How Does Your Dead Comapre to Your Clean?

I was wonderin for some of you more experienced o lifters. How does your deadlift(without gear) compare to your clean? How about your front squat as well?

Oly lifters in general don’t train a conventional deadlift but many do heavy clean pulls and some clean-style deadlifts. Its hard to ascribe a relationship between deadlifting and cleaning ability, but I’ve found the old saying ‘what you can front squat for triples you should be able to clean’ to be fairly accurate.

dfreezy is right. Few o-lifters do conventional deadlifts. To try to answer your question:

Clean: 130kg, supposed to get a 135 next week.
Front squat: 132.5/3, next week should get 137.5/2, don’t do heavy singles but just guessing 145/1
Clean grip dead lift: 160-165? I recently did a high pull with 154, it was hard but not impossibly so.
Just guessing, conventional deadlift would probably be in the range 175-185 after a month of getting used to the lift.

yea I know its not really trained all that much I figured most would have a pretty good idea just from doin pulls. Funny my power clean seems to be better than my front squat I guess Il have to work on those. Hey also has anyone tried resistance bands with pulls? It seems they would work great for really increasing your second pull.

My first guess is that bands for pulls would be a counterproductive.

First, the bands would affect the angle the resistance is coming from. its not a lot, but the bar does move horizontally in a pull. The force coming from the direction of the band’s anchor would introduce horizontal forces on the bar that you don’t normally deal with.

Second, its not so much the absolute force you can generate, but the percent of that force that you can apply when the bar is moving that is important. Bands would slow down the bar in an unnatural way, making you practice at a slower speed something that needs to be done at a faster speed. Getting better at pulls done that way seems counterintuitive.

But like I said, that’s just a first guess. I’ve never tried bands for pulls and don’t know anyone who has, either to their benefit or detriment.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
My first guess is that bands for pulls would be a counterproductive.

First, the bands would affect the angle the resistance is coming from. its not a lot, but the bar does move horizontally in a pull. The force coming from the direction of the band’s anchor would introduce horizontal forces on the bar that you don’t normally deal with.

Second, its not so much the absolute force you can generate, but the percent of that force that you can apply when the bar is moving that is important. Bands would slow down the bar in an unnatural way, making you practice at a slower speed something that needs to be done at a faster speed. Getting better at pulls done that way seems counterintuitive.

But like I said, that’s just a first guess. I’ve never tried bands for pulls and don’t know anyone who has, either to their benefit or detriment.

[/quote]

I have used bands. The best way to set up is have the bands cross the bar and be anchored at two points rather than one. Then it doesn’t affect the direction of pull.

I question the use of them for any pulls other than rack pulls and deads, though. Any Oly-related movement is already explosive. Not sure bands would add anything useful as you are not slowing down in the area where the bands would kick in. They will teach you to pull harder midway through a movement, but for cleans, high pulls and the like, you would already be doing that. At best, they’d muck up your technique.

I would not call myself a true O-lifter as I never actually have done a weightlifting meet. However, I have trained the classic lifts from time to time- apparantly to reassure myself that I suck at this and I should stick to powerlifting. So take this for what it’s worth.

My best best legit c&j ever is 286, my best deadlift is 720.

The most I’ve ever front squatted is 405.