How Do You View Soreness?

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Also how does his 6 days mean he “leaped” beyond his current ability, and you being sore for 5 was merely a “serious workout”. What the fuck are you hercules?[/quote]

Good grief X-Factor, calm yourself. In fact, I am actually the greek mythical figure Hercules, existing solely through the T-Nation forums.

In reality, I’ve been training for almost a decade, and the original poster had 1 total post on the board, which led me to believe he’s a beginner. So, for a beginner, I would say that being sore for 6 days is excessive, but for someone who has experience and has proven good results with such a stimulus, my own 5-day soreness is acceptable.

It’s called an opinion, and an informed one at that, I’m not quoting it as fact.

Someone might suggest this for a new round table discussion…shugs??

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
X-Factor wrote:
Also how does his 6 days mean he “leaped” beyond his current ability, and you being sore for 5 was merely a “serious workout”. What the fuck are you hercules?

Good grief X-Factor, calm yourself. In fact, I am actually the greek mythical figure Hercules, existing solely through the T-Nation forums.

In reality, I’ve been training for almost a decade, and the original poster had 1 total post on the board, which led me to believe he’s a beginner. So, for a beginner, I would say that being sore for 6 days is excessive, but for someone who has experience and has proven good results with such a stimulus, my own 5-day soreness is acceptable.

It’s called an opinion, and an informed one at that, I’m not quoting it as fact.[/quote]

Gotcha dude, i’m not freaking either. Just stating my informed opinion also. I just never bothered to look at his post total, because I could’nt give a shit. I think it’s just a matter of opinion on what works for whomever, he has to learn some how. I’m just trying to get the science across with some “real” experience also. Everything is good in small doses.

To the original poster, I think you need to clarify what you call soreness to get a good answer.

For example, if I have neglected squats and then jump back to them as if I never stopped, then I’ll be walking funny because my legs are sore.

If I haven’t neglected squats and I just do a good squat workout, then I’ll feel my legs, but they won’t qualify as sore, perhaps a bit “stiff” maybe.

Personally, anything less than soreness just feels right. It lets me know I put in some good work. It reminds me to stretch during the day.

I don’t view soreness, I feel it.

soreness does not correlate with performance at all. Use performance as your measuring stick.

I actually like being a little sore after a good workout. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, I don’t let it stop me from working out again. Usually after my warm up set, the soreness subsides.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
call me old fashioned, but I view soreness as a sign of progress.

I know there’s plenty of info out there that proves you can make gains without soreness as an indicator, but I’ve always made sure the muscle groups I’m working are sore for 2-4 days after I work them, and my muscles have kept growing, so I’m sticking to it…[/quote]

Me too. It’s not a painful soreness, but more of a “damn I had a good workout” soreness.

[quote]squeezer wrote:
Do you take soreness as a sign to back off a while, or a speedbump to push through? I’m talking about the soreness that comes with a new movement or an exercise you have not done in a while. F’rinstance, I just started doing skullcrushers, which is a different stress than the dips I normally do,and my tri’s are sore 48 hours later.

Should I accept the soreness as part of the repair/growth cycle, wait until it subsides before doing triceps again, or push through and do my workout today, knowing I may not get all the way through it, since I’m starting out sore?? [/quote]

I find DOMS for me peaks at 48 hours (around) tehn this it is gone.

I wouldn’t necessarily worry if it is a new exercise and different stress.

How often are backing up in a week or cycle?

If it was sore the next week it might be a problem.

A question about the soreness. What do you feel is the hardest thing get sore, and what muscles make you feel the best when they are sore or “felt” after a good workout?

Delts are probably my answer for both.

[quote]Boyder326 wrote:
Delts are probably my answer for both.[/quote]

agreed on the difficulty factor, although a sore back/traps is a favorite of mine

I’ve never really had sore lats. THAT would be cool.

[quote]Boyder326 wrote:
A question about the soreness. What do you feel is the hardest thing get sore, and what muscles make you feel the best when they are sore or “felt” after a good workout?[/quote]

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
I’ve never really had sore lats. THAT would be cool.

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree.

I’ve been on a bulk for 9 weeks now, and I was only stiff for maybe the first 2 weeks - haven’t really felt much the day after a workout since then. My lifts have gone up considerably, so I’m definitely progressing.

Maybe it’s because I sleep about 10-12 hours a day? Anyway, back to lifting.

DOMS is caused by too much focus on the eccentric portion of an exercise as opposed to the concentric. Its also caused by exceeding one’s own 1RM. In other words, don’t lift more than you can correctly handle. “They” don’t really know with certainty what’s happening inside the muscle to make it sore. IMO if it’s sore, let it heal, that’s where growth comes from.

And I agree, sore lats would be cool as hell.

sore lats are definitely cool, although I’m wondering why I’m the only one who’s had them…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Boyder326 wrote:
Delts are probably my answer for both.

agreed on the difficulty factor, although a sore back/traps is a favorite of mine[/quote]

Bauer quit copying me, lol. Yes I enjoy the sore lats/traps

Sore lats do feel great. Sore delts are’nt really that great feeling, just difficult to achieve, I find heavy presses to begin with and the tonnes of volume kill my delts. Sore legs just friggin suck if it’s REALLY bad. Sore forearms a hard thing to do. Sore abs feel cool.

But i’m sticking with bouncing pecs coming down a flight of stairs with DOMS, best feeling in the world.

[quote]Will Heffernan wrote:
Soreness in a lot of cases is a nutritional issue more than a training stimulus response.[/quote]

I think this is true also. If I was to workout on a Friday…then have a couple of drinks that night (get drunk), I will be sore for far longer than I would if I just ate some food, drank water, and slept (This is how I have understood just how bad drinking is for progress).

Also, the less sleep I get, whether sober or not, the more sore I am. Sleep plays a crucial part in it for me.

Although, yes, I am also old fashioned…if I’m not sore the next day, I just don’t feel like I worked hard enough (as much as science disproves this).

Original poster here, back again. For an intro, let me say I have had a stack of weights and a bench in the basement for a good part of the last 2+ decades (I’m 38).

Of course, my body does not look like I’ve been working out dilligently for 20 years, but I have tried to stay “in the game”. I am 6’1", and last year this time I was running 218.

I am now down to about 186, mostly through maintaining a healthy calorie deficit and working out more steadily. I was doing cardio to get my weight down (rope jumping, stepper, bike), then bodyweight (pushups, pullups, dips, heavy bag), now adding more weight in again to build muscle on my new thinner frame.

At my age, I’m trying to be more intelligent, knowing that adding new muscle at 38 will not be easy (although I am a quick gainer when I get in a groove). I found this site during the summer, just posted now.

In the spirit of being more intelligent, I have been trying to understand the value of rest to growth, instead of a youthful rush at the weights 4x a week, so my question just had to do with soreness after starting a new movement, like a “pump” feeling 2 days later.

Should I let it subside before hitting the bodypart again, or hit it and work through the soreness. Is working it too soon going to be counterproductive, i.e. never letting the muscle properly heal & rebuild?