How Does My Program Look?

Tell what you think after looking at my program please.

Monday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Bench press - 5x5
Pull ups - 5x5
Overhead press - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
calves - high rep

Wednsday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Deadlift - 5x5
Cleans - 5x5
dips - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
calves - high rep

Friday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Bench press - 5x5
Barbell rows - 5x5
overheadpress - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
Calves - high rep

you’ve got twice as much pressing as you do pulling which could potentially cause shoulder issues, so I’d add some face pulls or prone Ys every day. You can do them inbetween sets of calf exercises to save time.

Other than that, looks like a fairly cut and dried strength routine. One thing you might like to try:

Start with front squats before back squats, ramping up in sets of 5. Then when you hit a 5 rep max on front squats, switch to back squats starting with the same weight you used for your 5RM on front squats, and keep ramping up in sets of 5 until you hit a top set of back squats.

It’s the old school Olympic lifter way of training squats and it’s awesome.

Thank man, yeah face pulls it is.

Texas method. similar but far superior.

It looks as though your only tool is a hammer.

If this program is working for you, keep doing it, because it works. However, were I you, I would employ a variety of set and rep rep ranges as needed in order to progress, rather than attempt to force myself to grow off of 5 sets of 5 reps for almost every movement. There are times when your training may appear like this, and others where you are using sets of 8 for the first 4 sets, followed by a set of 20 at the end of the workout, and other such strategies.

A strength program is going to use a variety of sets and reps. Don’t believe the internet hype that 5 is the “strength range”. The strength range is the range wherein you get strong.

On wendesday I think you should choose between front and back squats and deadlift or cleans.
So of those 4 movements, I would pick 2 and really invest in them instead of trying to do everything without much profit

More is not always better.

Wednesday looks like hell.
Deadlift day should be high intensity yet you are going to to do 5 sets of 5 reps after doing 10 hard sets of back and front squats. No way you are going to be lifting maximum weights by the time you get to deadlifts yet they are the most taxing reps you will ever do.

I think you would be better off following a ready made program. There are plenty on this site and if it’s 5 x 5 you like then as Rampent Badger suggested have a read of Texas Method. Madcow is another that lifters seem to get good results with.

Then again why limit yourself to 5 sets of 5 reps ?
A lot of top deadlifters ramp up to fives, tripples or doubles depending on what week they’re on.
5 x 5 on dips can be hard on shoulders and especially elbows. I’d be pushing those sets out to 8 - 15 reps.
Pullups work well when varied over a wider rep range such as 5 -15.

I’d add more hamstring work as well. Romanian Deadlifts and leg curls are the obvious choice. Goodmornings and glute ham raises is another option.
Can’t add those things to what you’ve got though so I would change everything.

A workout A, workout B ,workout C full body approach can work really well. This would have varying rep ranges and the emphasis of the routine would change for each session. ie Workout C Friday is Deadlift day and starts with conventional deadlifts Ramp up to a top weight of 5, 3 or 2. Then you would back squat. 5 sets of pullups then go home.

At the very least, put the cleans before the deadlifts. I don’t like most of it as-is, but in general, put the “explosive” work before the “strength” work.

Ok so i’ve changed it a little it looks like this

Monday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Bench press - 5x5
Pull ups - 5x5
Overhead press - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
calves - high rep
Face pulls - 8 - 15

Wednsday–

Squat - 5x5
Deadlift - 5x5
dips - 8 - 15 x 3
Neck work - high rep
calves - high rep
Face pulls - 8 - 15

Friday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Bench press - 5x5
Barbell rows - 5x5
overheadpress - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
Calves - high rep
Face pulls - 8 - 15

You might want to define your goals, and possibly give some basic information about yourself (size, years training, strength numbers). What exactly constitutes a “good” program will be very different depending on the trainee and his/her goals.

What is your plan for weight progression?

Height 6foot
Weight 150lbs
TIme training - 4 months on and off

I want to get strong and gain some weight, that’s what my goals are for now. No specific numbers just want to get big and strong.

[quote]RinoSagat wrote:
Height 6foot
Weight 150lbs

I want to get strong and gain some weight, that’s what my goals are for now. No specific numbers just want to get big and strong.

[/quote]

I mean do you have a plan on how you will increase the weights used for your exercises from workout to workout.

If you don’t have one, i suggest you follow a beginner program that has it all planned out for you.

[quote]RinoSagat wrote:
Ok so i’ve changed it a little it looks like this

Monday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Bench press - 5x5
Pull ups - 5x5
Overhead press - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
calves - high rep
Face pulls - 8 - 15

Wednsday–

Squat - 5x5
Deadlift - 5x5
dips - 8 - 15 x 3
Neck work - high rep
calves - high rep
Face pulls - 8 - 15

Friday–

Squat - 5x5
Front squat - 5x5
Bench press - 5x5
Barbell rows - 5x5
overheadpress - 5x5
Neck work - high rep
Calves - high rep
Face pulls - 8 - 15[/quote]

When I look at this programming, I see WAY too much volume for a beginner, especially Monday and Friday. The thought of running 5X5 on 5 separate lifts (mostly heavier compund movements) in the same workout, to me, is insane.

I would recommend using a tried and true beginners program, such as Starting Strength. Your recovery and diet are what will cause you to grow the most, not beating yourself up in the gym for marathon sessions each time.

Do you plan on doing those sets with any sort of actual intensity?

I cannot imagine you getting through any of those days unless you plan on moving only 50% of your 1rm or something.

Why not just do the Texas Method, SL 5xt, SS, or any of the basic 3-5x5 programs out there?

[quote]RinoSagat wrote:
Height 6foot
Weight 150lbs

[/quote]

X2 for Texas Method.

Are you a marathon runner? If not, EAT.