How Does My Hill Stack Up?

I recently began running hill sprint but I’m not sure I have the right kind of hill.

I run up a raised area near the side of a highway overpass. It is extremely steep (approx 40-45 degrees) and it only takes me around 5-8 seconds to make it to the top. I don’t get out of breath doing it but it does drive my pulse through the roof and completely trash my legs. I’m worried that I may not be reaping all of the benefits of hill sprints because it is too short/steep and that the incline may be bad for knees/ankles.

Thoughts?

[quote]JayDubya wrote:
I recently began running hill sprint but I’m not sure I have the right kind of hill.

I run up a raised area near the side of a highway overpass. It is extremely steep (approx 40-45 degrees) and it only takes me around 5-8 seconds to make it to the top. I don’t get out of breath doing it but it does drive my pulse through the roof and completely trash my legs. I’m worried that I may not be reaping all of the benefits of hill sprints because it is too short/steep and that the incline may be bad for knees/ankles.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

Sounds a lot like the hill I run up. Never had any knee/ankle issues with it. Surprised you don’t get out of breath though? I go about 90/100 speed and when I reach the top decelerate for a bit. Turn around and walk back. By about 6 of those I’m starting to feel it and fully gassed around 10-12 of these.

Reminds me of this:

Seriously though, 5-8 seconds is not enough for conditioning.