How Far Out Do You Plan?

Just a curious question for my fellow PL’ers.

How far out do you all map out your training for a meet? I’m eyeballing a meet for late february which would give me about 15ish weeks to train for it.

But back when I first started I didn’t even plan for it. I hope I’m just getting smarter and not older.

16-18 weeks, gives me 4-6 weeks of prep with a 12 week training cycle.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Just a curious question for my fellow PL’ers.

How far out do you all map out your training for a meet? I’m eyeballing a meet for late february which would give me about 15ish weeks to train for it.

But back when I first started I didn’t even plan for it. I hope I’m just getting smarter and not older.[/quote]

Same as above. I’ve learned over the past two pre-comp training programs that I really peak after 4 weeks, so trying to maintain progress over 6 weeks is too much for me.

As soon as I know my dates I have a VERY rough plan set out this year it was 8-10 months for my most important meet.

I’m planning roughly 10 months in advance for the first meet I have in mind and 16 for the second.

Planning on setting some LARGE PR’s, haha.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I’m planning roughly 10 months in advance for the first meet I have in mind and 16 for the second.

Planning on setting some LARGE PR’s, haha.[/quote]

holy jesus.

haha i guess.

well i guess i don’t feel too bad planning out 2-3mo. but this IS after quite a hiatus from PL’ing thanks to a sweet injury.

here’s to smashing PR’s!

Two months or so. But often, the plan changes and I’ll end up doing a different meet depending on injuries/professioanl obligations/training partners.

6-7 weeks for a peaking cycle but we basically plan out a training year which includes several different training phases.

We have sucessfully prepped lifters for meets as little as 4 weeks out, although this is obviously not ideal.

Im not a competative PL’er so my views are a little out of place, but I dont plan in advance at all. Its just the way Ive found to work best and how I would do it even if I were competing. Even each week, I basically only know what days are upper and lower, and that i’ll likely bench, squat or deadlift on those days, but everything else is not planned.

If I were to compete, i’d probably cut back on volume a bit 2-4 weeks before the competition though.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Im not a competative PL’er so my views are a little out of place, but I dont plan in advance at all. Its just the way Ive found to work best and how I would do it even if I were competing. Even each week, I basically only know what days are upper and lower, and that i’ll likely bench, squat or deadlift on those days, but everything else is not planned.

If I were to compete, i’d probably cut back on volume a bit 2-4 weeks before the competition though.[/quote]

The problem with this approach is you come away from the meet with no meaningful data to guide your peaking cycle for the next contest.

Seriously, that is probably one of the stupidest approaches I have ever heard.

If you don’t compete just keep it to yourself.

I’d say about 12 weeks minimum, but I don’t put individual sessions in stone. My plan is more of an outline.

The group I train with all do about the same. About 8 weeks. 6 weeks training progressively heavier, lowering reps. About three weeks out we try to hit our heaviest week, hopefully hitting PR’s. Then what we hope to do for our second attempts 2 weeks out, and we only do openers a week to ten days out. We don’t lift the 6-7 days before the meet. Now understand that we’re all old fucks; younger lifters may be able to work longer cycles and not de-load so long. But we get beat up if we don’t.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Planning on setting some LARGE PR’s, haha.[/quote]

x2

I set up major goals, with mini’s goals that I want to have before getting ready for any actual meet prep.

4 weeks, then deload, then once I get to the next 4 week cycle, I’ll worry about it then.

I have a meet in late April and ANYTHING can happen between now and then. I focus on getting through my current cycle, then once that’s complete, I worry about the next till I get close and adjust accordingly throughout.

No one can ever do a 12+ week cycle without changing the set up, especially to work around injuries, other obligations, etc.

Rough plan between 10-12 weeks out, but like synthetickiller said, alot can change during that time

8-12 weeks. Have to sort out figuring openers, deloading, and also getting in a solid block of training. I don’t have the minutiae of each workout figured, but I know what my main exercise is going to be and what I want to work on with my supplementary movements and accessory work.
So I just have an outline and then fill in the blanks depending on my physical state/commitments.

I usually do a 9 week training cycle. That way I can break it down into three 3 week mini cycles.