How do you like your veggies?

How does everyone like to cook and season their veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, salads, greens, etc). If anyone has any good recipes, seasonings, or preparation tips to pass along feel free to post them

Bed of salad greens to start. Add 1 oz shredded low/no fat chedder and sliced chicken breast or grilled hamburger or any meat of your choice. Add 1 T olive oil and vinegar and you have a P/F meal that covers up the nasty taste of greens in a couple of minutes…Other than that, I’ll microwave a bag of mixed frozen veggies and eat them throughout the day. Nothing fancy, but it gets it done.

Broccoli, cauliflower, I like to steam them, or if I’m in a hurry nuke’em and then keep them in the fridge, to cut down the cooking time. You can then saute them with olive oil, garlic, shallots and a shot of white wine, sherry, or madeira. If I’m in Asian mode I saute in peanut oil and sesame oil and then hit it with little soy sauce and bonito flakes for a Japanese flavor. Or I make a sauce out of chicken broth, oyster sauce, and sherry for a Chinese flavor. I could go on for ever. If you want specifics feel free to ask.

The single worst thing I do for my training and diet is failing to eat vegetables. I simply cannot stomach them. After trying to force them down for the past couple of years, I’ve developed a real aversion to them that I can’t overcome. Broccoli is at the top of the list of vegies I can no longer get down. Fortunately this hasn’t happened with any protein foods, although I’m suprised I still manage to eat as much tuna as I do! Any ideas on getting the stupid green stuff down? I could eat 100 whole chickens in a row and wash them down with 1000 protein and flax oil shakes, but I simply can’t eat vegetables anymore =(

There’s a great book called “Vegetables Every Day” by Jack (?) Bishop that gives lots of pretty easy recipes for veggies. Mostly it’s a combination of olive oil, salt and baking, with maybe some balsamic vinaigre or other things thrown in. (Goes beyond the usual steaming, though). Ends up being lots of cals from olive oil with the veggies. Besides the pealing, it’s easy. And tastes good. The only problem is you need to leave some time for the cooking.

Andy

If in a hurry I go to Trader Joes, get a bag of arugula, some feta cheese, extra virgin olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, and chicken breast. Twice a day I eat that salad, have been for 4 months. I belive if you add some different colored veggies here and there

Hey I used to be in the same boat as you. I couldn’t stand the taste of any type of veggie, especially broccoli. It wasn’t until I started eating frequenting chinese restauraunts and experimenting with different methods of preparation, sauces, seasonings, etc that it became palatable and now I actually crave broccoli raw or basically in any fashion. Maybe try adding some cheese for a start.

I just put some fat free italian dressing on steamed anything…about 30 cal total and tastes good with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas, green beans, whatever

Cheeses and sauces are okay when bulking, but I’m stumped as to what I should do to try and eat the stuff when cutting. Since I won’t be bulking for a couple of months I’ve got to try and work my way around this. Lightly frying vegies in a small amount of olive oil might be an option. I was also thinking about pre-packaged ones - is there anything wrong with those?

I’m so relieved to see that someone else feels the way I do in regards to veggies. I really don’t like vegetables, so I just don’t eat them. Four days a week I’ll tolerate a small salad of mixed greens, raw spinach, cucumber, and pear tomatoes. Then, I dump a can of salmon or tuna into it with a balsamic/olive oil dressing. Unfortunately, my views on fruit are about the same as well. I may have an apple every other day. Oh well, to each his/her own. Ciao.

I fry mine in methoxy 7.

Fortunately I enjoy most fruits. Apples and strawberries are staples in my diet.