T Nation

How Far Would YOU Go?

Would you put innocent men into prison, if doing so could give you power, political power?

"Nifong has tried to portray himself as simply making “mistakes.” This is absurd. Not even a half-wit like Nifong could have believed “something happened in that bathroom,” as he said during his disbarment hearing last weekend. He was willing to send three innocent men to prison to improve his electoral viability in a heavily black district and to become a liberal hero in Manhattan salons.

Admittedly, Nifong studiously refused to take a peek at the evidence. On March 29, 2006, he told reporters he knew a rape had occurred based on ? I quote ? “my reading of the report of the emergency-room nurse.” That report was not given to the police until April 5, 2006, making it the equivalent of the forged Nigerian letter Joe Wilson claims to have debunked eight months before it surfaced at the CIA."

http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/welcome.cgi

Ann Coulter needs to get her head out her ass and sip her latte…

Don’t worry Ann…

The Prisons and Jails won’t suddenly be over-run with falsely accused, affluent White Males…(that’s the job of Black and Hispanic Males…)

And Nifong is a Dead Man Walking…

It’s Sunny Days again; Jupiter is aligned with Mars; and the “Duke Three” are Free at last…free at last…thank God Almighty, they be FREE AT LAST!!!"

What’s her point?

What does she want to happen?

Maybe have the Black Community of Durham put those guys on their Christmas Card list? (Hey…maybe have Seligmann, Finnerty, and Evans play the “Three Wise Men” in their Church Christmas recitals?)

Bury Nifong, move on and get a Life…

Mufasa

Oh…

And to answer your question, HH…

No.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I concur.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Would you put innocent men into prison, if doing so could give you power, political power?

[/quote]

No.

Which is why none of you will ever make it in politics.

It`s a darwinian process.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Ann Coulter needs to get her head out her ass and sip her latte…

Don’t worry Ann…

The Prisons and Jails won’t suddenly be over-run with falsely accused, affluent White Males…(that’s the job of Black and Hispanic Males…)

And Nifong is a Dead Man Walking…

It’s Sunny Days again; Jupiter is aligned with Mars; and the “Duke Three” are Free at last…free at last…thank God Almighty, they be FREE AT LAST!!!"

What’s her point?

[/quote]

You’re usually pretty sharp and on the ball. I’m surprised here.

One of her points is that our society has evolved to blatant group baiting, that wealthy or well-off people MUST BE GUILTY of something. The fact that the Duke players came from rich parents and the ‘victim’ is a poor and black girl means that the boys were AUTOMATICALLY guilty, facts be damnned. Nifong was actually ignoring facts.

If you read Ann’s column (which I know you won’t), you’ll see that Nifong’s was an attack on ACHIEVEMENT simply because IT WAS achievement. ‘How dare you be rich while others are poor!’ and all that vile (pre-capitalist) crap.

Our society is sick, choking on a dish of altruism.

Missed it, and you don’t know me too well, HH…

And I have read (and read) her column…

Nifong was wrong; clear-cut/no argument…

Coulter and her ilk have acted like 1) this is first time someone has been falsely accused (please…) and 2) wonder where the Black Community of Durham is…

I’m calling Bullshit, 'cause it ALL stinks…

“Bull City”…“Chocolate City”…(that’s names for Durham from WAY back in the Day). Nifong was the PROSECUTER for that city, where close to 1/2 of those households either have a loved one in prison and/or on Probation.

He was no “friend” of that community…he just needed their votes.

And I guess the Lacrosse Team was “just providing employment” for that downtrodden community?

THANK ‘YOU mista’ Duke Man, 'suh!

…but no thank you…

Next time, get one of those Duke Coeds that was probably blowing half the Team to strip for you…

(Rant button off…)

Mufasa

HH…

There are a LOT of things about this whole case that really anger me (INCLUDING what happened to the Players)…

So I’m not really being my usual impartial self…

My apologies…

Mufasa

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

One of her points is that our society has evolved to blatant group baiting, that wealthy or well-off people MUST BE GUILTY of something. [/quote]

I’m not too worried about Coulter’s view, but I think this point is a good one. I’m especially disappointed with the way the University handled itself in this case; firing the coach and basically throwing these students under the bus.

And all those ‘educators’ were so quick to abandon any connection to these guys, I would be seriously pissed at the whole staff. If any of my kids were considering Duke, I would over-rule them because of the schools shitty attitude toward it’s students.

