T Nation

How Expensive is London?

For an American? I may have the opportunity to spend a few months over there for my job, and I was wondering if anyone who had been over there recently had a few examples of what some common things cost in dollars so I could get a feel for the living expense that would be involved.

They’d take care of housing and whatnot, but in terms of food, drink, entertainment, etc., I’m trying to figure out how much worse it is over there. I’m imagining New York plus a premium for the crappy dollar.

Also, how much do you pay to get Biotest over there - particularly the Protein Powders?

Thanks in advance.

Tell the truth, you don’t care how expensive things are, you just want everyone to know where you fancy job is sending you. j/k

Are you getting per diem also?

As for living it really depends on where you go, to be honest London is a real major shit hole nowadays (in most inner areas)

I used to knock about in Brixton but I wont even go there anymore.

Where abouts in London will you be staying, its so big and diverse the difference of 5 miles could mean living in the ghetto or a nice area (much like NY i guess)

Biotest products are:

Biotest HOT-ROX Extreme
110 Capsules £35

Biotest Alpha Male
74 tablets (37 x 2 tablet servings) £50

Biotest TRIBEX
74 capules (37 x 2 capsule servings) £35

Maybe you could get for less if you shop around.

Food costs me about $600 a month - but I eat well.

A gym would cost you between $70-$100 a month.

Entertainment - well what kind? Beers in a pub are about $5, but from a Tesco they’re $10 for 5 for example.

I would stock up on Biotest supps in the US before coming over - or at least on their pill supps, and you can source decent powders here if you need to.

take into account the dollar sucks right now

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
Tell the truth, you don’t care how expensive things are, you just want everyone to know where you fancy job is sending you. j/k

Are you getting per diem also?[/quote]

That’s just a side benefit - assuming I go… =-)

I’ve been told there would be a per diem, but I don’t know how much - or whether I would need to submit receipts for reimbursement (major pain in the arse) or just get the money for food so I could go to the grocery store.

I really don’t know how this would work actually - I just want to make certain that if I agree to do it I won’t be taking a bath financially.

[quote]electric_eales wrote:

As for living it really depends on where you go, to be honest London is a real major shit hole nowadays (in most inner areas)

I used to knock about in Brixton but I wont even go there anymore.

Where abouts in London will you be staying, its so big and diverse the difference of 5 miles could mean living in the ghetto or a nice area (much like NY i guess)

Biotest products are:

Biotest HOT-ROX Extreme
110 Capsules £35

Biotest Alpha Male
74 tablets (37 x 2 tablet servings) £50

Biotest TRIBEX
74 capules (37 x 2 capsule servings) £35

Maybe you could get for less if you shop around.[/quote]

The office would be in or around Slough, but I don’t know the options for living yet - I would assume it would be somewhere better than Slough though…

Slough huh… where did the office UK version take place again?

Well, to put it in perspective the property prices in london are very expensive. People get paid extra money throughout England if they work in London, usually called “london waiting allowance” as it is such an expensive place to live.

If you are intending to move there I would be inclined to push for an allowance or a company credit card, rather than having to put yourself out of pocket, as it could cost you an arm and a leg.

It has been my families experience that the dollar and pound have the same buying power. What costs a dollar over here costs a pound over there.

Electric_eales fifty pound cost for forty nine dollars worth of Alpha Male reflects this perfectly.

Unfortuneately the conversion rate is two dollars to the pound. So Alpha Male costs over a hundred dollars in the UK.

Oh no. Not Slough. It’s an absolute shit hole.

Yes it is where the the UK version of The Office was based.

By the way Slough is actually not in London. It’s in a county called Berkshire. It is commutable by train to London. From memory the train ride is around 20-30 minutes.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
It has been my families experience that the dollar and pound have the same buying power. What costs a dollar over here costs a pound over there.

Electric_eales fifty pound cost for forty nine dollars worth of Alpha Male reflects this perfectly.

Unfortuneately the conversion rate is two dollars to the pound. So Alpha Male costs over a hundred dollars in the UK.[/quote]

Ugggh. 2x expensive… Well, good to know when inquiring on the per diem…

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Unfortuneately the conversion rate is two dollars to the pound. So Alpha Male costs over a hundred dollars in the UK.

Ugggh. 2x expensive… Well, good to know when inquiring on the per diem…[/quote]

Will you be paid in dollars, or pounds?

Well put it this way, its a shitload better for those of american persuasion than for us antipodeans.

I remember going to the homeland at AUD$3 to the quid.

I’ve found the big mac index to be useful for these kind of questions.

Slough is West of London it’s real industrial and not the nicest area. Windsor which is next door is quite nice, the Queen likes to stay there in Windsor castle.

Also Maidenhead is nice but a little further. Going a little further away Marlow or Henley-on-Thames are really nice small towns, but pricey. Going in towards London, Richmond is nice.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
For an American? I may have the opportunity to spend a few months over there for my job, and I was wondering if anyone who had been over there recently had a few examples of what some common things cost in dollars so I could get a feel for the living expense that would be involved.

They’d take care of housing and whatnot, but in terms of food, drink, entertainment, etc., I’m trying to figure out how much worse it is over there. I’m imagining New York plus a premium for the crappy dollar.

Also, how much do you pay to get Biotest over there - particularly the Protein Powders?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

It’s so much more expensive than NYC. Try 20$ for a shitty cafe style breakfast.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:

Will you be paid in dollars, or pounds?[/quote]

I think in dollars, but that’s definitely on my list of questions.

[quote]A-Dog wrote:
Well put it this way, its a shitload better for those of american persuasion than for us antipodeans.

I remember going to the homeland at AUD$3 to the quid.

I’ve found the big mac index to be useful for these kind of questions.[/quote]

Doesn’t look bad on a country comparison, but I know London is particularly bad:

http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml

Plus this is from last summer…

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Slough is West of London it’s real industrial and not the nicest area. Windsor which is next door is quite nice, the Queen likes to stay there in Windsor castle.

Also Maidenhead is nice but a little further. Going a little further away Marlow or Henley-on-Thames are really nice small towns, but pricey. Going in towards London, Richmond is nice.

[/quote]

My wife will likely want to stay closer to the city - thanks for the tips. Any other recommendations for places close-in to London but not too far from Slough would be cool. (Still haven’t confirmed I will go, but info is always good)