How Do You Train Prof X ?

Hi Professor X

I’m very interested in the way you train. Could you give an example of your current training workout. I would like to thank you as you give some very good advice.

yours thankfully

mark

It might be the case the Prof. X’s training is inappropriate for someone whose body doesnt have the experience his does. On the other hand, its obvious that he trains HARD.

I’m sure if you take one thing from him, its to train hard, listen to your own body, and not take everything you read or hear on the internet from authors as gospel.

[quote]Jason van Wyk wrote:
It might be the case the Prof. X’s training is inappropriate for someone whose body doesnt have the experience his does. On the other hand, its obvious that he trains HARD.

I’m sure if you take one thing from him, its to train hard, listen to your own body, and not take everything you read or hear on the internet from authors as gospel.[/quote]

That’s three things, but I agree. To the Op, if you post some info about where you are currently in your size, strength, and goals, he might be able to give you some quantitative advice as well…

Today’s tip comes from Christian Thibaudeau:

Train Like a Pro. IF You’re a Pro!

The training programs professional athletes use are designed for pros: genetic wonders who already have more than ten-plus years of serious training behind them. They already have the base, the work capacity, and the general conditioning. Their program can focus on correcting specific flaws or filling some precise needs. A young athlete should first focus on building up his foundation of muscle mass, strength, and work capacity. If you want to train like a pro, train like he did when he had your level of experience, not how he’s training now!

But I’m sure if you give us your stats, we all can help get bigger, stronger, etc.

The good Professor discussed his training a while back, and took the time to patiently answer a lot of follow-up questions as well:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=651079

[quote]jwillow wrote:
The good Professor discussed his training a while back, and took the time to patiently answer a lot of follow-up questions as well:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=651079 [/quote]

Some good reading in there, I always sort of wondered about some of this stuff.

I found the comments concerning weight, form, and stagnancy kind of interesting.

When I was first lifting, I did what he talked about sort of intuitively. I used periods of stagnation to work on a given weight, as I would normally allow a bit of cheating, to allow me to use my working weights a little more strictly.

I’ve had the idea of strict form so hammered into my head since that I usually avoid a bit of cheating to help a weight up, but it does make me wonder how many people might be holding themselves back by being total form nazis. I’ve never met a truly large/muscular person who didn’t get a bit loose with form, and I have to admit the biggest form nazis I know tend to be smaller folk.

[quote]jwillow wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=651079 [/quote]

Markandspike, if that link doesn’t tell what you want to know, just ask.

[quote]jwillow wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=651079[/quote]

Prof X is very informative and helpful. I’d like to see T-Nation have him do an article on his training.

How about it guys?

I’m curious if you still focus solely on leg curls as your direct hamstring movement. In 2005, you said they were lagging, have they improved?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jwillow wrote:

Markandspike, if that link doesn’t tell what you want to know, just ask.[/quote]

Hey professor X I read through some of your routines. Are you really pressing 5 plates each side on incline for 8 reps? IE 495 lbs? Wow now that is impressive!

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jwillow wrote:

Markandspike, if that link doesn’t tell what you want to know, just ask.

Hey professor X I read through some of your routines. Are you really pressing 5 plates each side on incline for 8 reps? IE 495 lbs? Wow now that is impressive!
[/quote]

10 reps. My strength hasn’t made much of a jump in that area for a while since I was working on dropping weight and maintaining a certain bodyweight for the past few months. Also, it takes much more time to improve in that area now than if I were just starting to train.

[quote]ninesemesters wrote:
I’m curious if you still focus solely on leg curls as your direct hamstring movement. In 2005, you said they were lagging, have they improved?[/quote]

My legs have improved but not as much as I would like. I keep saying I am going to do like a couple of other guys I train around and train legs twice a week (one day with lighter weight), but honestly, I just haven’t had the time or the energy for that because of my current schedule.

Dam I respect a 495 incline more than bench. Cause you cant cheat on it.

If you ever get a video of that Id buy it! ha ha.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ninesemesters wrote:
I’m curious if you still focus solely on leg curls as your direct hamstring movement. In 2005, you said they were lagging, have they improved?

My legs have improved but not as much as I would like. I keep saying I am going to do like a couple of other guys I train around and train legs twice a week (one day with lighter weight), but honestly, I just haven’t had the time or the energy for that because of my current schedule. [/quote]

Hmmm…not good enough X. Make the time and effort. You know your legs are begging to be done twice a week. Dig deep and DO IT!

Yes, this is a bit of your own medicine :wink:

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ninesemesters wrote:

My legs have improved but not as much as I would like. I keep saying I am going to do like a couple of other guys I train around and train legs twice a week (one day with lighter weight), but honestly, I just haven’t had the time or the energy for that because of my current schedule.

Hmmm…not good enough X. Make the time and effort. You know your legs are begging to be done twice a week. Dig deep and DO IT!

Yes, this is a bit of your own medicine :wink:
[/quote]

You’re right.

Prof X,

I just read over your training and was wondering if you ever deadlift. If so how much and how often. Thanks in advance.

im sure this has been asked a thoushand times and i tried to look it up. but came up empty.

do you have any physique pics floatin around professor X?

Dam 495 for 10 incline is more than dorian did in blood and guts video.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
Dam 495 for 10 incline is more than dorian did in blood and guts video.[/quote]

The first time you posted that I let it go because Im sure its stil alot of weight. And I didnt want to come off as jelous, any way…

Its not realy 495, its a machine. I can leg press around 900lbs but I would be crushed by a real 900lbs.

This came off as jealousy didnt it…

Might have posted this twice.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Kill’Em All wrote:
Dam 495 for 10 incline is more than dorian did in blood and guts video.

The first time you posted that I let it go because Im sure its stil alot of weight. And I didnt want to come off as jelous, any way…

Its not realy 495, its a machine. I can leg press around 900lbs but I would be crushed by a real 900lbs.

This came off as jealousy didnt it…

Might have posted this twice.[/quote]

It is a machine. A Hammer Strength machine, and while I have no clue as to how that relates directly to free weight, my assumption is that it isn’t that far off. This isn’t a cable machine we are talking about and leg presses don’t translate to free weights because of the angle of the press. That is slightly different.