How Good Is Brett Rogers Really?

I’ve watched a bunch of his fighters and he seems pretty tough. Alot of his toughness seems to come from an iron jaw, abnormally long arms and a stocky physique. These combine to make him an incredible puncher in a cage match.

However, I can’t help but feel he is just sort of an off brand Anderson Silva alternative, and has never really been put up against anyone truly sturdy.

I mean he knocked out Arlovski, and quicker than Fedor did…but, Sylvia also beat up Arlovski, what the heck does that say?

I guess we’ll see in this upcoming fight how good Rogers really is against stiff competition.
But I don’t even think you can make Vegas odds on this fight because, there is not a single person on the face of this planet, to put any money on Rogers.

How Good Is Brett Rogers Really? And not to be a fan boy, but if he’s so good, why isn’t he in the UFC?

Here’s him smashing in a bunch of fat tomatoe cans, these fights make up half of his undefeated streak. These guys are so sloppy they make Roy Nelson look like Frank Zane.

Here are his pro fights.

Frankly I’ve been trying to figure this out my damn self… I wish him all the luck in the world vs fedor though

He was brought up in a thread awhile ago, and while none of us really know I’m really impressed by him. He doesn’t seem to get rattled, has big power and is unbelievably accurate, especially considering his “brawling” style. While I think his chances are slim at best against Fedor I also think he’s capable of shocking the world. With that I wish he had some more top level fights before he got tossed in with the best mma fighter on the planet.

Brett Roger comes across as a likable, marketable fighter and an aggressive striker. Most of his fights have been brawler style fights as opposed to true MMA. While he’s shown some takedown defense, and probably has legitimate ground and pound it’s tough to say until we really see it. It will be interesting to see what happens with Fedor. Emeianenko has had many fights where he weathered the storm only to come out on top, and The Grim definitely brings the storm.

As for his position in mma organizations, he went from local fighting in Minnesota to being signed by EliteXC when they were debuting new names to try and brand themselves, and was picked up for Strikeforce. It’s interesting to point out that there was almost a year between each of those transitions, but when he’s fighting he’s fighting regularly. I don’t know his injury history or possibly contract negotiation disputes, but the guy is 10-0 and caught Arlovski with his pants down.

Speaking of Heavyweights in Strikeforce. is Overeem ever going to defend that title? It’s a month short of two years. (I know he injured his hand recently, but let’s get that title going, fellas!)

In conclusion (lol), I like him, and want to see him fight more!

Tim Sylvia is ok if you don’t knock him out right away.

Why compare him to Anderson Silva anyway? There’s no real similarities I can think of… erm, they’re both black and have sort of long arms, I guess?

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
Why compare him to Anderson Silva anyway? There’s no real similarities I can think of… erm, they’re both black and have sort of long arms, I guess?[/quote]

That’s so absurd I guess it didn’t register, ha.

Anderson Silva is UFC’s incredible striker guy.
I guess Brett Rogers is subbing for Alistair Overeem in this category for Strikeforce.

I made the comparison because UFC & Strikeforce are competitors.

[quote]3IdSpetsnaz wrote:
Why compare him to Anderson Silva anyway? There’s no real similarities I can think of… erm, they’re both black and have sort of long arms, I guess?
Anderson Silva is UFC’s incredible striker guy.
I guess Brett Rogers is subbing for Alistair Overeem in this category for Strikeforce.

I made the comparison because UFC & Strikeforce are competitors.[/quote]

i would say brett rogers is a powerful puncher but NOT an incredible striker. Anderson silva is the whole package good footwork, defense, feints, power, and he mixes up his offense so its way less predictable then most MMA fighters. Rogers just punches hard. I’ve seen 4 of his fights and though most ended quickly in the fights that didnt i saw good takedown defense and power but he’s a bull he doesnt use angles and he REAL predictable. NO WHERE NEAR COMPARIBLE!

About all you could say for him so far is that he’s got bricks for hands, vicious in the clinch and I really, really would not want to get hit with one of those knees.

I just think.

I’ve seen EVERYTHING, he has in more, in a more junior Wanderlei Silva.

So I don’t think he’s anything special. Maybe in the underexposed American fighting league he is something, but even on the Pride level, he’s C grade.

I honestly hope he is some sort of dark horse that shocks the world, and has an incredible sub game or something and we just never really heard about it. Like he was competing under a pseudonym or something for years then just explodes on the scene :-p

[quote]3IdSpetsnaz wrote:
I just think.

I’ve seen EVERYTHING, he has in more, in a more junior Wanderlei Silva.

So I don’t think he’s anything special. Maybe in the underexposed American fighting league he is something, but even on the Pride level, he’s C grade.[/quote]

lol, stop comparing him to lighter, legendary fighters. A more junior Wanderlei (Pride era) was a legend. Brett is some guy who changes tires for a living and is just breaking onto the scene now. Great KO of Arlovski, but now he has a mountain ahead of him. Fedor will fight a smarter fight.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
Fedor will fight a smarter fight.[/quote]

I’m not entirely sure of this.

With age, Fedor’s style has definitely changed a bit. He’s a tad less aggressive initially, for instance.
And he’s not the type who’s all defensive save for some kind of shoot or clinch just because it’d be wiser.

Fedor WILL trade with Rogers and Rogers WILL come out guns blazin’.

So I think Rogers definitely has a chance.

The Russian never played it that safe.

anyone has a chance in mma. However 99 out of 100 Fedor simple owns Rogers. Rogers just isn’t in the same realm as Fedor.

i can’t wait for this one…

I defff agree w/ Schwarz - Fedor’s style has changed a lil. It will be a battle…of 10 seconds:P
we’ll see something good come Nov…

theres always a punchers chance so Rogers def. has a chance and in a flurry that will most likely happen between the to someone is getting caught.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Nikiforos wrote:
Fedor will fight a smarter fight.

I’m not entirely sure of this.

With age, Fedor’s style has definitely changed a bit. He’s a tad less aggressive initially, for instance. [/quote]

How do you figure this? He beat Tim Sylvia in just over a half a minute with a barrage of strikes and finished with a submission, basically the same style he was using in Rings years ago.

The Arlovski fight he looked tentative, but according to his camp, he only trained a little bit.

Here’s info on that fight from a sports illustrated article:

If criticism can be levied against a performance ending with a knockout that will be mentioned among the best of 2009, Emelianenko’s longtime trainer, Vladimir Voronov, seemed happy to do so. Several whiskeys into celebrating his fighter’s first defense of the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight belt, the 43-year-old trainer stood just outside his camp’s jubilant dressing room and spoke as if Emelianenko had stolen something.

“He’s obviously got unbelievable potential, but he had some distractions getting ready for this fight,” Voronov said through an interpreter. “The movie. The commercials. If Fedor wants to keep winning, and winning well, he needs to train professionally. Right now he won with his old tricks.”

“The fact that Fedor won, don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy about. But he won this fight because of the training before this fight. The experience he had before this fight. The trainers did everything we could to get him ready. But for title fights, we can’t train the way we trained for this one.”

The specter of Barnett forced Voronov to take a breath. It means a serious training camp, he said, more than the month they took for Arlovski.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/josh_gross/01/25/affliction.2/index.html#ixzz0TqRi2eO5