How Far is too Far for a Decent Gym?

[quote]DukeTango wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:
I drive anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes 3 times a week depending on traffic.

Are you in Houston? I would drop my 24 membership at the drop of a hat if I could find a strength oriented gym with bands,chains,boards, bumper plates, etc… I’d also drive for up to an hour-ish to get there.

Whiteflash:

I haven’t been here in a few years (I’m in Austin now), but check out: http://hanksgym.com/
[/quote]

Thanks man. I’ve actually been to Hanks. It’s been a few years, but last time I was there it was somewhat under construction and they were making it more “fitness crowd” oriented. Hope that’s changed.

I’ll be going to my university gym soon.
It’s 25km away (about 18 miles).I have no car cause i’m a poor bastard. Gotta take transportation. Takes me over an hour to get there. I go to the gym about 5 times a week.
If i had a car it would take me 20 minutes. The reason i go is because it’s so damn cheap.

too far is over an hour and a half and completely out of your way (i spend alot of time near my university so it ain’t so bad).

Gotta do what you gotta do.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:
I drive anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes 3 times a week depending on traffic.

Are you in Houston? I would drop my 24 membership at the drop of a hat if I could find a strength oriented gym with bands,chains,boards, bumper plates, etc… I’d also drive for up to an hour-ish to get there.[/quote]
Yep, I drive from the NW Side/Galleria area to the gym near Clear Lake.

You have a PM.

currently, I walk for an hour, and the gym is not well equipped at all… only free weights, and basic cable maschines (if you can call them machines)…

but membership is free, and the way i see it, most important thing is to train… so i have to do what i have to do so i can train…

My current gym is a 5 second commute (my garage).
When I was stationed at Naval Training Station Great Lakes, I used to drive 60 miles one way to Calumet City and lift at Quads Gym. The pay off, I was able to meet Ed Coan and have him help me with my lifts for six months.
Yes, it is worth it to go the extra mile when you want to train.

I’m gonna say it depends on your level of commitment and your goals related to what you’re working to accomplish.

With that said I’d stay within an hour drive. Right now I go to one 5 mins away and one about 20 mins away. I’d rather go to the one 20 mins away but if time is a factor (which lately it has been) I’ll go the one 5 mins away.

Its an hour by bus to my Uni gym from home. when York was on strike for 13 weeks this year, i was still here 4 days a week. Starting this past monday, I’m training with Clint Harwood’s crew in Toronto, which is about an hr 45 by transit to get to. definitely worth it

[quote]UHCougar05 wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:

Are you in Houston? I would drop my 24 membership at the drop of a hat if I could find a strength oriented gym with bands,chains,boards, bumper plates, etc… I’d also drive for up to an hour-ish to get there.

You have a PM.
[/quote]

Thanks man. I’ve tried writing you back three times but don’t think it went through. I live three blocks from the Galleria and am down to make that move. What’s membership and do they plan on getting db’s heavier than 95’s?

I train at my university’s gym, which is a 30 second jog from my apartment hah.

It’s a fucking shitty gym though.

5 minute drive across town. the gym isn’t ideal, but its never crowded, has DB’s up to 150’s and the price is right. not many douchebags there either.

I drive past two fitness centers on the way to the Powerhouse Gym I go to and I drive right at 25-30 mins depending on traffic but would drive a lot farther before I would ever give up and train at one of those fitness centers.

I think this depends on your situation. Family and time needed to spend with them, job situation, other responsibilities. If you have to drive an hour drive an hour as long as it doesn’t affect your responsibilities and things that you have to do in order to make a living etc.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
my gym is a grueling 7 minute walk from my apartment through the mean streets of boston’s north end. yeah, i’m that hardcore.

seriously though, the gym is tiny, crowded, and not terribly well equipped, so there’s the trade off.

[/quote]

well

it could take 14 minutes if every tourist asked you were to get the best lasagna

my gym is like a 15-20 minute walk

my old gym was like a half hour, with a bus involved.

so i guess my limits are 15 minutes. but thats for a “decent” gym as you put it. for an AWESOME gym, id be willing to take a half hour. by “AWESOME” i mean like the EliteFTS facility or Metroxflex

unfortunately for me my school is finally building a gym.

i go to a community college so theres no football or major resources but turns out we have one of the best community college basketball teams in the state, possibly the country ( i dont really follow it ) so theyre building a gym, but ill most likely have graduated by the time its open to the public. but i hope im wrong and am able to lift there, even if just once or twice just to show off.

As soon as you think to yourself “I would go workout, but its so far” then its too far. If you never think that, then its not too far.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
I’m gonna say it depends on your level of commitment and your goals related to what you’re working to accomplish.[/quote]

This is a very good point.

I would not commute more than 30 minutes for facilities if I wasn’t a competing athlete. Makes no sense really.

I live 10 minutes away from my gym. Most of the commercial gyms are near it, so distance isn’t a thing, but I lift at an awesome PL gym.

It has, however, taken 30 at times because it’s hard to drive in the rain…

The garage gym where we do our equipped training is about 5 minutes from my folks place, and an hour and a half from where I am normally.
On Saturdays we get two guys who travel over an hour to train. One of them travels 100 miles to do it.
I think that anything up to 2-3 hours away is not too far for once a week or once a fortnight. More than an hour is too much for your “normal” gym.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
UHCougar05 wrote:

You have a PM.

Thanks man. I’ve tried writing you back three times but don’t think it went through. I live three blocks from the Galleria and am down to make that move. What’s membership and do they plan on getting db’s heavier than 95’s? [/quote]

Not sure about the DBs, but I pay 40 bucks a month. The owner also gives a discount to current/former military.