How Fast Can You Deadlift 20,000 Pounds? Try this Challenge

A conventional deadlift. As in, not a sumo deadlift.

2 Likes

315 (or more) for 30 minutes, 2 reps every 30 seconds

A bit tougher version of this: Tip: Take the Half-Hour Deadlift Challenge

Both deadlift challenges sound interesting. What’s a good weight for us hobbits under 150? 225 for the EMOM doubles? 265 for the OP’s challenge?

Whatever weight keeps you under 100 reps total to reach 20,000 pounds.

1 Like

your gym is weak.

And I agree with pwnisher. Describing higher rep sets, or touch and go, as ‘the easy way out’ is nonsense. Doubles and triples for the whole duration would be so much easier.

You asked us how efficiently we could finish a challenge, so we were coming up with the best ways to complete said challenge. Then you came up with a bunch of lame parameters that made this very uninteresting. There should be at least SOME problem solving to this.

Anyway. I’m out. I’d rather train for progress, not whatever this has become.

4 Likes

In all fairness, Flip, the OP did say no touch n go and no sumo in his opening statement. The high rep thing was added. I think doing it as a high rep finisher would be awful anyway so let @T3hPwnisher punish himself (I tried to think of another word there but couldn’t).

I recall how quickly (and pathetically) fatigue took over in the 405 Deadlift Challenge.

Touch n go would only help in terms of bouncing if you’re using 135. It does help me keep tension and use a little bit of stretch reflex. When I pause I lose tension and just seem to fall apart lol! Anyway, it’ll be awhile before I’m deadlifting again so this is just reading material for me.

1 Like

yea, i didn’t care about the no sumo part. and the tng part doesn’t affect much either, I would do dead stop anyway. I prefer to release the tension every rep. I burn out faster in tng.

1 Like

Exactly. Deadstop for high reps sucks much less, haha.

1 Like

If you think you could get a good workout trying something like this then you’re going to do it any way you like. But if there’s going to be number comparisons there has to be basic parameters to follow. Touch and go reps create an advantage. Look up the definition of a deadlift. It’s lifting the weight from a dead stop position. Period.

Doesn’t need to be a debate. To much talking and not enough lifting.

cool man. sounds like I could learn a lot from you.

10 Likes

I haven’t deadlifted since the 405 challenge and I was thinking about coming out of retirement for this. Unfortunately I deadlift all wrong, so I’ll step aside and let the real iron warriors duke it out.

6 Likes

Says the guy deadlifting 415 to a couple of 600+ deadlifters.

The Internet continues to roll this week. Really great stuff.

12 Likes

Says the guy deadlifting 415 to a couple of 600+ deadlifters.

The Internet continues to roll this week. Really great stuff.
[/quote]

I’m just regular guy strong. Not freaky strong like some of you around here.

Not being stronger than you doesn’t make me wrong.

Anyway, challenge is no touch and go.

A guy at my gym did it in 8 minutes but he said he did touch and go.

Why not try it the way I’ve set it up and see what time you get. If you’re the beast you look like in your avatar you’ll smoke most of the people who try it.

Think about creating time savings by lack of rest between sets as opposed to how fast the individual reps are.

what weight did he use, and with what set/rep scheme?

So no touch-and-go, so sumo and no high reps.

What about footwear? I’d probably get more advantage from deadlifting barefoot vs in shoes than I would touch and go. Those centimeters add up over 50 reps.

What about bar thickness? There’s a big difference in bend between a Texas Deadlift bar and the old Gronk Power bar I used for so long. Combine a whippy bar with no shoes and you might as well be taking all the steroids.

Wouldn’t aggressive knurling be an unfair advantage too? Real deadlifters have strong grips and shouldn’t the rules put that on display by using shitty bars? Or even better, axle bar only.

I didn’t see any mention of straps either, but everyone knows they are for weaklings so I’m assuming they are out.

Let’s not forget bar height either. Should plates be a standard diameter? This is REAL deadlifting we’re talking about here, and everyone should start at the same bar height. Because a real deadlift starts at an arbitrary bar height, regardless of how that height works to the advantage of some and disadvantage of others.

Let’s get these details sorted out. Otherwise you’ll just end up with people doing it in a way you won’t approve of, just like the 405 challenge. Sure it had a great turnout of members at all kinds of strength levels pushing themselves hard, but it was practically the Wild West of internet deadlift challenge. Some used straps some used an axle some even did touch and go. What a disaster!

18 Likes

I actually might try this on the weekend. I’d have to go much lighter than most of you to get there though. Probably going to use straps aswell.

I do all my deadlift training with straps. I certainly wouldn’t want to do this strapless, my grip would be fried for a week.

@guineapig no sumo…not for me. Think I could get it done in 3 sets.

1 Like

What the strategy though? 585 x 12ish give or take x 3 sets?

1 Like

405 for 16-17 x3 sets. Maybe 5-6 min

3 Likes