How Do You Hold a Drop Kick?

Yes, another thread, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ve all seen it in movies. They bring their foot straight up, way past the head and basically it’s like doing a split with one foot on the ground and the other directly above.
The catch is that they can hold this position.

Like this but held for an indefinite amount of time.

http://www.kimyogi.net/photogallery/Candice%20Taekwondo%20web.jpg

I can barely keep my leg up parallel to the floor without tremendous leg burning :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m curious if anyone here can do this or has a training plan or an idea on how to progress to reach this objective.

Thanks

I used to support myself on a wall, throw a kick out (i usually worked side kicks) and hold it at hip level for as long as possible. Obviously both sides. Then I’d go as high as I could and hold for 5 sec. I’d like 4 or 5 reps.

Easy. Keep practicing it. Hold it as high as you can for 10 second, rechamber it, extend for another 10 seconds or so, rechamber, and so on.

Get against the wall and have someone put your foot on their shoulder. Have them raise it up until you’re in a good stretch in the kick position. pull your leg down towards the ground, against their resistance (them not letting your leg move). Do about 3 sets of that, then have them hold your leg higher than you can hold normally. Then have them release it and try not to let your leg drop.

But pretty much, just keep practicing on holding it as high as you can as often as possible.

lol who cares bout holding it, axe kick them on the nose, or eye socket, or collarbone to break it! BAHHAHSDHAHADJSAHJDS

uh…dunno i can just do it… think it has to do with kicking a lot and hip flexor strength

Stretching, stretching, and more boring stretching.
At the sme time, you can watch MMA fights or olympic sports or hentai or whatever you dig, though!
Seriously, extended stretches, all kinds of slowly progressing exercises are the way to go.

Dynamic str., occasionally ballistic s., isometric resistance followed by various relaxation drills, fifteen+ minute ass-boring s., various assisted stretching, slowly placing a high kick on a partner’s shoulder without body english, raising you leg an inch (various angles) from a high resting position for 2-3 seconds…

Know your goals. Set realistic ones. Reaching the level of that kick-chic in one training period isn’t. At all.
Achieving both kinds of splits is one, for example, if you can’t do it already.

Know how to stretch the whole hip apparatus, all involved muscles, or you’ll suffer from shortened ligaments.
Very important.

You need decent core and leg supporting muscles. I take you know this already and this is probably the easiest part. V sits (and L sits for starters) are the obious pick for this one. Especially if your leg shakes and burns like you described.

Progress steadily. Don’t go for too much pain, volume is far more important here then intensity.
I’d say, five times a week is a must for improving flexibility. But do it when you are sure you can be fairly relaxed. Sometimes it’s great right after regular MA/GPP/ weights training, sometimes it can be better to do in the late evening, it all depends.

One last word: Gals have an advantage for doing these kind of acrobacy, it doesn’t mean we guys can’t but if you are determined to achieve this you have a LONG way before you.

That’s fine, but i’d like you to give me some examples of good stretches rather than just saying…stretch.

stand with your feet shoulder width apart. put one leg 1 1/2 shoulder width back. swing your back leg up as high as it will go keeping your leg straight and notleaning/falling in any direction (do 10 each leg)

do front splits as deep as you can hold for 40 seconds

sit with your legs as far apart as you can get reach down one leg and grab your foot, aim to get your chin on your knee, hold for 40 seconds then do the same on the other leg

these should get you flexible enough so once you can get your leg up high enough you can practice keeping it up

although i fail to see any reason why you’d want to do that

Oh i was just curious. I like to be able to do random feats of strength, flexibility and if i don’t know how to do it, i should learn how.
That’s all.

Well, OK then, how flexible are you at the moment? Can you kicks somone comfortably in the head? What about splits?

[quote]blazindave wrote:

We’ve all seen it in movies. They bring their foot straight up, way past the head and basically it’s like doing a split with one foot on the ground and the other directly above.

I can barely keep my leg up parallel to the floor without tremendous leg burning :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m curious if anyone here can do this or has a training plan or an idea on how to progress to reach this objective.

Thanks[/quote]

thats an axe kick
a drop kick is what you do in the WWE

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
blazindave wrote:

Thanks

thats an axe kick
a drop kick is what you do in the WWE
[/quote]

Oh, oops.
Thanks