T Nation

How Exactly To Train For Speed?

[quote]BALBOS wrote:
sorry,but i have to be brutaly honest.
you dont have athletic talent.you are young enough to excel in some other fields other than sports.
maybe you are better suited for endurance sports like marathon running,cycling,triathlon,long distance swimming,etc.best of luck!

balbos[/quote]

This guy is stupid. You are only 14, to say you have no athletic talent is ridiculous. Over the next 4 years (I’m only 18 so I don’t know beyond this age) you will change so much. Speed will come. I don’t think 14-15 seconds is that slow for a 14 year old. I don’t remember who, but someone said the 40 yard dash is a lot different than the 100m. A top speed sprint is purely plyometric while the 40 yard dash is more of a combination of speed/strength. He is right, first priority is form and don’t neglect warm-up or stretching. If you aren’t running right you’re going to get problems.

1-4 YEARS OLD!!! lol…I’m only 16, but I remember when I was 14 and reading stupid-ass scientific shit and wanted to kill myself because i had NO clue where i was going…THEN all i did was didnt do anything but play sports for 2 months and forgot about all the scientific training…kept the info in my head about nutrition, over-training, and all that other kinda stuff. Stuck to compound lifts, all the basics…and everything was just shit-loads better and began to make gains…you can do it man, your only 14 years old…by 16 you’ll be good athletically and strong if you train, eat good, and get good sleep. Simple shit man.

im sorry but i think that might be one of the dumbest questions ive ever heard…how to train for speed…

RUN

like when i asked guys on the forum how to get bigger, they made me feel like an idiot when all they said was “EAT”…you want to get fast, run.

run distance, run intervals, run with a parachute, run with a sled filled with heavy shit…thats how i trained for basketball, by the time the season came around i woulda been all county for track

[quote]sciencewolverine wrote:
Lol I might’ve put myself down just a little bit. First off, my 17 sec 100m was just a joke. It’s around 14-15 seconds. I know I’m still pretty young, but just confused. Not sure about my maturation, just know that my dad and grandpas and cousins are super buff compared to me.

[/quote]

Dude,
I ran a 5.2 40 yard dash when I was 14. By the time I was 17 and graduated highschool, I was running mid 4.6’s, which is what alot of pro widerecievers run. And I had no clue how to properly start from a track stance. I probably could get in the mid 4.5’s if I ever took the time to get a track coach to teach me how to properly start a race from the kneel position. So dont fret it. You are only going to get bigger and faster. Plus, you have a huge advantage at 14 - this website.

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:
sciencewolverine wrote:
Lol I might’ve put myself down just a little bit. First off, my 17 sec 100m was just a joke. It’s around 14-15 seconds. I know I’m still pretty young, but just confused. Not sure about my maturation, just know that my dad and grandpas and cousins are super buff compared to me.

Dude,
I ran a 5.2 40 yard dash when I was 14. By the time I was 17 and graduated highschool, I was running mid 4.6’s, which is what alot of pro widerecievers run. And I had no clue how to properly start from a track stance. I probably could get in the mid 4.5’s if I ever took the time to get a track coach to teach me how to properly start a race from the kneel position. So dont fret it. You are only going to get bigger and faster. Plus, you have a huge advantage at 14 - this website.
[/quote]

Pro wide receivers are running hell of a lot faster than 4.6. You don’t need a track coach for the stance lol, it’s not hard. You can easily look at a picture and catch on.

SciWolv-

You are on the right track on asking how you can get better. Don’t worry about if your times are “Slow” or not, only thing you can do now is to get yourself better! You can do that, don;t listen to people like Balbos saying you can’t. Anyways… you are young, and the basics are pretty much what you need for now. Acceleration, general fitness, medicine balls, olympic lifts (find someone or a place that will teach you the technique if possible!), the basic core lifts(squat, bench, deads, etc) are really going to help you out quite a bit.

