T Nation

How Far is too Far for a Decent Gym?

In your opinion how far is too far for you to drive to a decent gym?

I drive 20-40 minutes depending on traffic. I would drive up to an hour I think. Maybe more as gas is cheap again now. You’d be surprised what you can get used to.

That’s dedication brotha!! Holy hell!

Agreed, anything over the hour mark is too much, especially if you are frequently at the gym.

I have a gym at home, a gym 20-30 minutes away that i go to a couple times a week and a gym 2 hours away that i go to two to eight times a month depending on training schedule.

I enjoy going far to the gym cause it gives me time to think about my workout and ensures im concentrated as hell when i get there.

My regular gym is 5 minutes. My PL gym and coach’s place are about 40, but I don’t go to them regularly.

I drive anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes 3 times a week depending on traffic.

my gym is a grueling 7 minute walk from my apartment through the mean streets of boston’s north end. yeah, i’m that hardcore.

seriously though, the gym is tiny, crowded, and not terribly well equipped, so there’s the trade off.

I go to the university gym 1-2 times a week(5 min) and my buddy’s garage 2-3 times a week(30 min). I’m willing to drive 2-3 hours every few weeks to train with some other lifters, though.

Man all of you are some dedicated individuals…

I have it rough. I have to walk all the way down the block. And sometimes it’s windy.

Also, when answering this question there are a few things you have to keep in mind.

1. How many gyms are closer to you?
  2. How do those gyms compare to the great one that’s far away?
  3. Does the difference in quality justify the difference in time commitment?

For me, there are probably 5 gyms closer to me, but they all suck. The best powerlifting gym in Pittsburgh, owned by one of the strongest powerlifters in the world, is 20-40 min away. No fucking contest.

Yeah, I’m not really in that kind of situation…There are plenty of gyms around me that are ok for the average lifter-I’m more making a stand against assholes who wont let me use chalk and do the lifts I want to do in their facilities. I know there are some great places within and hour to and hour and a half-just looking for a place where real lifters can do what they need to do without getting bitched at by corporate pansies who have nothing better to do than complain about Chalk

[quote]UHCougar05 wrote:
I drive anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes 3 times a week depending on traffic. [/quote]

Are you in Houston? I would drop my 24 membership at the drop of a hat if I could find a strength oriented gym with bands,chains,boards, bumper plates, etc… I’d also drive for up to an hour-ish to get there.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Also, when answering this question there are a few things you have to keep in mind.

1. How many gyms are closer to you?
  2. How do those gyms compare to the great one that’s far away?
  3. Does the difference in quality justify the difference in time commitment?

For me, there are probably 5 gyms closer to me, but they all suck. The best powerlifting gym in Pittsburgh, owned by one of the strongest powerlifters in the world, is 20-40 min away. No fucking contest.[/quote]

1. What will it cost you?

It takes me 30-45 minutes to get to the gym I train in, too much for me would be more than an hour and a half.

UHCougar05 wrote:
I drive anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 20 minutes 3 times a week depending on traffic.

Are you in Houston? I would drop my 24 membership at the drop of a hat if I could find a strength oriented gym with bands,chains,boards, bumper plates, etc… I’d also drive for up to an hour-ish to get there.

Whiteflash:

I haven’t been here in a few years (I’m in Austin now), but check out: http://hanksgym.com/

30-60 minutes depending on traffic and time of the week to the training hall. 6 days a week. Commuting sucks, but its worth it to work in a quiet location surrounded by other dedicated individuals and your coach.

Anywhere from 30-60 min. Damn Boston traffic.

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Yeah, I’m not really in that kind of situation…There are plenty of gyms around me that are ok for the average lifter-I’m more making a stand against assholes who wont let me use chalk and do the lifts I want to do in their facilities. I know there are some great places within and hour to and hour and a half-just looking for a place where real lifters can do what they need to do without getting bitched at by corporate pansies who have nothing better to do than complain about Chalk [/quote]

If you can get to one of those places once a week, it will help out a lot just by being around people who have the same mentality as you do towards lifting.

My PL gym is about 45 minutes away, on a very good day (2 hours to get there in traffic, once). Since I started working at a gym 2 minutes from my house, I’ve been too busy to get to the PL gym and that bothers the hell out of me. Nothing like powerlifting in a gym full of gangsters who only work biceps and do pull-ups. I miss the guidance and encouragement from the other PLer’s. Not to mention the understanding of what a bench shirt.