How Does 5X5 Affect Your 3x12?

My brother got back from being stationed abroad (air force) and of course he didn’t want a beer on arrival, he wanted to go gym and show his younger brother he is still the older brother.

He does these 25 minute workouts and today was chest. So having maxed out at 70kg on my 5x5 bench for one set I was assuming I had gotten much stronger, but it seems Quite the opposite, I am now lifting less on my x12 sets than I was prior to starting the 5x5 routine.

I benched 50kg for 12/52.5kg/52.5kg incline dumbbell pressed 12x14kg twice and 1x12kg, had to pause during sets from arms giving out.

Is this strange or does this shit happen when you change rep ranges or is it weird for your 12 rep sets to go down when your doing 5 rep ranges?

“So having maxed out at 70KG on my 5X5 bench” from what I find, if I hit a true max for a lift, I am absolutely fried for it. I have taken 50-60 pounds off the bar after a rep max, and could only lift it for less reps after a long break. (my usual 3 minute or so rests) Do you ever noticed after you hit a max on one set your others keep dropping? 5,4,4,3,2 for an example (if you were doing 5X5 across or it could be more of a 5,3,2 if ramped to three top sets)? I think you were just pre-exhausted since if I am stronger in one rep range I am always at least slightly stronger in another. That is all just from experience I have had, if someone more knowledgeable, or more experienced can chime in it would be great.

The answer is, it depends. I’d expect some specificity effect if the rep ranges are wildly different. But it means nothing regarding strength or hypertrophy and I would not read into it. That said, I would instead test my 5RM (for one set) vs. my 12RM (for one set). And you need to test these on separate days each.

Almost always, in my experience, if I can increase my 5RM set I can also increase my reps or load on my 12RM set. By adding multiple sets you are adding confounding variables of fatigue. But again, this likely doesn’t matter much.

what the fuck is happening

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:
My brother got back from being stationed abroad (air force) and of course he didn’t want a beer on arrival, he wanted to go gym and show his younger brother he is still the older brother.

He does these 25 minute workouts and today was chest. So having maxed out at 70kg on my 5x5 bench for one set I was assuming I had gotten much stronger, but it seems Quite the opposite, I am now lifting less on my x12 sets than I was prior to starting the 5x5 routine.

I benched 50kg for 12/52.5kg/52.5kg incline dumbbell pressed 12x14kg twice and 1x12kg, had to pause during sets from arms giving out.

Is this strange or does this shit happen when you change rep ranges or is it weird for your 12 rep sets to go down when your doing 5 rep ranges?

[/quote]

Dont worry about this stuff. Just keep doing the program and get stronger.

I think the short answer to your question is neural adaptation. When you get in the groove of a particular set/rep pattern, your body adapts to it. When you add a bunch of reps from what you’re used to, it can be very tough at first. But your body can adapt to the new rep scheme fairly quickly.

This was your first time doing your brother’s workout. If you gave it a few more shots, you would make a whole lot of progress quickly, and then probably stagnate a bit, just because your body is getting used to new patterns.

I’ve had this happen to me when I switched from Thib’s HP mass program to a Dan John 2 day a week program. It was pretty much a complete 180 from what I was doing (I made the switch because I had to work 70 hour weeks for a short period of time). I was shitty at the higher rep stuff to start, but within a few weeks it felt natural and I could use weights that made more sense to me for my strength levels. Hope this makes sense!

[quote]bignate wrote:
what the fuck is happening[/quote]

I actually LOL’d

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I think the short answer to your question is neural adaptation. When you get in the groove of a particular set/rep pattern, your body adapts to it. When you add a bunch of reps from what you’re used to, it can be very tough at first. But your body can adapt to the new rep scheme fairly quickly.
[/quote]
This^. That is something I should of included in my post :).

[quote]bignate wrote:

0_o

word.

@op
Either 5x5 is somehow not working for you or you’re doing it wrong.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:

0_o

word.

@op
Either 5x5 is somehow not working for you or you’re doing it wrong.[/quote]

Ger-MAN-y

When it comes to benching/pressing, I experience the same thing if i do 5x5 for a while then try to do sets of 10 they are much harder.

going back to 5x5 is always easy because you’re use to blasting sets that are twice as long.

shit even going from 4x8 to 3x10 is rough.

[quote]bignate wrote:

x2 This is awful. What ever happened to trying out a routine for 6 months and then just being happy with the results instead of complaining the whole way through?

To the OP: Get stronger. When you can bench 100kg 5x5 then I guarantee you 100% that your strength for sets of 12 will be stronger than they are currently.

I am still doing the 5X5, I just did this today cos my brother wanted to. Just seemed wierd that I could gain strength yet lose it on higher rep ranges.