T Nation

How Few Calories to Lose Weight?

I know this is a dumb question but I’m trying to end a debate with a friend of mine. I say to optimize your diet (losing weight fast but keeping as much muscle as possible) you need to eat roughly 18x your weight minus 20%. and obviously do some cardio (without going into the science of carbs and fats). So if you are 180 lbs its like 2600 calories.

If you eat something like 2000 calories at that weight you will lose weight faster but generally because you are losing more muscle than you think right?
All of this still holds true with AS?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Absolutely depends on person to person. Everyone is different as far how many calories is right for dieting. Something like the formula you presented would be a good starting place (along with weight training) but you really just have to toy with it on your own to figure out exactly what works for you.

I can really only say what Higgins said, there is no single “correct” number. It varies from person to person based on their genetics, how active they are, etc. You can make estimates like what you did with the 18x your weight minus 20% or whatever, but its not like thats the magic number. It’s mostly trial and error to find the amount of calories that results in enough of a deficit to lose weight, but not too much that your body goes into some sort of survival mode.

[quote]studying4mytest wrote:
I know this is a dumb question but I’m trying to end a debate with a friend of mine. I say to optimize your diet (losing weight fast but keeping as much muscle as possible) you need to eat roughly 18x your weight minus 20%. and obviously do some cardio (without going into the science of carbs and fats). So if you are 180 lbs its like 2600 calories.

If you eat something like 2000 calories at that weight you will lose weight faster but generally because you are losing more muscle than you think right?
All of this still holds true with AS?

Thanks in advance for the responses.[/quote]

No. You can go lower than 2600 without losing muscle. Without AAS. Well, everyone is different. But I would say most people at that size could certainly go a good bit lower than that and still maintain muscle. But it’s not all about lighting fat loss.