T Nation

How Do You Manage Load and Recovery?

Apparently Bruce Lee used to blend meat/chicken and drink it to adhere to his nutritional demands…

Why would anyone want to do this? Is it conducive to increasing athletic prowess? 301 repititions seems a little bit extreme

How long did it take you to get used to this? I’m aware everyone is different, but I find increasing carbohydrate intake allows for me to greatly increase my training intensity.

You have regrettably mistaken Bruce for a real life superman of Derek Poundstone

Regarding carbs; I didn’t find there to be a “getting used to” period. I started in high school/college, so been doing it a while, with occasional dives into higher carbs.

I don’t see a need to increase training intensity: I save that for comps

1 Like

I don’t know if this is true or not " Lee took his interest in power shakes to slightly-upsetting places, as the book claims he used to make shakes of raw hamburger meat".

The chicken shake thing is gross, though I can see how it’d help one adhere to a nutritional target if pressed for time OR if someone simply doesn’t want to keep eating. I find shakes are far easier to down than food, the caveat being it’s easy to have too much and throw it back up (has happened to me quite a few times)

I more just wanted to make fun of Lee and promote Poundstone, as the latter is way more awesome

I don’t want to do it at all dude. I do it BECAUSE it sucks

2 Likes

Masochist (joking).

WHAT! Could Poundstone perform a one inch punch that could send a 200lb male flying across the room?

Probably.

2 Likes

I’d really train little shy to failure (8-9RPE) and go for 2.5gm/kg of protein and other macros calculated.
Dividing my Meso’s over load and deload phase and record my progress through the year.
recovery wise, sleep is KING
And as stated by @T3hPwnisher there is no overtraining, just undereating, and also by Mike.

1 Like

I always like to clarify that a masochist LIKES the pain. I’m the opposite. I’m a hedonist by nature, and would best be described as an ascetic if we were to do labels.

Regarding Lee: let’s not do that discussion here.

That’s what I was implying :laughing:. Like “it hurts so good” type pain.

Right. I’m saying it doesn’t hurt good. It just hurts.

This is a extract from Dr. Mikes book chapter >fatigue management< this very well tells everything, however there is a upper limit to this, you should be able to know your MRV (maximum recoverable volume)

This is a good topic that I’m currently interested in. Being in my late 40’s with a long training career, I’ve often wondered about the right volume, overtraining, etc… I’ve recently taken to the philosophy of @T3hPwnisher and @ChongLordUno and have been just doing it and pushing myself. Burpees and swings; full body strength work; sprints and runs; and bodyweight work. Just eat, push yourself, eat some more, and then relax for a while.
That said, sleep and nutrition are increasingly important when you get older. And also, you do have to make some choices. For example, you can’t train for a marathon and simultaneously be pushing strength and size in the gym. All that said, there’s something about just putting your head down and getting in the work.

5 Likes

Somehow whenever I’m thinking about something, there’s always a thread/discussion on Tnation that addresses it :thinking:

1 Like

Not exactly on your point, but the gist is there: I saw a quote (don’t remember who/ where) that said something like it’s all the same exercises/ weights. Basically, there isn’t some magical combination and everyone is having you do some version of the same thing. So, to your point, just start doing and it works itself out.

3 Likes

Amen to that brother

1 Like

That sounds easy enough, but I wish my brain worked that way. Too much uncertainty and unaccounted variables. Not that I’d wish my anxiety on anyone, I just know that I’d either drastically over- or under-eat without tracking calories. Though if you keep posting videos of your Monolith training, I might just convince myself to follow your good example.

It’s seems like it’s important to do “Other Stuff” if you want to increase your workload. Like don’t just lift more Heavy Weights, find some other stuff to work on and progress as well. Like running or calesthenics. Or short conditioning sessions or whatever.

Do you dudes agree with that?

And did you find yourself doing less heavy lifting when you started doing more of the other stuff?

3 Likes