I’d stay away from the gadgets like parachutes and all that jazz… Only going to screw with your form and technique, which is not what you want early on. If you want to learn to accelerate properly, find yourself a nice hill. It will force you to get into the proper forward lean and get the arm action needed for accelerating. Good luck!

[quote]Biocidal13 wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:
sciencewolverine wrote:

Dude,

Pro wide receivers are running hell of a lot faster than 4.6. You don’t need a track coach for the stance lol, it’s not hard. You can easily look at a picture and catch on.[/quote]

not true…

many players hire strength and speed coaches to improve their stats. shaving one tenth of a second off of their 40 times can make all the difference in the world. Maybe you have heard of a guy like this…Joe DeFranco…

and 40 times dont mean as much as you think when it comes to performance. off the top of my head, the guy that sticks out the most is anquan boldin. boldin ran a 4.7 40 and from the last i have heard he has been doing quite well as a pro wide receiver. but you are correct in thinking that alot of the pros run 40’s faster then 4.6.

[quote]Biocidal13 wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:
sciencewolverine wrote:

Dude,

Pro wide receivers are running hell of a lot faster than 4.6. You don’t need a track coach for the stance lol, it’s not hard. You can easily look at a picture and catch on.[/quote]

Wrong and wrong. Proper sprint mechanics and proper start times mean everything. All i was saying is Ive never had a coach teach me how to start or the proper sprint mechanics. In learning so, i could probably shave another 10 of my time.

And second, alot of Pro Wideouts run in the high 4.5’s and low 4.6’s, these guys are not as fast as you think they are. Sure, the top guys and go to guys are faster.

Soccer…I’m saying it’s not hard to learn the proper technique, guys who are getting coaches are actually going to a combine or trying to get scouted by schools. If you aren’t going for those two things, I don’t know why you would want to hire a coach. I never said a tenth wasn’t a lot, because that is huge even up to 100m. And I don’t remember saying the 40 yd dash is THE test for performance. That’s great for the receiver you mentioned… Go read my post again and don’t put words into my mouth.

Nicholas…Obviously starting is important and technique is. I don’t remember saying it wasn’t. Last time I checked the NFL was as high as you could go, is it not? Those are the top guys and they are running faster than 4.6. Maybe you should go back and read my post again…

yeah my 40 time is pretty pathetic too.

wow…
saw some negative stuff from some of the cats on this!
…those bastards

you are still young, and can definately improve before your body kind of sets it’s ways. squats work really well for increasing sprint speed. i am 220 and lift, and can sprint faster than everyone in my shop (except for one… someday, i will beat him…) and we have some fast runners.

strengthen your legs, and when you squat, work on explosive strength. have a bench or stool or something under you, and when you go down, sit for a second on the bench, then explode up almost like you were trying to jump. but make sure to keep control of the weight so you don’t hurt yourself.

lunges will work too, 'cuz that’ll strenthen your butt and increase the forward thrust of your sprint. get some distance running in there too for endurance, but for sprints, strength is paramount.

oh, and lean forward a bit when you run. that’ll force your legs to move faster to keep up with your body so you don’t eat the track.
good luck!

Vert programs are no joke, it seem that the more “untalented” have more to gain, since “untalented” just mean your brain chemestry/cns/etc aint laid out for sports from the factory.

I gained 4-5" on my vert in less than 3 months, and I was not doing a Kelly Baggett program.

Some plyo’s, some jumping drills, playing b-ball and squats.

It seems realistic to me for someone to gain 8-12" over a year on the vert, and 3-4" on a 2-3 month program if they have not done one. I’m sure that the gains are not as great as as first, but most people if they put enough resources toward it could get over 30" in a coupleof years.

Even dudes who can fly can gain on their vert. Plyo’s really do work.

Part of sprinting is also technique. Join a track team with a knowledgable spring coach. Many people that I know complain about their sprint abilities run awkwardly or incorrectly (heal to toe, ha). Also too, reaction time will also give you an edge. If you are fast but have a bad start, someone who has a head start may win.

beef