T Nation

How Does Meat Compare to Others?

Whey proteins are digested very fast so they are great post workout. Casein protein shakes are digested very slowly so they are great just about any other time and especially before bed to prevent your body going into catabolic starvation mode. I understand that egg protein falls somewhere in between, but what about meat protein? Would meat be good before bed or as a midnight snack?

i believe meat is much slower to digest and absorb than dairy/egg sources

Yes, meat at night would be fine.

It will take longer for meat to be digested than any liquid source (I’m assuming even casein).

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

It will take longer for meat to be digested than any liquid source (I’m assuming even casein).[/quote]

Still, there is nothing wrong with eating meat as a 2nd meal PWO, or any other times throughout the day.

It may not digest as fast, but it’s a solid source of protein and has been for years and years.

Personally, I don’t see any bad times to eat meat.

[quote]rsg wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

It will take longer for meat to be digested than any liquid source (I’m assuming even casein).

Still, there is nothing wrong with eating meat as a 2nd meal PWO, or any other times throughout the day.

It may not digest as fast, but it’s a solid source of protein and has been for years and years.

Personally, I don’t see any bad times to eat meat.[/quote]

I agree, I didn’t mean to imply it wasn’t a good idea any other time