How Do You Fix Lordosis?

in the lumbar region.

First you have to figure out what is the cause.

Is it structural where there are boney adaptations that have occurred? is it overactive QL? Is it tight/restricted hip flexors? Do you have a ROM deficiency at the thoracic region causing problems down the chain?

Excluding a genetic/boney adaptation, lordosis is the result of something. You have to figure out the cause. How your question is asked would be like me going onto a mechanic forum and asking “how do I fixed my engine not running?”

Eric Cressey is your guy to read up on. He has great material on A&C.

If your like the average person one would guess your hip flexors are tight and glutes are shut off. Like Levelheaded said though, depends on whats going on for you.

The most common reason is the cross keyed syndrome already mentioned, weak glutes and abs, overactive hip flexors and lumbar erectors. I will second earthquake on Cressey his article are simple and easy to understand and should get you set in the right direction. The best thing you can do is find a competent physical therapist who can assess what is causing the lordosis in the first place.

yeah i am going to read up on this guy Eric Cressey.

What i believe to be the cause of this is like you said overactive hip flexors( due to me sitting all day).

i used to to do sit ups on one of those sit up benches where the legs are secured between 2 pillow sort of things. and i used a lot of back in my deadlifts.

i have been strugling with this problem for quite a while now and i was told weak hamstrings was the cause, so i started with exstra hamstring work and now my back is the weakest muscle of those being used in deadlift.

as we know the dominating muscle in the movement will be worked hardest so that we can move the most weight, and since i probably have overactive hip flexors maybe thats the cause? all the ab work was removed from the movement.

and i have started doing " spider crunches " do you think those will give me strong abs while keeping the hip flexors out of the picture?

Please go find a qualified practitioner to help you through this. Judging from your response, you have very little knowledge in the field of functional anatomy and corrective exercise. If this is a significant problem that you are worried about, you would be better off seeing somebody who can guide you correctly.

You could probably benefit from somebody teaching you proper technique on major lifts and the most beneficial exercises to use. For example, sit ups with not benefit you if your current problem is tight hip flexors (as you are assuming is your problem). Also, you don’t want to focus on your low back to do the work during the deadlift; you want the strength to come from the glutes/hamstrings.

Do you have anterior pelvic tilt?

I feel like all the advice given here is way over this guy’s head. By the way, are we talking excess lordosis or just lordosis… because lordosis is the natural curve of your lumbar spine… you don’t want to have a flat low back. OP, post a picture with a side view. Maybe we can see something…

If it is anterior pelvic tilt, you can fix it. Here’s a step by step guide: Fixing Anterior Pelvic Tilt: Postural Limits for Fat Loss