T Nation

How Do You Guys Cut Weight?

For my federation it is 2hr weigh ins. Thus I will obviously not be doing some of the crazy techniques available to cut like 24lb in 24hrs... I personally only have like 3-4kg to drop and I was wondering what you guys think will be the best method to do so while being able to be ready to squat in 2hrs.

What I have done in the past is:

7-3 days prior: eat moderate sodium (like 2g per day) and drink 6L of water
36 hour prior - cut out all sodium
18-24 hour prior - cut out all liquids and only eat dry foods

Then after weigh I I will drink 2L of 50% gatorade 50% water with 50g of whey and 1g of sodium in total. I will also eat something like 2 large bagels. Then drink another 1-2L by the time I squat along with 3 granola bars or something of the like. Then eat normally during the meet.

How much are you trying to cut?

When you have done this in the past how much have you lost.

I would think with a protocol like this you could shed 6kg easy.

Powertower - as I said in my first post,3-4kg. In the past when I did this I cut 5kg so it seemed to work fine but I definitely felt fatigued by weigh in. I was just wondering if anyone had other ideas that works for them.

Try Pedialyte for re-hydration instead of chugging water.

I would also forget the whey too.

In university research, drinking Campbells chicken noodle soup is more hydrating then Gatorade as it triggers more uptake receptors.
**Have it pr-mixed and room temp for fast absorption.

The bagels are good but I would go:
-Pedialyte first and wait 15-30 minutes
-Soup 30-90 minutes after weigh ins
-eat normally after that

It's funny you mention chicken noodle soup. My go to rehydrator is Mr. Noodles. It's high sodium and I make it room temperature it's easy to drink. I find it's also nice on the stomach if you have nerves.

For the record, this is my opinion, I cut/competed once so far so I am by no means an expert on the subject.

If I was you I'd cut it all the night/morning before. I am faily lean (10% fat I'd guess) and I was able to drop 5 lbs from taking a dump and sitting in a hottub for 30 minues. It took minimal effort, so I would guess that you could easily drop the 3-4kg the night before (Remember you lose a couple pounds overnight too.

After writing this I realize I didn't really answer your question, I will post anyway.