T Nation

How Fast Does Turmeric Kick In?

I just picked up some turmeric/curcumin, and was reading some more about this, and was wondering how fast it worked for them?

i’ve got some pretty bad bursitis in my shoulder, and am hoping this kicks in quicker than fish oil did (which i presume it would, as they work by such different mechanisms)…

I’m interested in this as well, my shoulder has gotten pretty bad.

The pain-relieving properties of curcumin (provided you got a brand that has piperine in it to aid with absorption) should kick in quickly – hours rather than days.

The anti-inflammatory properties will take a little longer (inflammation, of course, plays a part in pain, too) – day or two or three.

[quote]TC wrote:
The pain-relieving properties of curcumin (provided you got a brand that has piperine in it to aid with absorption) should kick in quickly – hours rather than days.

The anti-inflammatory properties will take a little longer (inflammation, of course, plays a part in pain, too) – day or two or three.[/quote]

awesome…thanks for the info!

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]TC wrote:

The anti-inflammatory properties will take a little longer (inflammation, of course, plays a part in pain, too) – day or two or three.[/quote]

awesome…thanks for the info![/quote]

Hey would you mind sharing your experience here. Interested in hearing how much it helps.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]TC wrote:

awesome…thanks for the info![/quote]

Hey would you mind sharing your experience here. Interested in hearing how much it helps.[/quote]

yeah, will do… to be fair, i’m trying a CVS brand (and not a higher quality brand by Biotest), but i’ll update as i can…

Ive decided to try it as well. I have tried it before but not for an extended period of time. I will take 2 capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 632 mg of curcumin with 5 mg of piperine.

The stuff is expensive. Would an alternative be taking a couple of spoonfuls of curcumin powder from the spice rack and a teaspoon of pepper for the piperine???

tweet

thebird, curcumin is a substance in turmeric (the stuff in your spice rack).

There’s no way to tell how much actual curcumin you’d be getting. You’d have to eat a bellyful to get a therapeutic response, but even so, there’s just no way to figure out dosage as the amount would vary between each bottle of turmeric.

Thanks TC.

Would advocate taking it everyday?
Is it something that should be cycled?

tweet

Sure, I take it every day, and there’s no apparent need to cycle it.

I read somewhere that one should take curcumin on an empty stomach.

Is this necessary?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

Is this necessary?

tweet[/quote]
Curcumin is fat soluble, so no. You SHOULD take it with fat (although the bioperine will help absorption without the fat). No knock to Biotest supplements, but bioperine bugs my stomach (burning sensation), but the research does show it to help absorption. Think about how millions of people eat turmeric… curry is a fat rich sauce (though not standardized for curcumin). Removing sugar and vegetable oils (at least temporarily) should help reduce inflammation as well, although real olive oil will not hurt.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

Is this necessary?

tweet[/quote]
Curcumin is fat soluble, so no. You SHOULD take it with fat (although the bioperine will help absorption without the fat). No knock to Biotest supplements, but bioperine bugs my stomach (burning sensation), but the research does show it to help absorption. Think about how millions of people eat turmeric… curry is a fat rich sauce (though not standardized for curcumin). Removing sugar and vegetable oils (at least temporarily) should help reduce inflammation as well, although real olive oil will not hurt.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Do you take it yourself? Have you heard about much about the use of turmeric for the protection from Alzheimers?

tweet

pretty interesting stuff

looking at Biotest’s curcumin, they’ve got 500 mg per capsule. Going by this study showing avg. 3.14% curcumin content in pure turmeric powder, that means you need very roughly 16.5 grams of turmeric to get the same amount of circumin. My kitchen scale is showing that as a little less than two tablespoons of the stuff. I’m going to try eating more turmeric. I only really know of one recipe that could practically let me get two+ tablespoons of turmeric without getting sick of the stuff lol, it’s a strong spice for sure.