How Do You Train Prof X ?

I think it varies from person to person…I know I can press well over 315 on the HS inclines, but I am nowhere near that with the free weights. My HS incline is such that you are seated vertically rather than laying horizontally, so this likely changes the mechanics of the movement.

Also, can someone link me to Prof’s picture thread?

I just looked it up:
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/iso-lateralbenchpress

And starting resistance on those machines (the plate loaded machines, specifically the bench press) is only SEVEN POUNDS. That means it is pretty damn close to real weight so I am not sure why someone would devalue them or compare them to leg press machines.

You know, because they dont work those stabilizer muscle groups.

Aparently, everyone is still using machines, because Iv never seen anyone with stabilizer muscles that were developed enough to be seen.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
n3wb wrote:
Kill’Em All wrote:
Dam 495 for 10 incline is more than dorian did in blood and guts video.

The first time you posted that I let it go because Im sure its stil alot of weight. And I didnt want to come off as jelous, any way…

Its not realy 495, its a machine. I can leg press around 900lbs but I would be crushed by a real 900lbs.

This came off as jealousy didnt it…

Might have posted this twice.

It is a machine. A Hammer Strength machine, and while I have no clue as to how that relates directly to free weight, my assumption is that it isn’t that far off. This isn’t a cable machine we are talking about and leg presses don’t translate to free weights because of the angle of the press. That is slightly different.
[/quote]

I think I’ve read that, because of stabilizers and what not, the barbell bench press will be approximately between 85-90% of the Hammer bench press. And the dumbbell bench press will in turn be about 85-90% of the barbell bench.

I don’t remember where I had read this, but the numbers sound about right to me.

I just looked it up:
http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/iso-lateralbenchpress

And starting resistance on those machines (the plate loaded machines, specifically the bench press) is only SEVEN POUNDS. That means it is pretty damn close to real weight so I am not sure why someone would devalue them or compare them to leg press machines.

[/quote]

Im not putting down the machine, I was checking out new gyms and I think they had that exact machine, the movement felt good and if I got a membership there I would use it.

1000lbs on a leg press is still 1000lbs its just the leverage and movement make it easier. thats why I compared the HS bench machine to a leg press.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I just looked it up:

Im not putting down the machine, I was checking out new gyms and I think they had that exact machine, the movement felt good and if I got a membership there I would use it.

1000lbs on a leg press is still 1000lbs its just the leverage and movement make it easier. thats why I compared the HS bench machine to a leg press.

[/quote]

Actually, depending on the angle, on some leg presses 1,000lbs would be more like 800lbs or less. “Leverage” doesn’t simply make them easier. Most of the weight being reduced due to the angle of the movement makes it easier. Pushing a car uphill is not like bench pressing a car.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
You know, because they dont work those stabilizer muscle groups.

Aparently, everyone is still using machines, because Iv never seen anyone with stabilizer muscles that were developed enough to be seen.[/quote]

People need to distinguish between advice for people who have been training for a while and that to newbies. I already know it decreases the work of stabilizer muscles. That is WHY I use it.

I already spent time doing barbell presses. I got up to 405lbs doing that. I already put time in doing dumbbell presses for years. I started moving more towards machines when I began needing a spotter to get the weight into position and during the movement. Other than that, I consider dumbbells the greater contributor to development up until that point.

I am NOT recommending that people need to avoid training their “stabilizer muscles” which would include shoulders, triceps, lats, serratus, and even abs. I am simply stating what I do RIGHT NOW and it seems that some people need this to be stated over and over which is something that confuses me.

Do you typically go below your 3 RM anytime during the week? A lot of people work up to a 3RM, and I think the systemic (neural) fatigue that such heavy loads cause limits what they can do for everything else the rest of the week. At least that’s true with me.

Do you find that the bodyparts you work later in the week aren’t hit as good as those in the beginning, due to the fatigue incurred by the prior training days?

Do you have a picture of yourself, I can see, X? :slight_smile:

X, you really should do some competing man.

If you at 255 is where you’re at now, I’d give it a shot. Looking strong.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
X, you really should do some competing man.

