T Nation

How Effective Is It?

hiya
hw effective is the gtg system and the 1 arm pushups and one legged squats program found on the naked warrior by pavel tatsouline?

i dont have a gym membership due to lack of funds and i need something more challengin than usual pushups,pullups and dips for strength and a bit of size.so will it be actually work?

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
hiya
hw effective is the gtg system and the 1 arm pushups and one legged squats program found on the naked warrior by pavel tatsouline?

i dont have a gym membership due to lack of funds and i need something more challengin than usual pushups,pullups and dips for strength and a bit of size.so will it be actually work?[/quote]

If you have enough money to be on the Internet, you have - or can acquire (through dropping other services) enough money to pay for a freaking gym membership.

If you want to get good at one leg squats and one arm push ups it’s great.

If you’ve ANY other goals… then it’s probably not so good. I do think there’s a lot of interesting tit-bits in there about how to become a “tighter” lifter tho.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
WeaponXXX wrote:
hiya

i dont have a gym membership due to lack of funds and i need something more challengin than usual pushups,pullups and dips for strength and a bit of size.so will it be actually work?

If you have enough money to be on the Internet, you have - or can acquire (through dropping other services) enough money to pay for a freaking gym membership.[/quote]

But then he would have to give up T-Nation…NO!..no!no!no!..sorry…had a panic attack there.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
WeaponXXX wrote:
hiya

If you have enough money to be on the Internet, you have - or can acquire (through dropping other services) enough money to pay for a freaking gym membership.[/quote]

you are from the usa so i will forgive your ignorance on the subject of gym memberships in england. they are freaking expensive. oh and im on wireless and the internet is paid by my mother who is on benefits. when i get my doorman job, then i will pay for my gym but until then i cant.anyway thanks for your stupid comment and not being helpful.
moron

[quote]Hanley wrote:
If you want to get good at one leg squats and one arm push ups it’s great.

If you’ve ANY other goals… then it’s probably not so good. I do think there’s a lot of interesting tit-bits in there about how to become a “tighter” lifter tho.[/quote]

right but i see what you are saying. BUt my goal is strength and size. what i want to know is will one legged squats and one arm pushups make me stronger than pushups and squats in the long run? or is it just useful as a circus trick

One arm pushups and one legged squats are effective exercises for gaining strength if they are challenging for you - but keep in mind that success in these exercises is quite technique dependent. Once you can do them it’s more difficult to add graduated resistance but you can increase rep speed, play with leverages by raising your legs, etc.

I like these unilateral exercises as they require co-contraction about the limbs and can foster joint stability. That said, if your technique sucks then like anything else you may be at risk of hurting yourself.

I wouldn’t recommend going into too much lumbar flexion on the one legged squat, but that’s my preference.

Other bodyweight exercises that are great are the handstand pushup, one arm row (‘fatman chin/pullup’ or ‘reverse pushup’) or the planche and front lever as described in this article:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
One arm pushups and one legged squats are effective exercises for gaining strength if they are challenging for you - but keep in mind that success in these exercises is quite technique dependent. Once you can do them it’s more difficult to add graduated resistance but you can increase rep speed, play with leverages by raising your legs, etc.

I like these unilateral exercises as they require co-contraction about the limbs and can foster joint stability. That said, if your technique sucks then like anything else you may be at risk of hurting yourself.

I wouldn’t recommend going into too much lumbar flexion on the one legged squat, but that’s my preference.

Other bodyweight exercises that are great are the handstand pushup, one arm row (‘fatman chin/pullup’ or ‘reverse pushup’) or the planche and front lever as described in this article:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

[/quote]

thanks a lot mate, that was very helpful.whould i do them until failure everyday or should i use the gtg system?

dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.
pl?rm=mode3&articleid=229
Here is an article about gymnastic basics, and gymnasts are damn strong.
I think all you need to get started is a chinning bar.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
thanks a lot mate, that was very helpful.whould i do them until failure everyday or should i use the gtg system?
[/quote]

No worries.
From experience with bodyweight exercises I like to go to technique failure (not absolute muscle failure) but I don’t train every day.
There is some evidence to back up exercising in a fatigued state, but it’s more risky because you can lose muscle control and injure yourself (eccentric handstand pushups to failure, anyone?).

GTG seems like a good idea, but I haven’t had the opportunity to really give it a good go - someone I met in an elite military unit once described their ‘punishment’ system (it was essentially GTG) and he reported good results in terms of gaining endurance with the exercises.

All I can say is to give them a good go and make your own decision.

I used GTG for Pistols and OAPs. The results were quite good.

Add a big pulling movement with for example a sandbag (cleans, deadlifts…) and you have a complete workout that requires almost no investments and will definetly develop strength and even size to some degree.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
hiya

i dont have a gym membership due to lack of funds and i need something more challengin than usual pushups,pullups and dips for strength and a bit of size.so will it be actually work?[/quote]

You can definately build some muscle and strength using 1 arm pushups and pistols. Just not using the set rep schemes pavel has. Unless you can’t do more than one or two, use traditional set rep schemes and above all progression.

If you can do his 5x5 right now, progress using higher reps and shorter rest, or by making the exercise more difficult by adding weight to the exercise (you probably have a back pack, and a cheap set of dumbell plates will cost you $20 at walmart). Changing leverages will also work by elevating or using one-arm one-leg for the pushups (also works your core!).

Handstand pushups, dips, and one-arm or weighted chin progressions are also staples of my routine. Using that same $20 adjustable dumbell set you can do dumbell snatchs or deadlifts for your posterior chain.

PM me if you want help with routines, this is exactly how I train.