How Does this Upper/Lower Split Look?

i found this routine on another forum and im gonna start it next week. just want to see what you guys thought of it. my main goal is to get stronger and adding some mass. I will switch out the exercises as I begin to stall.

Heavy= 3 sets of 3-6 reps
Light= 2 sets of 8-12 reps

The routine is done 3 days a week so there’s always at least 1 day of rest between each workout.

Upper 1
Horizontal press (heavy)
Horizontal row (heavy)
Vertical press (light)
Vertical pull (light)

Lower 1
Squat (heavy)
Hams (light)
One legged exercises (lunges, step ups, etc.)
Calves (heavy)
Abs

Upper 2
Vertical press (heavy)
Vertical pull (heavy)
Horizontal press (light)
Horizontal row (light)

Lower 2
Deadlift (heavy)
Quads (light)
One legged exercises
Calves (light)
Abs

I seriously love routines with thought involved. You may want to tweak your volume - 5x5 and 4x10 work well together. But use whatever feels best for you. I also prefer doing upper/lower splits 4 days a week.

ive found ive done better with lower volume which i way i choose those reps and sets
this would actually only be 3 days a week.

mon- upper 1

wed-lower 1

fri-upper 2

mon-lower 2

wed- upper 1 etc…

Looks like a pretty sweet program! I dont know how it will do mass wise, but strength wise it looks good. Let us know how it goes.

Very similar to my split. I have done rather well on it. Volume will need to be changed depending on how advanced you are and how you respond to it.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
Looks like a pretty sweet program! I dont know how it will do mass wise, but strength wise it looks good. Let us know how it goes.[/quote]

why do you say you dont know how it will do mass wise?

I dont know what your goals are but… To me it looks more strength oriented. You dont hit every single muscle group. I isolate a different muscle group depending on the day of the week. I really dont know though. Without a doubt I think you’ll be gaining ‘some’ mass. Give it a shot for a while and post back with discoveries.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
You dont hit every single muscle group.[/quote]

I think he does.

ya i do just in compound movements. at this point in the game i dont need to worry about isolation. i just need to get my compound lifts up.

another question, do you think i could do rack pulls on upper body day and deadlifts on leg day, or would this be too much? the reason why i want to do this is because im gonna go really light on deadlifts for awhile until i get my form down because of a previous lower back injury.

Is there any reason this is only three days a week? Seems like if you could make it four days and still recover (which I’m guessing you could) you’d make better gains in both size and strength.

eh i might be able to pull it off but ive found that the less i lift the strong i get. plus my lower back takes a long ass time to recover. i dont want to be doing barbell rows on upper body day and doing squats the next day.

It depends on your food intake, but overall I like the program. Good thought involved, and good balance involved.

It will probably add mass to you if you eat for it. It all depends on how you tolerate volume. Some like lots of it, some don’t. Some it works well for, some it doesn’t.

I say do it.

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:

another question, do you think i could do rack pulls on upper body day and deadlifts on leg day, or would this be too much? the reason why i want to do this is because im gonna go really light on deadlifts for awhile until i get my form down because of a previous lower back injury. [/quote]

I’m curious what kind of back injury you had? I have a herniated and bulging disc and can’t do deadlifts. You’re post got me researching rack pulls so I’m going try them at the gym today and see how they affect my back. Are you finding them as a good substitute for DL’s?