If you at 255 is where you’re at now, I’d give it a shot. Looking strong.[/quote]

I actually do plan to eventually. It is just that I see myself as having a long way to go while some of the guys I train with seem to think I am just procrastinating for no reason. Two of them just competed in the local NPC contest about two weeks ago (or was it last week?). One dropped 40lbs (and he was in good shape to begin with) to get stage ready.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Do you typically go below your 3 RM anytime during the week? A lot of people work up to a 3RM, and I think the systemic (neural) fatigue that such heavy loads cause limits what they can do for everything else the rest of the week. At least that’s true with me.

Do you find that the bodyparts you work later in the week aren’t hit as good as those in the beginning, due to the fatigue incurred by the prior training days?[/quote]

No, I don’t find that my body parts later in the week aren’t hit as good. if that were the case, I would assume that I was not recovering. I train, on average, one body part a day (aside from calves which are done almost daily). That allows plenty of time to be rested by the time I hit a body part again, even if it is the same body part later in the week.

You asked about a “3 rep max” as if I do that regularly. If you think that, I think you are missing what I tried to make clear as far as “training according to feel”. I didn’t write that I regularly do 3 rep maxes. I don’t.

Just out of curiosity, you ever have any training related injuries, X?

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
Do you have a picture of yourself, I can see, X? :)[/quote]

Prof,

I appreciate all of your good advice on this forum and would definitely like to see a picture to see the results of all of your training.

new2

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Just out of curiosity, you ever have any training related injuries, X?[/quote]

I had one about 5 years ago when I had some random gym idiot constantly challenge me because he heard me talking with some other guys about what I was curling for dumbbells. In a very stupid movement on my part and without warming up like I would usually do, I proceeded to curl the weight in question and strained my right brachioradialis. It wasn’t a severe injury but (considering I never quit training) it took forever to heal and now seems to be a weak link as far as me going higher in weight.

The moral of the story is don’t show off just because some random fool 50lbs lighter than you claims to not believe you can lift a certain weight.

Other than that, I seem to heal pretty quickly and haven’t had any other lasting injuries related directly to training.

KombatAthlete wrote:

Do you find that the bodyparts you work later in the week aren’t hit as good as those in the beginning, due to the fatigue incurred by the prior training days?

No, I don’t find that my body parts later in the week aren’t hit as good. if that were the case, I would assume that I was not recovering. I train, on average, one body part a day (aside from calves which are done almost daily). That allows plenty of time to be rested by the time I hit a body part again, even if it is the same body part later in the week.

You asked about a “3 rep max” as if I do that regularly. If you think that, I think you are missing what I tried to make clear as far as “training according to feel”. I didn’t write that I regularly do 3 rep maxes. I don’t.[/quote]

I know, I was just saying that heavy lifting in the 1-3 RM range is a big cause of neural fatigue, and I was just asking if you did any such lifting when you were “training by feel”. I understand the concept, I was just wondering if you ever “feel” like lifting with that high a % of your max.

Also, how much do you normally sleep?

People, a picture is in his profile.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I know, I was just saying that heavy lifting in the 1-3 RM range is a big cause of neural fatigue, and I was just asking if you did any such lifting when you were “training by feel”. I understand the concept, I was just wondering if you ever “feel” like lifting with that high a % of your max.

Also, how much do you normally sleep?
[/quote]

I don’t plan “1-3 rep maxes”. I haven’t done a weight I could only lift 3 times in quite a while (maybe a year). If I do it again, it will be because it feels right and I am trying to hit a new weight range. That would be hard to do when not actively working on gaining.

I don’t sleep much. I have written that before. I’ve always been a mutant.

[quote]new2training wrote:
Misterhamper wrote:
Do you have a picture of yourself, I can see, X? :slight_smile:

Prof,

I appreciate all of your good advice on this forum and would definitely like to see a picture to see the results of all of your training.

new2

[/quote]

Any pics I do have are in my profile. It isn’t like I have any professional photos. If you want professionalism in photography, look at Mad Titan’s.

You are one large mofo X, I’d deff like to see you compete soon. That would be badass.