How Easily Are Almonds Digested?

I have been eating a significant amount of almonds recently and have noticed a change in my stools - defiantly have been more regular, 1-2 times a day. However I notice small bits of almond visible. I do make an effort to chew them up as much as possible however it does make me worry just how much I am actually managing to digest!

Any suggestions?

Worry about something that actually matters.

Seriously, this is what is known as minutia.

A significant portion of my intake is from nuts - its something I would like to know about.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

[quote]benmoore wrote:
A significant portion of my intake is from nuts - its something I would like to know about.

Can anyone shed some light on this?[/quote]

They’re small, hard, and dense. They seem somewhat resilient to non-mechanical breakdown (Mechanical = Teeth)

I have no source as to whether it would be a significant calorie loss due to lack of digestion, all I can say is maybe eat the nuts with some veggies? If you slow down transit of your stool, then there will most likely be more enzymatic exposure to said almonds; possibly more digestion.

Although this makes me wonder about that study which found people who ate almonds, when compared to an almond free isocaloric diet, lost more weight. Maybe they just absorbed less calories?

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

They’re small, hard, and dense. They seem somewhat resilient to non-mechanical breakdown (Mechanical = Teeth)

I have no source as to whether it would be a significant calorie loss due to lack of digestion, all I can say is maybe eat the nuts with some veggies? If you slow down transit of your stool, then there will most likely be more enzymatic exposure to said almonds; possibly more digestion.

Although this makes me wonder about that study which found people who ate almonds, when compared to an almond free isocaloric diet, lost more weight. Maybe they just absorbed less calories?[/quote]

I can defiantly imagine the subjects absorbing less calories! I’m only 10% below maintenance and although carbs are much lower I’m feeling WAY more drained then I would usually be. I was just having a couple of days with meals consisting of shakes/almonds/fish oils whilst I sorted a couple of things out.

Do you have a link to that study?

[quote]benmoore wrote:

How Significant?

Could you be confused about the items in your stool? Corn maybe?

[quote]bilj wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

How Significant?

Could you be confused about the items in your stool? Corn maybe?[/quote]

It is literally the only thing it could be.

I don’t have the direct link, but here is a good summary on WebMD about almonds and a few studies.

Two things about the link:

1. The subheading ‘Do almonds have a magical ingredient?’ mentions something interesting about lack of fat absorption, which may apply in this case.

2. Many of the studies have different macronutrient breakdowns, so along with the ‘lack of absorption’ factor, need to be analyzed at more than face value.

You also mentioned that you feel more drained than you should, have you tried taking almonds out for a few days and replacing them with oils or eggs (to keep macros kinda similar), and see if your energy increases at the same level of calories you are ingesting?

Some things are just hard to digest, especially when raw. Thats why does damn raw foodist are so godamn skinny. Almonds and nuts are absorbed, rest assure, but just not completely.

I have the same problem when I eat a lot of almonds, but I think the majority of them are digested…just not all

[quote]benmoore wrote:
I have been eating a significant amount of almonds recently and have noticed a change in my stools - defiantly have been more regular, 1-2 times a day. However I notice small bits of almond visible. I do make an effort to chew them up as much as possible however it does make me worry just how much I am actually managing to digest!

Any suggestions?[/quote]

You people have become so goddamn annoying.

Why not worry about something like money or pussy or just plain old having fun?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Why not worry about something like money or pussy or just plain old having fun? [/quote]

Being a student I don’t have the most money in the world. I don’t want to spend 5.99 for 800g of almonds only to poop out 90% of the bastards. I am always looking to cut costs/improve efficiency.

As for pussy. My uni is 65-70% female (I forget the latest statistics)… and I somehow still manage to get some decent ass despite being fat and scruffy as hell at the moment.

As for fun… again… uni :wink:

Anywhom, I figured that this would be an acceptable question for a supplement/nutrition forum.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Why not worry about something like money or pussy or just plain old having fun? [/quote]

Seemed like an appropriate place for a nutrition question. Besides, people would be more annoying if they worried about pussy or having fun on a nutrition and supplementation forum.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Seemed like an appropriate place for a nutrition question. Besides, people would be more annoying if they worried about pussy or having fun on a nutrition and supplementation forum.
[/quote]

The questions being posted now are fucking ridiculous!

Eat some frickin peanut butter or almond paste if you’re so worried about shitting cash…

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

Any suggestions?[/quote]

[/quote]

The questions being posted now are fucking ridiculous![/quote]

Come on man no need for that language.

Its all good - I have switched up the almonds for other whole food options.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Eat some frickin peanut butter or almond paste if you’re so worried about shitting cash… [/quote]

The almonds were attractive due to the fact they were so portable. Peanut butter would mean lugging around a tub and a spoon.

On the other hand once I get some money in ill be buying some vanilla protein powder and some cheap peanut butter to make some freezer protein bars.

Try ginding the nuts in the blender, then add it to your shake.

I know… I mean: [quote]benmoore wrote: …my stools - defiantly have been more regular[/quote] what the hell does that even mean?? Defiantly more regular? Are your stools really acting defiant? Did you tell them to only form 1 or less times per day and they revolted? Is this the Great Stool Uprising of 2010?

Bullet:

Right. Take a look at this forum lately.

I’ve had all sorts of food particles in my shit - potato skins, corn, pepper and okra seeds, pieces of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, spinach, and so on.

I don’t feel prompted to come on here, talk about my shit, and then wonder if my intake of veggies and grains are a “waste” or if I’m in a caloric deficit because some food happened to come out of me.

This is disgusting and creepy at this point!