Concerning Duke:

I think that they just OVERreacted due to the Legal AND political environment we have in the U.S. In all fairness, they probably made the “least-worse” decision they could make AT THE TIME ! (Hindsight, blah, blah).

The players and their families have reportedly gotten some nice settlements.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Concerning Duke:

I think that they just OVERreacted due to the Legal AND political environment we have in the U.S. In all fairness, they probably made the “least-worse” decision they could make AT THE TIME ! (Hindsight, blah, blah).

Mufasa[/quote]

Add me to the list of people who is very surprised at your reaction.

I just want to make sure you’d be making the “reportedly gotten some nice settlements” comment if the accused were black.

You sound pretty callus about this.

Remember how these kids were pilloried by nifong, jackson, and sharpton.

Guilty be virtue of race and money.

JeffR

The settlement is just a statement of a fact…no more/no less. Don’t read a lot into that, because there is nothing there.

By the way; recent history has shown that a wrongly accused black and/or poor person will take, on average, about 20 years before they are exonerated. (Without DNA AND the diligence of a LOT of outsiders, they will otherwise just rot in jail).

AND THATS ALSO WITH A LOT OF HOLES AND MISCONDUCT IN THE PROSECUTION OF THE CASES!

So PLEASE guys…save the “equal justice” stuff for someone who buys it; and use it in ALL cases of injustice, not just with these 3 guys.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
The settlement is just a statement of a fact…no more/no less. Don’t read a lot into that, because there is nothing there.

By the way; recent history has shown that a wrongly accused black and/or poor person will take, on average, about 20 years before they are exonerated. (Without DNA AND the diligence of a LOT of outsiders, they will otherwise just rot in jail).

AND THATS ALSO WITH A LOT OF HOLES AND MISCONDUCT IN THE PROSECUTION OF THE CASES!

So PLEASE guys…save the “equal justice” stuff for someone who buys it; and use it in ALL cases of injustice, not just with these 3 guys.

Mufasa[/quote]

What he said.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
HH…

There are a LOT of things about this whole case that really anger me (INCLUDING what happened to the Players)…

So I’m not really being my usual impartial self…

My apologies…

Mufasa[/quote]

No reason for apologies…hell, I’m used to Wreckless. ;D

It IS a shame that race plays any role whatsoever in American life. I hold the black community in high esteem for having survived so long in such a racist society. I can’t imagine having the brain power of a doctor or scientist but having to be a janitor, because of race. Pure evil, plain and simple.

I don’t know why the Duke kids hired black strippers — maybe to humiliate them, having poor girls have to wriggle their hips for them for money. They’re probably a bunch of true shitwads, but they didn’t rape the girls and don’t deserve to be used by Nifong this way.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Concerning Duke:

Mufasa[/quote]

I’ve been a teacher for 26 yesrs. The rule for the slightest bit of controversy is: Fire the teacher. That’s what lawyers tell schools. When in doubt, fire the teacher. That’s why Duke did what they did, aka CYA.

They didn’t bother to check any facts, they didn’t bother to ask the students, they didn’t look for witnesses. Fire the teacher (coach). The faculty did the same thing signing the petition.

A society choking to death on Altruism…

Thanks, HH…

Look guys…let me state this again…

THOSE 3 KIDS AND THEIR FAMILIES WERE WRONGED!

But just listening to some people, you would think that miscarraiges of justice started and ended with these three.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I’m not sure why you are trying to tie in all of societies’ inequities into this case.

The grievances these three have are just as legitimate as any other.

Discussing who is wronged more often (poor/black) doesn’t change anything in this case.

It’s almost like you are throwing your arms up saying, “Hey, it happens all the time. It’s bad, but get over it. They’ve got a nice settlement.”

Rubbish.

Further, all the slime that were promising scholarships to this accuser due to race should be exposed and forced to apologize before getting any more press.

Again, your response to this is surprising to me.

I would have guessed that you’d have been happy justice was done. No more no less.

Finally, I must have missed the part where anyone on here claimed that this was the first time there was prosecutorial abuse or rush to judgement.

If it was the 1,000,000 th time, these kids STILL didn’t deserve the bad press nor the “we’re out to get you” because you are white and rich crap.

JeffR

(See my last response above…)

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
(See my last response above…)

Mufasa[/quote]

I have to say, it is nice that no one is defending nor deferring to sharpton and jackson.

JeffR