How Do You Guys Control Your Temper?

My thought is that at a younger age, as a man, we are trying to prove to the world and to ourselves how powerful we are. So if we get disrespected, we must fight back.

As we get older we KNOW how powerful we are and are more secure with ourselves, and therefore dont have to prove anything to ourselves and the world around us.

Also;

There’s the s whole eq vs iq thing, try not to let your emotional quotient take over your intelligence quotient.

I was actually blowing up two days ago at work, my coworker isnt taking me seriously and not doing the things that need him to do in order for his dept (hes a supervisor) to perform better. He doesnt listen to me cause im not his boss…but my job is to help him.

I walked outside, punched the brick wall and slammed my binder and headphones on the ground, when i got to my office i grabbed my captains of crush gripper amd went to town.

Get a COC gripper and keep it close, work that thing till your hands and forearms hurt enough to ovverride your rage and anger.

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:
I’m 22 and I’ve begun to notice my temperament getting worse as time passes. I’m extremely concerned because I feel like I might do something stupid or even worst get knocked out. I don’t try to pertain that tough guy Alpha Male attitude if that’s what you’re thinking. I’m actually very friendly and not a fake tough guy.

Matter of fact i’m willing to admit i’m not a tough guy at all. However as soon as I get disrespected in certain ways I tend to lose my temper. For example when someones tailgating me while i’m driving. Or when I’m getting ready to walk through an entrance and instead of holding the door they keep walking and the door almost slams in my face.

I’ve read that short tempered people get better as they age because they become wiser and more responsible. I’ve never been arrested or even come close and haven’t gotten into a fight since middle school. Are there any techniques you guys use? [/quote]

Have you considered talking to a professional? Fuck the stigma, seriously. No, I’m not saying you need to medicate yourself (because quite frankly I am not a medical professional), but if you feel you get really upset and pissed off at indirect things like someone tailgating you or not holding the door open for you, then the problem may be deeper than just seeking advice on the forum. I am in no way making fun of you, I am just trying to give you honest advice. No one likes to be wronged, especially guys who don’t intentionally go out of their way to wrong others, but you have to keep it under control and you shouldn’t be ashamed to seek medical advice.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
There are too many soft people today. Good for you for getting mad, the world can be quite shitty and frustrating. Lift and get a lot bigger than them so you become naturally intimidating and they leave you alone. [/quote]

I’m considerably bigger than most people (not necessarily HERE, but out in public) and I can honestly say that I haven’t consciously noticed that people are any less disrespectful to me, when it’s a matter of ignorance and not meant towards any specific individuals (like the kinds of disrespect that Brickhead was talking about in NYC). So this won’t be as prevalent as you think it will, unless you get so big that you look like an IFBB pro or record holding powerlifter. Or in other words, so big that you demand peoples’ attention. This isn’t easy, especially if you aren’t particularly tall.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
My thought is that at a younger age, as a man, we are trying to prove to the world and to ourselves how powerful we are. So if we get disrespected, we must fight back.

As we get older we KNOW how powerful we are and are more secure with ourselves, and therefore dont have to prove anything to ourselves and the world around us.[/quote]

I was on a flag football team with a bunch of young guys, most of whom obviously had issues with self-esteem and feeling secure with themselves. So quick to try to “prove” themselves. I learned a lot from that experience.

I’ll add that stuff like this is why people say it takes more strength to keep your cool. A lot of people see stuff that infuriates them all day every day, but exercise inner strength and don’t let it cause them to blow up.

Just show how much inner strength you have, keep your cool, and I think you’ll start to see things differently once the steam in your head clears up. Doing this doesn’t make you soft, it actually makes you stronger. At least in my opinion it does.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Get a COC gripper and keep it close, work that thing till your hands and forearms hurt enough to ovverride your rage and anger.[/quote]

I like this idea, may have to try it…

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
There are too many soft people today. Good for you for getting mad, the world can be quite shitty and frustrating. Lift and get a lot bigger than them so you become naturally intimidating and they leave you alone. [/quote]

Not sure if srs?

1. Lifting
  2. Weed

Fin

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

I’m considerably bigger than most people (not necessarily HERE, but out in public) and I can honestly say that I haven’t consciously noticed that people are any less disrespectful to me, when it’s a matter of ignorance and not meant towards any specific individuals (like the kinds of disrespect that Brickhead was talking about in NYC). So this won’t be as prevalent as you think it will, unless you get so big that you look like an IFBB pro or record holding powerlifter. Or in other words, so big that you demand peoples’ attention. This isn’t easy, especially if you aren’t particularly tall.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

As we get older we KNOW how powerful we are and are more secure with ourselves, and therefore dont have to prove anything to ourselves and the world around us.[/quote]

I was on a flag football team with a bunch of young guys, most of whom obviously had issues with self-esteem and feeling secure with themselves. So quick to try to “prove” themselves. I learned a lot from that experience.

I’ll add that stuff like this is why people say it takes more strength to keep your cool. A lot of people see stuff that infuriates them all day every day, but exercise inner strength and don’t let it cause them to blow up.

Just show how much inner strength you have, keep your cool, and I think you’ll start to see things differently once the steam in your head clears up. Doing this doesn’t make you soft, it actually makes you stronger. At least in my opinion it does.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Get a COC gripper and keep it close, work that thing till your hands and forearms hurt enough to ovverride your rage and anger.[/quote]

I like this idea, may have to try it…[/quote]

Also, is some sane and lucid big guy going to cave someone’s head in at the expense of his freedom?Seriously…

A counsellor told me that you’re, basically, allowing someone else to have power over you if you lose your temper. You are in charge of your emotions.

There are some good points in this thread.

Getting to a place of complete emotional control might take some time to achieve, but once you have it, it is easy to maintain.

Something I think is important to think about is if you are living your life in a way that your inner core beliefs agree with. Take the three aspects of well being; moral, physical, and intellectual or mind, body and spirit. Now assign some core beliefs to each of these aspects. I will give you one of my core beliefs. I believe that “No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable”-Socrates.

When you have assigned core beliefs to each aspect of your well being, you can easily take a self assessment and determine if you are living your life in harmony with your core beliefs. Some people might be missing on one aspect in how they are living their life and changing it to fit in their core belief can have a great impact on their well being.

I don’t know if it is possible to have core beliefs assigned to the three aspects of well being and living your life in accordance with those core beliefs and not have control over their emotions? Aside from a chemical imbalance.