T Nation

How Do You Train and Eat Week Before Competition (Meet)

Hi, it is now week before my first competition, i ended last weekend with peaking and now i dont know what is the “best” to do.
I was thinking about resting whole week with light cardio, back massage and carb up phase 2 days before the comp.
How do you spend your week before comp?

I will just work up to light singles at approx 75%. My last heavy deadlift is usually around 10-12 days out from the meet. I will squat and bench about 5 days out.

I am competing next weekend also. I have a log here if you want to see how I wrap up my training.

Don’t do anything you wouldn’t normally do. If you don’t get massages usually or do cardio then dont start now, you don’t know how it will affect you.

Good luck next week!

6 days out: swap to liquid only diet of shakes with 2 chicken breasts a day. plenty of cod liver and BCAA
5 days out: same
4 days out: same
3 days out: begin consuming about 5g vit C, up my BCAA intake and consume 10L water along with the same diet
2 days out: same
1 day out: consume 2 shakes, 10L water, 5g vit C, 10g BCAA, 1 solid meal. stop eating 16hrs out from weigh in.
on the day: eat nothing until weign in, after weigh in drink 6L gatorade, 1 chocolate bar, protein shake, and and energy supplement mixed with extra BCAA… sit and wait…

Bearing in mind my weigh ins are a few hours out from comp and this sort of diet does not affect my strength. this will ruin most peoples chances of winning. Its just what I do.

Take it easy, I dont suggest going over 60% for any lifts that week

If your weight is fine, eat like a horse, if not, really focus on that.

Eat, sleep and drink lots of water.

I forgot to add:

do your openers the week before the meet. Some people say to do your deadlift opener 2 weeks before, but I think it all depends if your CNS can handle it. Just do what feels good.

For my meet, I just ate like normal, and didn’t train at all. I felt great come meet day, and overall things went very well.

I didn’t worry about my weight, since, well, I don’t care that much. I actually competed in the 242’s even though I would have made it in to the 220’s.

I’m getting ready for the APF meet Al Caslow is putting on in Feb… today is 2 weeks out so last week I went to my 2nd attempts, this week was just heavy enough to get me to depth in my suit ( so really light ~ 65% )… Next week I’ll hit my openers and get ready for the meet…

the week before I try to sleep a little more than usual and my mid-week workouts are lighter than usual but especially until you have this down to an art form try not to change your routine up too much… if you usually have a steak the night before a big training day then do that before your contest… it’s way better to leave the meet wondering if you could have had 50 lbs more with XYZ in your diet than to poo yourself while squatting because that hot diet tip wasn’t so hot after all…

personally as much as I love deep tissue massage and trips to the hot tub I do avoid those the week before so my back can tighten up to keep my spine safe while squatting heavy…

I’m lifting at Al’s meet too. Next week I take my openers, and that’s about it. The week of the meet I do mobility and stretching to keep my joints mobile. If I do nothing all week, then I’m really tight at the meet.

For a meet where I’m not cutting:

Eat normally with extra carbs spread throughout the day for the week prior. If I add too many carbs to my days all at once my body feels like shit. I add about a box of pizza spread out throughout the day. With chicken and broccoli on it.

And maybe a little Dbol wouldn’t hurt.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
And maybe a little Dbol wouldn’t hurt.[/quote]

Lol

I’ll be competing in my first meet in a few weeks, so this stuff is great. Cheers guys! Right around now do you guys tend to taper your volume and really hammer the intensity until the two weeks before? Or is this plain stupid?

[quote]Bob-P wrote:
6 days out: swap to liquid only diet of shakes with 2 chicken breasts a day. plenty of cod liver and BCAA
3 days out: begin consuming about 5g vit C, up my BCAA intake and consume 10L water along with the same diet
1 day out: consume 2 shakes, 10L water, 5g vit C, 10g BCAA, 1 solid meal. stop eating 16hrs out from weigh in.
on the day: eat nothing until weign in, after weigh in drink 6L gatorade, 1 chocolate bar, protein shake, and and energy supplement mixed with extra BCAA… sit and wait…
[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting. Important to note, though:

[quote]Bob-P wrote:
this will ruin most peoples chances of winning.
[/quote]

I dont lift a month before at all. I also cut whiskey consuption down to a gallon a day.

[quote]Bob-P wrote:

Bearing in mind my weigh ins are a few hours out from comp and this sort of diet does not affect my strength. this will ruin most peoples chances of winning. Its just what I do.
[/quote]

This is an interesting regimen. Quick question: How much weight do you lose in these six days??

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I dont lift a month before at all. I also cut whiskey consuption down to a gallon a day.[/quote]

I LOLed.

15 days out - last heavy deadlift (work up to heavy single with reverse bands)
12 days out - last heavy squat (work up to heavy double, then +50 lbs or so for reverse bands)
10 days out - last heavy bench (work up to heavy 4 board)
8 days out - back and shoulder assistance work, moderate intensity
6 days out - light raw squats, speed bench w/chains (very easy)
4 days out - foam roll, easy bodyweight stuff to get blood moving
2 days out - make weight (might start by cutting carbs on day before if i have to cut that much)
1 day out - weigh in, then eat and drink to regain weight and induce carb coma so i sleep well

Eat anything and everything. Fuck weight classes. Be as strong as possible.

^True dat!^