T Nation

How Do You Time Your Surge Intake?

I was just wondering what type of timing everyone used when taking their Surge. I used to take mine during and after a workout but then I learned that some of the protein may be wasted as it was oxidized. Now I take one serving before and one after. What type of regiment do you use? I know there are several different ways. Is anyway more effective than the others?

Thanks.

Check out the Growth Surge Project articles by Dr. John Berardi, the guy who formulated Surge.

He suggests a half serving during workout. I follow his recommendations.

I can’t do the half-serving during the workout. I just wind up puking a scoop of Surge. I can do it if I’m doing EDT, and drink it in the break. I usually just slam a serving immediately after my workout.

I take 2-3 scoops of Low-Carb Grow! about 90 minutes before the workout and Surge immediately post workout. Then an hour later I take 2-3 scoops of Low-Carb Grow! or a balanced meal.

My theory is that you get blood amino acid levels up going into the workout, but not glucose. If you raise glucose by taking Surge pre or during the workout your not going to deplete muscles enough to cause the same post workout supercompensation. Then you take Surge post WO, but your blood amino acid levels will drop because everything is shuttled into the muscles and this can cause it to come right back out in response to the low levels, so you need a longer acting protein within an hour to stabilize things. Again that’s my THEORY.

[quote]Sasage wrote:
I was just wondering what type of timing everyone used when taking their Surge. I used to take mine during and after a workout but then I learned that some of the protein may be wasted as it was oxidized. Now I take one serving before and one after. What type of regiment do you use? I know there are several different ways. Is anyway more effective than the others?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’d be careful taking it before your workout. Since it gives you a quick insulin spike you may experince hypoglycemia later in your workout. This is one reason why JB recommends taking it during your workout.

I normally take 2 servings after my workout. One right afterwards and one 45 minutes later due to the fact my gym only allows water in the workout area.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
Check out the Growth Surge Project articles by Dr. John Berardi, the guy who formulated Surge.

He suggests a half serving during workout. I follow his recommendations.[/quote]

JB’s current recommendation is to take one serving during and one serving after. This is from his article “Nutrient Timing”

If your workout is short (45 minutes max) then drinking Surge during your workout seems to be self defeating. The primary mechanism by which post workout feeding works is through glycogen supercompensation due to local glycogen depletion. If you start drinking Surge early in a workout, you may prevent local glycogen depletion from ever happening. I think the theory of starting Surge during a workout is that it will take a little time for blood levels to rise and so they will be peaking right after a workout. I would say, just start Surge before your last couple of sets in this case.

[quote]Franco wrote:
Sasage wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

Franco and All,
Dave Barr talked about this on Double Tap. He stated that he is currently using glucose spaced through his workout to “supplement” his Surge and prevent any associated “crash”. I generally use it throughout the workout (ie a little after each few sets) and have experienced no ill effects.

I just started with Surge and was taking it 20-30 mins. before my hour workout. I was taking a scoop before and 1.5 after workout. I don’t know how it would be drinking it during workout, as I am afraid of puking, will try it though. I will say that it definately is helping me with recovery afterwards. I try and take Low-Carb Grow! 1-2 hours before workout too. I am not a man who has a specific theory, just trying to figure out whats right for me.

If you take it before your workout and don’t puke, there is no reason you will puke taking it during your workout. Eat a meal w/ a slower digesting protein(eggs,chicken,tuna,beef,Grow!) and some oats(amount depends on total kcal intake and carb intake) 60-120 min. before your workout. The time depends on your ability to workout w/ some food in you. With a proper pre-workout meal, you will be fine taking your surge or whatever post-workout. I eat 2/3 cup oats+a piece of fruit and 30-40g of protein 1.5 hrs pre-workout. Right after my workout I have 30g of malto,8 oz. skim milk, 8 oz. water, and 25g of whey. An hour later I’ll have a turkey sandwich on whole wheat w/ veggies+a banana sometimes. Other times i’ll have an orange or banana, 1/2-1 cup of oats and 30g of protein(usually a can of tuna or some Grow! mixed into my oats). This is very simple and effective. Just make sure you get enough protein+carbs around your workout. Make sure you train smartly and take care of your nutrition during the rest of the day, and you’ll be fine. Hardly anyone will notice that much of a difference in worrying over the small details. Great results will be achieved as long as one combines hard, heavy, and smart training, proper nutrition, and smart life choices. Worrying about other details is splitting hairs.

You guys seem very into glycogen depletion, why is this? Unless you’re competitive athletes or doing 2 a days then you should be focused on amino acid stimulation of protein synthesis.

Depending on your solid meal timing, a pre workout meal is the best way to accomplish this. Maintenance carbs during/post workout and another protein drink 60-80 minutes after the workout is optimal.

BTW-with JB, LL and myself, you have to know that this topic will come up in the Think Tank on Thursday.

Cheers

Read Dave Barr’s “The Naked Truth” and you’ll have all you need.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459463

-DV