How Do You Know Your Natural Genetic Limit? Considering First Cycle

@SOUL_FIGHTER agreed. I almost feel like you shouldn’t give gear advice without posting a pic haha. I have. I also use Substanitally less gear than 90% of the egg heads on here and weigh around 265 currently haha. All these guys suggesting GRAMS of shit and look like hot trash.

Fixed for ya!

1 Like

Yeah I’ll get around to posting a pic. I got videos up in the video check in thread. I should def make a rate my physique thread tho

My gear advice is common sense stuff of usually telling kids who are relative beginners, and lift significantly less than the majority of natural athletes not to take gear.

1 Like

I agree with you’re above statement about many individuals using far too much however (in my opinion, I may be wrong), how big you get on anabolics, from training etc is partially dependent on genetics. Let’s say we have two people, they both use a large dose of AAS (so let’s say, 700mg of test/wk) they both implement optimal training routines, diets and supplement regiments. They’re both the same height, frame and have been training for equal amounts of time. Why is it that one individual might gain 10-20lbs more than the other? I’d pin that on genetics, thus some may actually require more to get the same results (or the other way round)

That being said I don’t believe many people (esp recreational gym goers) EVER need to use the retarded doses I see on here (like a gram/wk on a first cycle). My first “cycle” was only 250mg/wk!

The amount of androgen receptors one has in skeletal muscle probably plays a large role

1 Like

@unreal24278 life stress work stress relationship stress etc. who can say. Genetics do play a part but much lower than people think

While I agree with the notion that kids need to stay away from using anabolic steroids, I’m not so certain about lifting stats being a requirement for taking AAS. I understand one needs a base before undergoing a cycle of anabolics to avoid rapid strength gain leading to muscle/tendon tears, however I see no reason why someone should HAVE to be able to bench like 350, squat 415+ and deadlift 550+lbs before they hop on, it seems ludicrous that if one was using anabolic steroids for aesthetical purposes or strictly for bodybuilding that one would need to meet these strength requirements, esp if said athlete doesn’t train for strength.

Now, I’m very weak (at least when compared to individuals such as yourself or the lojster (that’s a new name for physiolojik, Doctor Sir seems to be catching on, let’s see how many new names I can invent!), I VEEEERRRY rarely bench press, I tend to use the bench machine (not Smith machine) as I don’t have a spotter to spot me, nor do I enjoy bench pressing. I don’t typically barbell squat, I focus on hack squats and leg presses, Romanian deadlifts etc. Thus what relevance does how much I can lift for exercises that I don’t even do equate to whether it’s appropriate for me to cycle (granted I’m not currently on cycle, haven’t been on “cycle” since late October.)

Thus someone who is intermediate/advanced may not be able to bench 350, especially if they don’t bench at all.

2 Likes

I think your circumstances are an anomaly, and most people will probably have the support of their physician if they need to pursue stuff at or near your age.

These numbers that this poster said were benchmarks that he himself used. If he said those numbers, but said he was an experienced bodybuilder who’s done a few shows, I’d be more likely to move onto another topic.

2 Likes

@SOUL_FIGHTER I see what your saying ad understand fully. I haven’t really gone for strength much at all and no I have not done any shows and have little experience body building so I’m that aspect I am a newbie but I’m far from when it comes to hypertrophy training. I also tend to.gravitste more towards hack squats and leg presses as well, I feel it a lot better in the muscles I’m trying to Target. I’m pretty strong in those exercises for my build though. I maxed out my gyms hack squats plate capacity which is like 720 lbs for 5 reps and also did leg press of 1,205lbs for 6 reps with knee wraps if that makes any difference what so ever

Wow this thread really went sideways for awhile. @aj2957, Look your lift numbers are certainly mediocre but not the worst I’ve seen prior to AAS. Here is my take. I did a couple cycles when I was your age and I my lifts were about the same. I was not ready. I made awesome mass gains on cycle. The problem was I lost 95% after PCT which left me cycling again. I ran several cycles back then for a couple years and then stopped. I lost almost everything despite consistent training and diet. I’m sure this doesn’t happen to everyone, but it did to me. You look good, probably feel good, and are only going to improve with age. Don’t mess with your hormones.

On a side note, I slowly built my body back up to what I consider peak performance into my mid 30s. I ended up with low T either due to my AAS use or also likely my use of propecia. So now I take test as part of a TRT regimen. I am 30lbs heavier than I ever was while cycling and a hell of a lot stronger. It just took 10+ years of training/diet and slow growth. I do mean slow.

