How Good is the ROI on a Home Gym for a College Student

For the keg. Go to a beer distributor and ask for one with a broken valve seat. Ours charged me the $25 deposit.

I can’t find hex dumbbells for reasonable prices. Got the 1" shaft with plates and collers. Works well enough.

1 Like

How about dem adjustable/all-in-one/plate loadable dumbbells?

1 Like

Legally, you can only buy a keg from a keg distributor, which is like $120. You can rent a keg, pay the deposit and never return it, but you never actually bought the keg in that instance. It is like checking out a library book, never returning it and just paying the fine; the library still owns the book.

3 Likes

I just listed my odd numbered dumbbells on CL for 75 cents a pound. All I’ve gotten is three responses from foreign scammers wanting my name and address so they can mail me a check and I’m supposed to let them know when I’ve deposited it. I’ve told them all I am Mike Ockurts and gave them the address to the house in Los Angeles where the Wonderland murders we’re committed.

3 Likes

This is all true. If you go to the distributor and ask to buy one where the frat idiots ruined the bung they can sell it to you cheap. Use a $5 pipe plug to close it up. Makes it easy to adjust the water. Also if you use it in the winter time you can put wood pellets in it instead of water. They still “slosh” around inside the keg which is what you’re after with a keg (unstable load).

1837220_4

I dislike the loadable dumbbells - I had them at uni and I hated using then. I ended up buying a second set to make loading a tad less annoying.

The powerblocks are pretty neat (ease of use plus space) but you pay for it.

I have also accumulated a bunch of good weights off Craigslist. I have bought whole sets that included parts I didn’t need like racks and benches, then sold off the extras. A lot of my plates were practically free. I have also given starter sets to family members. All you need is patience, for buying and selling, and a little bit of storage space.

2 Likes

Another place to look other than Craigslist is Facebook Market. I’ve found a few things on there.

1 Like

I love this. I mean the facebook market. I see great stuff all the time. I just saw an entire gym set up for $2,000. If I didn’t already have one, I’d go get it.

1 Like