T Nation

How Good is a 600lb Deadlift?

I hit 600lbs @ 245 4 weeks ago. Did it raw, not even a belt, though belts really only seem useful when squatting heavy. Wonder how that stacks against others.

well I am not a expert but that 2.5 times your body wieght and it was raw so that has to be respectable.

1 Like

Id say that is right where you should be tell you the truth I think with your weight you could probably get up much higher with ease…

I think it is pretty fucking awesome!

2.5 times bodyweight is pretty good

Better than respectable, its good!

How good it is depends on how hard it was for you to get there.

Otherwise it depends who you’re comparing yourself to.

[quote]Con@n wrote:
I hit 600lbs @ 245 4 weeks ago. Did it raw, not even a belt, though belts really only seem useful when squatting heavy. Wonder how that stacks against others. [/quote]

Thats pretty good in my eyes @ around 2.5% your weight. Its 12.5 lbs off of being exactly 2.5x your weight but still good. If you want an article related to this and standards for other lifts check out Tim Henriques Are You Strong article, you can find a link in his article best exercises for size and strength. That article can be found on the second page of the view all section of the articles for 2009. I don’t remember when the are you strong article came out but i know theres a link in his other artcile I mentioned. Also check on google and search “strength standards” and you should find some other list that mention criteria for people of different bodyweights. No matter how you stack up on those charts though that is still a respectable amount of weight, how long have you trained the deadlift for?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
How good it is depends on how hard it was for you to get there.

Otherwise it depends who you’re comparing yourself to.[/quote]

I agree, how long it took you to achieve that is a good question to ask. And heres a link for you to check out http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html, according to this your ELITE. So keep up the good work and don’t stop deadlifting.

Tbh when you start to move to heavier weight classes relative strength decreases. 2.5x bodyweight at 242 is harder than 2.5x at 165 like.

So fair play, that’s really strong pulling.

I don’t know much about competition lifting anymore…but when I’ve seen guys pull 6 in the gym I’m impressed.

[quote]John33 wrote:
Id say that is right where you should be tell you the truth I think with your weight you could probably get up much higher with ease…

[/quote]

get up much higher than a completely raw 600 pound deadlift eh? -why dont you explain exactly how to do that at his weight so you can save him some of the headaches of time and effort?

to the OP, that is definitly something to be proud of in my book…to me, once you hit 500, you’re doing pretty ok, 600 is quite strong though (in my mind)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Tbh when you start to move to heavier weight classes relative strength decreases. 2.5x bodyweight at 242 is harder than 2.5x at 165 like.

So fair play, that’s really strong pulling.[/quote]

quoted for truth, nobody cares if some guy can deadlift 2.5X bodyweight if he also weight 100lbs-i know i wouldnt give a shit

[quote]brian.m wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Tbh when you start to move to heavier weight classes relative strength decreases. 2.5x bodyweight at 242 is harder than 2.5x at 165 like.

So fair play, that’s really strong pulling.

quoted for truth, nobody cares if some guy can deadlift 2.5X bodyweight if he also weight 100lbs-i know i wouldnt give a shit[/quote]

I ‘give a shit’- always have and always will. If a lifter is working hard and trying to improve; I support those efforts regardless of their starting point.
2.5x bodyweight is good pulling-period.

thats nice, we can agree to disagree
-i would still be more impressed at 250 than at 100

edit-Obviously i support anyone whos lifting and all that bs, but it doesnt mean i’m impressed with the strength levels of everyone who lifts

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Tbh when you start to move to heavier weight classes relative strength decreases. 2.5x bodyweight at 242 is harder than 2.5x at 165 like.

So fair play, that’s really strong pulling.[/quote]

Except there are 165ers who pull that…which you know. But either way for anyone to pull 600lbs they are strong as shit.

Facko, but then those 165ers arent at 2.5X bodyweight anymore now are they?

[quote]brian.m wrote:
Facko, but then those 165ers arent at 2.5X bodyweight anymore now are they?[/quote]

The point I’m trying to make is…at a lighter weight, you end up having to do a lot more in terms of “relative to your body weight” to reach impressive numbers, especially in the eyes of others. 165er pulls 450 and its just not impressive to people… I put on 100lbs to my frame I’m pretty sure I’d be damn close to 600, as I’m pretty damn close to 500 now at 176ish…just saying…

i know and understand the point, as i used to subscribe to it more, but at heavier weights (lifted, not bodyweight) its just more stress on the system overall, and i’ve learnt that its not linear-and thats the point that always goes missed when talking about relative terms

regardless, we should prob just give props to the op because this is his thread and i’m sure hes worked hard regardless

sorry about the hijack

That’s a damn good lift, especially with no gear. Congratulations!

Now start working to 700!