How Do You Pick Your Squat Stance?

I have found that when I squat with a narrow stance (feet slightly wider than shoulders) I can do more reps with moderate weight. But when I go wide stance I can squat a lot more weight for fewer reps. Ive done 500x12 just belt/wraps with a narrow stance, and 700x1 wide stance with loose breifs, belt and wraps. Thered be no way I could do that many reps with 500 out wide, even with the briefs on. Likewise, I doubt I could do 700 with a narrow stance with the briefs. So I’ll focus on doing reps with the narrow stance, and hit the heavy weights on the wide stance. I feel they are both beneficial and no matter what your goals are you probably should be doing both stances, maybe even other stances, it can only help to build everything.

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Go with what allows you to move the most weight.

HOLY COMMON SENSE BATMAN[/quote]

Since this is the powerlifting forum yes, but in all other sports the olympic style squat has a lot more carryover than the most weight lifted squat.[/quote]

This may or may not be true. Has it ever been tested?

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:

Btw, in my opinion, Louie Simmons is 100% Bullshitting in that video. He is very smart, but he also tends to get really defensive and rationalizes with some of his lifters techniques. Thats why I dont like him, he said his athletes jump higher than the top NFL players at the combnine. And while his point that lifting helps your hops is no doubt true, as a long jumper/powerlifter, I can tell you that that is such a ridiculous comment that he loses credibility for me.[/quote]

Very much off topic, but oh well:

I find NFL combine comparisons interesting. Not to discredit you, as a long jumper, but I fully believe Simmons is telling the truth with these claims. For instance the record for bench reps at 225 at the combine is what, 50ish? I wonder if there are guys training with him that cant do that.

Vert. jump: there seems to be a handful of guys that get over 40" every year at the combine. 40 inch vert is damn impressive but its not something ground-shattering. There are unofficial reports of people jumping 50-60+. Guys jumping 40+ with Simmons is not out of the question.

40 yd dash times, again a handful of guys get under 4.4: and thats truly not super impressive unless you can pair it with other football skills.

Great video. When does he talk about actually squatting to legitimate contest depth?

Wide stance is great if your fed does not require, top of hip joint below the top of the knees. I pull sumo with my feet about an inch from the plates, but I cannot squat like that as I lose considerable strength, as my hips move lower.

beef

[quote]Boffin wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Go with what allows you to move the most weight.

HOLY COMMON SENSE BATMAN[/quote]

Since this is the powerlifting forum yes, but in all other sports the olympic style squat has a lot more carryover than the most weight lifted squat.[/quote]

This may or may not be true. Has it ever been tested?
[/quote]
I have the study saved somewhere see if I can dig it up

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Great video. When does he talk about actually squatting to legitimate contest depth?

Wide stance is great if your fed does not require, top of hip joint below the top of the knees. I pull sumo with my feet about an inch from the plates, but I cannot squat like that as I lose considerable strength, as my hips move lower.

beef[/quote]

Who wants to get their hip joint below the top of their knee? That sounds awful.

[quote]RUHLFAN wrote:
I have found that when I squat with a narrow stance (feet slightly wider than shoulders) I can do more reps with moderate weight. But when I go wide stance I can squat a lot more weight for fewer reps. Ive done 500x12 just belt/wraps with a narrow stance, and 700x1 wide stance with loose breifs, belt and wraps. Thered be no way I could do that many reps with 500 out wide, even with the briefs on. Likewise, I doubt I could do 700 with a narrow stance with the briefs. So I’ll focus on doing reps with the narrow stance, and hit the heavy weights on the wide stance. I feel they are both beneficial and no matter what your goals are you probably should be doing both stances, maybe even other stances, it can only help to build everything.[/quote]

Pretty much why I made this thread. Seeing if squatting more weight/more reps has generalizations that can be made, and making sure I’m not just using shitty form and only activating my quads. Seems like it just depends on the person though.

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:
but hey, to each his own. Simmons is a very smart man even though i disagree with many points of his (especially when he reaches outside of pl training), and a large part of that is because he is equipped and on steroids, which adjusts many factors. But like I said, just because I dont like him and his methods, doesnt mean shit. I dont want to argue with anyone because I know that others have very very good reasons to follow his methods. [/quote]

…aaaand you just lost all credibility there too bud. Several Things:

• Louie may train mainly equipped guys, but in all of his articles, books, videos, seminars, etc… he talks about how the different training techniques TRANSFER to raw lifting. Yes, some specific work may be different (e.g., training mainly the lockout for equipped lifters) but the methodologies are the same. Read the first Westside thread on this forum where STB goes in detail to explain the transferrability of the box squat to the free squat - he does better job than I can.

• Louie has trained many different SUCCESSFUL ATHLETES outside of just the sport of powerlifting. Saying he doesn’t know jack shit is… well…asinine considering the calibre of athletes that he has trained. What is the caliber of athletes your precious certified coaches have trained? Collegiate. Well, Louie has trained pro-s so there goes that.

• Brandon Lilly, a 308 lb-er recently posted a 2,105 RAW TOTAL the first time EVER he competed raw. Brandon has trained at Westside. Whoa - who woulda guessed - apparently it is not only the gear that makes these guys strong…

• Have you seen some of Squatzilla’s (Harrington? I believe) box jump videos? That guy is retarded! Thinking those dudes are not athletic and don’t have impresive jumps is ridiculous.

Louie may not be the best to get his ideas clearly through articles, but when you listen to him, do some outside research, read where his methodologies came from, it all makes perfect sense actually. All of these training methodologies are deep-rooted in science about how the human body operates and adapts. Thinking it is only for this juiced-up guy or that gear-whore is stupid.