing corona version” thread. I am investing in oil, air lines and cruise lines, as well as the index funds I always invest in through my 401K.

As far as impact to me, I no longer have a gym to go to :frowning:

I do have dumbbells up to 45s, a couple 25 lb and 10 lb standard weights, and I plan on buying a pull up bar. Big arms here I come.

I do have tons of information to share, but it would get you and me (and probably anyone reading) arrested for insider trading.

So all I will say, is look for companies that have free cash flow (that is, actually make money) and are trading at less than NAV. There are tons to pick from right now — so much that M&A activity will be switching to buying public companies and taking them private.

It’s truly irrational.

2 Likes

I’m currently working from home and it’s interesting to think about how this might affect me and the workforce in the future. If I drove to work, I’d spend $18/day on parking but I take public transportation which is only $5. Two - three days a week I eat out for lunch ($10) and get coffee every morning ($2.50). Because I’m on wifi at home I could (conceivably) reduce my cell plan and save another $30/mo.

My company employees a decent number of entry-level CSRs who make $36k - $42k/year and who work out of some pricey digs in an urban high-rise. So, while they’re not poverty-level, discretionary funds aren’t plentiful. But if they could work from home, beside saving the ~ 60-90 minutes a day of travel time they could also save $200 - $300 in travel, coffee, food, etc. per month. It’s interesting to think about the structural changes that will take place and how our “raises” may come in the form of more free time and less expenses associated with working outside of the house rather than a dollar or two an hour on top of our current wages.

2 Likes

I was thinking about this too. Both my wife and I drive 100 miles each day to and from work. We pack our lunches 4 days a week and usually eat out on Friday. With us both teleworking, we’re saving a ton on gas alone and probably elsewhere.

It hasn’t really had a big impact just yet…but it’s probably going to start to get quite sucky within the next few weeks. I have a home gym though so training is covered at least.

I think my blood pressure is up. I don’t which I would rather go away: the virus or the people talking about it.
East Tennessee: Lots of mom and pop type businesses are hurting. Tourist industry is kind of taking a hit, but there are also a lot of people coming here to get away from the crowds.