How Far Has Our Metabolism Slowed/Turning 40

I will be 40 this year and I am heavy as I have ever been. This is Nation and we can’t show weakness on here. But I gotta say I am not what I used to be. I feel like I am in my 20’s but my body tells me differently. Any advice from seasoned lifters is appreciated.

Basically, your going to have to adjust things accordingly based on trial and error. One your recovery rate will be slower from training and second your metabolism will be slower. Of course in most cases the slowing of the metabolism in most people are age has to do to a point in general drop off in activity levels in some cases.

I put on 3-5# just driving past McDonald’s

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
Basically, your going to have to adjust things accordingly based on trial and error. One your recovery rate will be slower from training and second your metabolism will be slower. Of course in most cases the slowing of the metabolism in most people are age has to do to a point in general drop off in activity levels in some cases.[/quote]

Exactly, I think it’s a point of experimenting with exercise and intake. Throwing in a few mobility drills during the day and walking whenever possible seems to work for me and keeps the metabolism going. A few bodyweight snacks here and there and one workout/ day.
Oh, btw. kettlebell swings seem to have quite a booster effect on metabolism (44 this year).

I will turn 51 this year. I have lost 80# since 2006, the last (and hardest) 25# in the last 1.5 years. It ain’t easy, but if I can do it at 50, for damn sure you can do it at 40. The point being, your age is a valid excuse for many things, but being overweight/out-of-shape is not one of them–if you want it bad enough, you can do it. (And if you don’t do it, it means you really didn’t want it that bad to begin with.)

/tough-love speech

I’m 44 and have come to the conclusion that everything just takes longer now: progress, recovery, body comp changes, etc. A bunch of consistent hard work, rest and supplements def help. Sublingual deer antler velvet is legit for me. Amazing results in expediting recovery, reducing DOMS, better sleep & leaning out the physique. Hair & nails are growing like craazy too. The good stuff ain’t cheap but it’s effective at helping my body operate like it did a couple decades ago. I’ve been using it a bit over 60 days now & they say it’s even more effective with long term use. I’m already sold.

DT, what brand are you using? I have looked at several but wasn’t sure which to get. I am 37 and recovery definitely takes longer. I do find when I am more concerned with my eating plan, everything is better (obviously)… and multi’s and supplements seem to have more impact than 5 years ago. I cant/won’t quit lifting “heavy” (heavy for me anyway) so I would like to try this stuff. Thanks

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
I will turn 51 this year. I have lost 80# since 2006, the last (and hardest) 25# in the last 1.5 years. It ain’t easy, but if I can do it at 50, for damn sure you can do it at 40. The point being, your age is a valid excuse for many things, but being overweight/out-of-shape is not one of them–if you want it bad enough, you can do it. (And if you don’t do it, it means you really didn’t want it that bad to begin with.)

/tough-love speech[/quote]
Are you on HRT?

I have been for a year now and makes a big difference, feel safer doing this through my Ins instead of buying deer antler in a bottle.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

Are you on HRT?

I have been for a year now and makes a big difference, feel safer doing this through my Ins instead of buying deer antler in a bottle. [/quote]

I get mine right off the deer. A little more risk involved, but I think it’s worth it for the fresh stuff.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

Are you on HRT?

I have been for a year now and makes a big difference, feel safer doing this through my Ins instead of buying deer antler in a bottle. [/quote]

No, and I’ve never had my levels checked. Have to admit I’m kinda curious, though.

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
This is Nation and we can’t show weakness on here. [/quote]

My guess is you never played ball in college and/or set the world on fire pre-40…much like the rest of us…NOW…you want to take you life-wisdom and all of a sudden implement what you failed to do in your 20s and 30s…hold off on them hammers hombre…take it easy, but beat the shit out of it…not sure if this makes sense but

1. I love ya…glad you’re here
  2. Add 5 lbs to your lifts every month and get bad-ass for 40 over time
  3. Lose 2 lbs every month…

Basically what I’m saying is you sound like you want to be the toughest 22 year old in the bar…lay back and work slowly, but surely to your goals.

Did I mention I love ya?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

Have to admit I’m kinda bi-curious, though.[/quote]

You sir are not afraid to share…carry on!

Does that mean you love me too?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

Are you on HRT?

No, and I’ve never had my levels checked. Have to admit I’m kinda curious, though.[/quote]

Yep friend of mine is an Ortho Doc and has a longevity clinic, checked my levels and my total T was 246 or so. I am surprised I did not grow a vagina.

Been on 150 mg Test Eth weekly and 1 mg of Arimidex weekly, has made a big difference in a lot of ways.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
This is Nation and we can’t show weakness on here. [/quote]

My guess is you never played ball in college and/or set the world on fire pre-40…much like the rest of us…NOW…you want to take you life-wisdom and all of a sudden implement what you failed to do in your 20s and 30s…hold off on them hammers hombre…take it easy, but beat the shit out of it…not sure if this makes sense but

1. I love ya…glad you’re here
  2. Add 5 lbs to your lifts every month and get bad-ass for 40 over time
  3. Lose 2 lbs every month…

Basically what I’m saying is you sound like you want to be the toughest 22 year old in the bar…lay back and work slowly, but surely to your goals.

Did I mention I love ya?[/quote]

that thread turned out pretty hilarious. I recently thought, I was stalling somehow, then went back on page one of my (now full) paper journal I started in august. Wrong big time! Weight gain, 5 kg, lifts and pretty much anything else went up big time, still pathetic tho, but that’s ok.

I love you too guys (uh-oh!)