How Fast Can the Body Absorb Protein?

How fast can the body absorb protein? Is it even worth having a serving (ie: protein drink) that has 64 grams of protein? I mean, can the body handle all of that protein at once, or is some of it wasted? Is it smarter to take less protein at more frequent intervals?

Thanks,
Ivan

You only weigh 135 lbs. That’s a lot of protein at once for your body weight. If you’re trying to gain weight, you should be eating 6-8 times a day with protein at each meal. Do a search for John Berardi and Lonnie Lowery. Their articles are the best regarding nutrition and protein needs.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
You only weigh 135 lbs. [/quote]

I don’t think many beginners understand how vital a fact this is as far as their own goals. If you weigh 135lbs, why are you trying to digest 60+ grams of protein at one time? That is nearly half of what your overall daily goal should be…for what? If you are eating six times a day and only weiugh 135lbs, you should have NO problem at all getting enough protein from FOOD without any supplementation at all.

If you were 235lbs, that would be a different story.

Chances are, at 135lbs, that is too much for YOUR body to handle. It would not be too much for MY body to handle. Why? Because I weigh twice what you do. The larger the body, the greater the chances that more protein would be needed and absorbed at one time.

No one has any exact amounts of how much your body will always absorb.