T Nation

How Effective is REZ-V?

Hi all,

I think my estradiol is pretty high....I tested 42 ng/dl and I think it's got a negative effect and I'm starting to see signs like gyno....

how effective is it and how effective is it compared to something like anastrozole?

I don't think it's ever really fair to compare a supplement to a prescription drug. That said, REZ-V is a solid product and I'd give it a go.

Since it looks like you had some blood work done, what does your doc think?

I'm curious about this as well. It seems like resveratol does a lot of great things in the human body, but I've not come across much research exploring its use as an estrogen supressor(Anti-estrogen testosterone support formula). I did find two studies on pubmed which seem to conclude that resveratol might even exhibit some estrogenic effects on the human body.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=9391166

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=11014220

Yeah I only read results that said it could either be an agonist/antagonist to estrogen.

I was hoping someone who took it might offer some personal experiences

I'm interested in this as well. Additionally, the studies I have read involved rodents taking e-nor-mous amounts of resveratol for their weight - and way more than our dosage of roughly 300mg per, say, 200lbs.

I am discussing this with my oncologist at our next appointment and I hope he might have some insight. I"m currently on tamoxifen post breast cancer and have been taking Rez-V as well.

TC's article states:

"Resveratrol has a whole lot of good things going for it, but the one we're most interested in has to do with estrogen. You see, resveratrol acts as a potent estrogen antagonist (while also acting as an agonist in some tissues, similar to the drugs clomiphene and tamoxifen).

In higher concentrations, it acts as an aromatase inhibitor. That means that it stops the body from whittling away at your Testosterone.

This is cool because if a substance stops Testosterone from being converted to estrogen or estradiol, it not only prevents the nasty effects of estrogen (loss of muscle and strength and accrual of body fat), but it increases your level of Testosterone, leading to additional strength and muscle!

What's equally important is that it won't cause your Testicles to go on vacation, i.e. shrink. The testicles don't get a signal from the pituitary to shut down because estrogen has been curtailed!

There's a lot of good data in animal models to back this up. Studies have demonstrated a resveratrol-fueled increase in Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (the pituitary hormones that signal the testicles to start producing Testosterone) that's 2.7 times greater than placebo.

Additionally, resveratrol caused a 76% increase in sperm count, all of this without any adverse effects. (1)

The aromatase inhibition is thought to occur through two mechanisms: reducing the expression of aromatase, as well as binding to the enzyme and preventing it from doing its dirty work.

And, unlike conventional aromatase inhibitors, resveratrol doesn't cause a decline in endothelial (blood vessel) function. In fact, it seems to improve it! (2-12)

And remember those nasty xenoestrogens I mentioned earlier? Resveratrol seems to occupy the receptor sites, or biological "parking lots," so that these xenoestrogens can't "park" in their spots. That's good."

I think this explains it pretty well. I also have been using it as a standard good health supplement, like Flameout, since it's release. During this time I have brought my body-fat down considerably while my lifting numbers continue to improve. I believe the over all health benefits (my Dr. had even heard of the health benefits of resveratrol and agreed it was good) combined with the added help to boost Testosterone and keep estro in check make it a vital part of my supplementation.

D

I read TC's article and it did answer some of my questions about it, but I'm still skeptical. First, only 8 out of 48 studies referenced seem to deal with resveratol as an estrogen antagonist, and about half of those were using rats or mice as subjects. And even in those studies with rats and mice equivilent human dosing seems to come out to be between 10 and 100 times greater than the amount contained in a serving of Rez-V.

I do like how the issue of bioavailability was addressed, but I wonder, why 200mg? There was no study referenced showing greater resveratol bioavailable at 200 mg over lower doses. Is this a number that was establlished by Biotest? How did they come to this conclusion?

My other problem at this point is the lack of studies on long-term supplementation of resveratol. Let's not forget that resveratol is essentially a phytoestrogen. The research so far is quite promising, but then again the early research for another group of phytoestrogens was also promising - soy isoflavones.