How Do You Save Money?

I remember some talk show where they brought on some “financial expert” to help those saving money. The #1 common way to waste money is eating out often. Cooking at home will help you save alot of money, and will help your strength/physique goals at the same time. Other than that, I started shopping at more economically friendly grocery stores like Food 4 Less and Superior Grocery.

The usual Ralphs or Vons might sell skinless boneless chicken for $7 a pound, where these other stores sell it for less than $2 a pound. Broccoli went from $2 a lb to .39 cents a lb. I literally cut my food shopping cost by half if not more.

MarvelGirl I love your suggestion about using cash for the smaller things to avoid charges.

I use my debit card as a credit card now to avoid the charges and it also counts towards a good credit score, it being used as a debit, doesn’t

I have cut back on my coffee splurges

I also started better track of where my money goes. I was spending way too much on impulse items.

I didn’t buy a new truck this year. I usually buy a new Dodge every couple of years, but I really like the one I have, which I got loaded.

I’m a big time saver and have been all my life. Unfortunately that just seems to free up more money for my wife to spend. But I digress…

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I’m a big time saver and have been all my life. Unfortunately that just seems to free up more money for my wife to spend. But I digress…

[/quote]

that must piss off your girlfriend

This “save money” idea does not compute…

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

[/quote]

Naw, I’m okay with it. It keeps the wife busy.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
-I’ve been putting a large chunk of my salary towards stocks. This kind of panicked, pessimistic economic environment is an investor’s dream that usually comes about once in a lifetime.
[/quote]

This is something I’m interested in, but know nothing about. I kind of feel like I’d have to invest so much time into this that there’d be nothing else left in my life, lol.

[quote]G87 wrote:

This is something I’m interested in, but know nothing about. I kind of feel like I’d have to invest so much time into this that there’d be nothing else left in my life, lol.

[/quote]

It really doesn’t take that much time. I treat it like a university class, putting about an hour a day towards studying it. Do this for a year and you’ll be more financially savvy than the vast majority of the general public and even some so-called “financial advisors”.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Using coupons, buying massive amounts of skinless, boneless, chicken breast when its .97 a pound. Limiting the amount of dating I do and when I do: “you pay for your shit and I pay for mine” No more free rides on the GB gravy train. [/quote]

holy mother fucken shit man , 97 cents a pound.
we pay 17.99 a kg here , wtf !!! lucky

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

the easiest way to save money is to not spend what you make. spend on the bare essentials, if your wants are mostly materialistic then you are screwed. learn to have fun in other ways, play sports more.[/quote]

You’re pretty smart.

I’ve always lived a fairly frugal lifestyle:

I have no debt other than mortgage

I don’t buy if I don’t have the cash

Credit cards are paid on-line immediately after the purchase is made

I rarely eat out

I don’t drink much

I shop at Price Chopper grocery store

I make most of my own food including protein bars (I’m like the Amish power lifter)

I wear a lot of hand me downs I get from my rich boss which is nice because she has good taste, they fit me well and I hate clothes shopping

i try to meet 35yr old or older women in bars on the weekend.

i can usually make it last at least a few weeks where they can take me out to the mall so they can buy me lunch and maybe some clothes.

How do you make your own protein bars?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
i try to meet 35yr old or older women in bars on the weekend.

i can usually make it last at least a few weeks where they can take me out to the mall so they can buy me lunch and maybe some clothes.[/quote]

hahahahaha

I’d like to meet those women too. Will they buy me lunch?

Is this all women over 35? Fuck I didn’t get the memo that we’re supposed to have cash to take young men lunching and shopping.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
How do you make your own protein bars?

[/quote]

I found a recipe on Stronglifts.com but basically it’s protein powder, whole oats, peanut butter and a bit of milk. They work out to about 50 cents each versus $2-$3 for the ones you buy.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
I bottle and save my own urine. I’ve been doing so for about 7 years now. My basement is literally filled with 4 liter urine jugs. I figure this habit will somehow pay huge dividends in the future, although I haven’t determined how.
[/quote]

Did anyone else do the “WHAT?!” face to this comment?

ouro,

i’ll trade you a few trays of your protien bars for a few of their phone numbers?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
PimpBot5000 wrote:
I bottle and save my own urine. I’ve been doing so for about 7 years now. My basement is literally filled with 4 liter urine jugs. I figure this habit will somehow pay huge dividends in the future, although I haven’t determined how.

Did anyone else do the “WHAT?!” face to this comment?[/quote]

Is it necessary? No, but he does it anyway, because it’s sterile and he likes the taste.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
lostinthought wrote:

Naw, I’m okay with it. It keeps the wife busy.[/quote]

Bingo.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

Did anyone else do the “WHAT?!” face to this comment?[/quote]

LOL, I enjoy interjecting random shit into my posts to see if anyone actually reads them. Usually the answer to that is “NO”. Thanks for paying attention!