After reading this the cartilage in my knees wore away.

3 Likes

:lol:

1 Like

@SOUL_FIGHTER I love that emoji, what letters do I have to put in to make it appear?

But yea @aj2957 6 and 175lbs is not large, you can def put on at least another 15 lbs or so maturally while maintaining a low BF percentage. I’m 5’5 and around 160, I consider myself to be very small. I will say though (I think at least) a 700lb hack squats is impressive for you’re height and weight. I only hack squat like 170lbs because I go for very high reps ATG. (ass to grass) and I personally find squats super exhausting. I prefer leg press.

Okay so I think this has gone way sideways. I want to clarify something, I haven’t done much strength training is that good? No but I lift heavy af for my size and yes thank you I am very aware that 6’ 175lbs is not big yet I never said I was. I am obviously an amateur bodybuilder not some ifbb pro or Mr Olympia so I’m not huge or experienced I get it. Thank you for the tips and advice it has helped a lot but for future reference please read someone’s entire thread to realize if they are a power lifter, bodybuilder, recreation lifter, etc when it comes to numbers. Yes I’m weak but any guys in the low 5’ whatever height don’t understand what it’s like to have to so more than 5 inch reps to build muscle. I’ve built some mass now but I used to look anorexic and lanky at barely over 100lbs at 6 foot tall and I’m not trying to be the biggest mf out there I’m trying to be an inspiration to the skinny little guys like me one day who have to go against all rules to grow. I’m pretty damn big for being that skinny ass kid with no frame or foundation to build weight on to

Genetically my body is like 65% legs, long as hell. And short narrow ass torso with long ass arms and metabolism that would make a crack head blush. Idc if I show my face on here but if I find a pic of me 2 years ago and a more recent one I’ll post it, go ahead roast away I already know it well come

That was me when I started bodybuilding a couple years ago no mare than 130lbs at 6’ tall

I’m at 178lbs about a week or so ago, no pump or nothing. But no recent pics I will attempt to take one soon

Yes still small and skinny but that’s a drastic difference for someone with my build but also I want to go pro so obviously I won’t do one cycle it’s going to be a long term commitment and yes I can afford to gain a few pounds of fat which I don’t care but my drive and fire and ambition whatever you call it surpasses everyone I know and have seen these passed couple years and I’m going to make a better life for my daughter than I’ve ever had the chance to live myself. Thank you for your time reading all of my long posts, I’m sorry

Me now, thanks

Buddy, nobody is knocking your progress. Its great, you’ve come a long way. The only point being made, if a bit flippantly, is that while your progress is good, you are a long way from where you can and inevitably, given your apparent drive and determination, will be.

The tone is, I suspect, intended to try and impress upon you just how much they think its a bad idea to do a cycle at this point.

Appreciate how committed you are, but going pro in any discipline, from physique to the open, requires both huge discipline and great genetics.

Are your genetics good enough? Maybe, I wouldn’t say it’s an obvious yes at this point, and if your goal was the open its probably a no. The only way to know for sure, however, will be to see how far you can get naturally. Or I guess take a punt on it and assume you are and do the cycles.

A great aspiration to live by. Be aware Steroid cycles and annual drug and ancillary regimens at the pro level are very expensive. Pursuing pro BBing might not be the best way to provide for your daughter, if that’s what you mean. From what I understand, all but the absolute top guys are pretty broke, and the ones that did make it were broke along the way.

3 Likes

Thank you for being real @Pinkylifting I know it’s a long process and it’s not easy but that’s what i love about it and what keeps me going plus it’s just simply fun. We do it and help people here and in life etc etc because why? That’s an easy answer: it’s because we love this shit! I have a HUGE decision on my hands because I know when I start gear I have to stick with it and depending on when I start will be how far I’ve gone naturally and I feel that yes I’m not at my genetic limit but I’m at the point without the AAS or something strong I won’t achieve what I am wanting which is to pile up as much mass as I can until I come back to America (I’m in Japan still until 2020) and then start cutting down and dieting to start doing shows

And yes before you say it I know that’s more than enough time to eat more and gin weight naturally before I come back but I would rather be that huge “roided meathead” while in a foreign country away from everyone I know and then dial it back once I’m home if that makes any sense what so ever…

No, it doesn’t, but only because you wont be able to dial it back in if you want to go pro.

1 Like