T Nation

How Do YOU Know You're About To Grow?

So hypertrophy happens in spurts. A supercompensation effect, is the scientific term, but that’s not really what the topic of this thread is about.

My question to you all is, how do you know you’re about to go through one of these spurts? Increased appetite, deeper sleep, increased energy? Or for you do you know when you feel shitty? burnt out?

personally, I know because i go through periods of very increased appetite. Usually, day in day out, eating for hypertrophy is a grind. I feel stuffed, sluggish usually, especially after buffet raids. But on some days, every so often, like today, I can eat ALL DAY.

I feel like a vacuum and am never satisfied. All day today i’ve been thinking about what i’m going to have next, tasting the food in my mind, just can’t wait to get to the ohmnohmnohming. On these days, it’s easy to get in even another 1000 or so calories above what normally is a chore to eat.

As you can imagine, I feel like a kid before Christmas morning, can’t wait for the present that is lean body mass gains. What do you all experience?

How do you know if I am about to grow? I never really though about it honestly. I KNOW I have grown when my weight I use goes up. But I don’t feel any effects like you say.

The book of Ghidorah states that it occurs EXACTLY on the night of the mongolian harvest moon, when the first leaf blade falls into the closest running stream.

More recent research indicates about 2 hours, 27 minutes and 12.3 seconds after your last repetition involving the upper body and 2 hours 24 minutes and 14.4 seconds after the last repetition involving the lower body.

This assumes of course an upper lower split. TBT and bodypart splits have not been studied as extensively. The use of creatine can cause a .03% fluctuation in these times though.

So now that you know EXACTLY when your body supercompensates, you can eat JUST THEN and gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. No need to thank me.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
So hypertrophy happens in spurts. A supercompensation effect, is the scientific term, but that’s not really what the topic of this thread is about.

My question to you all is, how do you know you’re about to go through one of these spurts? Increased appetite, deeper sleep, increased energy? Or for you do you know when you feel shitty? burnt out?

personally, I know because i go through periods of very increased appetite. Usually, day in day out, eating for hypertrophy is a grind. I feel stuffed, sluggish usually, especially after buffet raids.

But on some days, every so often, like today, I can eat ALL DAY. I feel like a vacuum and am never satisfied. All day today i’ve been thinking about what i’m going to have next, tasting the food in my mind, just can’t wait to get to the ohmnohmnohming. On these days, it’s easy to get in even another 1000 or so calories above what normally is a chore to eat.

As you can imagine, I feel like a kid before Christmas morning, can’t wait for the present that is lean body mass gains. What do you all experience?[/quote]

i know because i just get this feeling through my body.

i eat more, all the time and i dont care what it is. i dont care what the macro content is all i know is i want to eat it.

a lot of people say if you want to increase your lifts you need to eat more but i feel that by having more intense workouts you increase your appetite.

sometimes i feel a lot more agressive or just a lot more horny. i remember one night in the summer passed when i just added rackpulls back to my regiment and i went like 1 or 2 days without jerking off and found a suprise when i woke up one morning.

[quote]Cron391 wrote:
How do you know if I am about to grow? I never really though about it honestly. I KNOW I have grown when my weight I use goes up. But I don’t feel any effects like you say.[/quote]

Same here. I really don’t know unless I can get another rep, or use higher weight. I wish there was some signs; maybe I’m not self aware enough.

When the previously heavy weight no longer feels as heavy.

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
When the previously heavy weight no longer feels as heavy. [/quote]

Bingo, thats the universal sign.

Maybe the phenomenon in question is something just i experience, either others don’t or they don’t notice.

On the scale, I usually go up weight slowly, maybe 1-2 pounds here and there at random intervals, or something i stay at a weight for a while (like 3-4 weeks), then suddenly i go up in weight by about 5-10 pounds in the matter of a week or a week and a half. Then my weight stays around there for a while, going up slowly.

I suppose what i’m talking about is short periods of very accelerated gains in mass that stays there after, not like water fluctuations.

I guess i’m just describing periods of time where, for some reason or another, all the stars line up with diet, stress, hormones, and training, and my body just makes an anabolic burst.

Usually these events are preceded by what i described before.

I am not talking about the classic “I know i gain .002137 pounds of muscle a week!” kind of thing, no satire is required.

Just wondered if others notice the same thing

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i know because i just get this feeling through my body.

i eat more, all the time and i dont care what it is. i dont care what the macro content is all i know is i want to eat it.

a lot of people say if you want to increase your lifts you need to eat more but i feel that by having more intense workouts you increase your appetite.

sometimes i feel a lot more agressive or just a lot more horny. i remember one night in the summer passed when i just added rackpulls back to my regiment and i went like 1 or 2 days without jerking off and found a suprise when i woke up one morning.

[/quote]

see thisss is what i’m talking about…except for the surprise in the boxers thing haha…i hate that shit. “Good morning!, now clean up!”

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
The book of Ghidorah states that it occurs EXACTLY on the night of the mongolian harvest moon, when the first leaf blade falls into the closest running stream.

More recent research indicates about 2 hours, 27 minutes and 12.3 seconds after your last repetition involving the upper body and 2 hours 24 minutes and 14.4 seconds after the last repetition involving the lower body.

This assumes of course an upper lower split. TBT and bodypart splits have not been studied as extensively. The use of creatine can cause a .03% fluctuation in these times though.

So now that you know EXACTLY when your body supercompensates, you can eat JUST THEN and gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. No need to thank me.

[/quote]

you read that book too? I like the part about making sure to eat extra during waxing moon phases. Waning moon phases are just a waste…

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

sometimes i feel a lot more agressive or just a lot more horny. i remember one night in the summer passed when i just added rackpulls back to my regiment and i went like 1 or 2 days without jerking off and found a suprise when i woke up one morning.

[/quote]

When I eat and eat and I’m still hungry

It feels like electricity running through my body when I’m about to hit the prime conditions. My appetite definitely shoots through the roof, and the DOMS from my workouts get even worse, to the point that I can barely function. My sleep becomes real deep and I can hit the gym pretty aggressively afterward.

My experience seems a little different from what others have described though, but I guess that is just the result of different genetics and hormone levels.

I know that when my diet is right, my training is right, and Im resting enough, that Im about to grow.

Did anyone ever think that maybe if you force-fed yourself during the sluggish phases, you might also experience a miraculous growth spurt? I think it might just be that you grow more when you eat more, and for some people, that’s a really hard thing to do, because they rely on their hunger too much. Thoughts?

-Sab

i no when i grow because i get a email from “The Oak”

[quote]Nakahhh wrote:
i no when i grow because i get a email from “The Oak”[/quote]

nice

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
When the previously heavy weight no longer feels as heavy. [/quote]

this and when I have a raging appetite, but then again, I really don’t know until after the fact

When I have a couple of workouts in a row where all my numbers go up

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a crazy appetite, or much appetite at all actually? I’m never hungry. I sometimes start feeling a bit hungry right before lunch if I haven’t eaten in a few hours.

It could be because I never go long without eating, but eating is a chore for me, even junk. I still eat a lot and am growing, but I like lifting a lot more than eating.