T Nation

How Do You Fight Procrastination?

I had a huge issue with that as well.Here’s what worked for me
I made some 5 year goals regarding financials,lifting,education,personal development and everything else that I really care about.I made sure to put only stuff I trully give a shit about
Then I made a basic plan,broke it down to monthly goals,then broke it down to daily goals
Now as soon as I wake up I write in a piece of paper what I should do for the day and try to finish everything as soon as possible
Also I have my 5 year goals stuck in the wall to make me feel as a piece of shit if I don’t take action

I Leave the house and go to an internet cafe or library.

Being in close proximity to my TV/bed while and wearing comfy clothes is an absolute productivity killer for me.

My approach as well.

For whatever reason, I derive a lot of satisfaction from crossing things off a to-do list.

So my work desk perpetually has a to-do list on it…and to keep myself on task, things only get added at the END of the list (so even if someone sends me a request for a shiny new project, before I start working on it, I’ll have to complete all of the things already ON the list before taking on the new task).

wait for the panic monster

I’ve seen this one before. What if the panic monster sucks at his job?

if you’re not panicking enough then you don’t care enough about completing the task or the consequences thereof

So… I guess the question has evolved into “how do you force yourself to care bout something?”.

I think you already know the answer to that, Ben

You don’t? Ahahahahhaha

that’s why I come to the forum - to learn!

I have this problem a lot. It’s easy to complete math homework or send emails, because there is a quantifiable way to know it’s completed.

Working in construction, I have to review drawings (think blue prints, but no one says that) and specifications for constructability (or, looking for errors/missing information). It’s very difficult to start a task that has no end date.

A novelist, who’s name I can’t remember, was asked how he was able to write so many books without any large gap between publications. His response: “Write 200 words per day”. The simple act of beginning a task would usually result in doing more than the daily goal. I’ve found the same is true.

In regards to constructability, my goal is to spend one hour a day, for a week, reviewing the documents. Instead of my metric for measuring the task being ‘completed’ it changes to a specified amount of time.

Sorry, I was born with a great memory. So much so, that I was in trouble when I didn’t score at least 93% on tests, because it meant I wasn’t paying attention. I also did far worse in classes that required both reading and lecturing. My first question, while reviewing the syllabus in college, was: ‘Are tests based on the book or lectures?’. The professor always assumed I was the kid who never showed up to class and was hoping they’d say it’s all in the book. Ha, I hoped they would say it was all lecture, that way I wouldn’t have to buy the book… any ways, I digress.

The answer to how I fixed this is: I started. If it was unusually difficult to start, I would employ one of two things:

1. Set 15 minute increments of the activity, followed by 5 minutes of something I enjoy.
  2. I would set punishments for myself if I didn’t complete the task.

The punishments would be steep, by the way. I would give my roommates $50 and tell them to spend it that night if I didn’t complete my paper, HW, etc.

I was going to suggest cardio until I realized that even that probably doesn’t suck enough hah.

It’s funny, I think going through grad school actually has helped me shed, at least some, of my procrastination ways.

I’ve had to do things in steps in order to complete it - my program is very process heavy (applied stats/analytics) so I literally have to map out the process/program/analysis before hand in order to complete it.

I used to just wing shit and get pretty good grades/results (at work) until shit started getting complicated/complex and my responsibilities started to mount.

Procrastination is the killer of time management, and if didn’t want to get booted from my program and/or fired, I had to improve my time management. Finding ways to improve time management has indirectly minimized my procrastination, and I’d like to think it’s mainly b/c my approach.

Breaking down a problem or task, when it’s complex, into smaller components really helps a lot with mitigating procrastination.

Adderral. Modalert. Adrafinil (which breaks down modalert w/out prescription and you can get on Amazon)

Note, these are “or” not “and.”

Caffeine, nicotine and sudafed works in a pinch.

I just get myself shaky and wired if I am in a funk where I am trying to binge watch Netflicks.

Kinda hard to get this stuff here. I’ve done some research to no avail.

I’ll consider them, probably.

To add on to the discussion, do y’all think lack of interest has a great deal to do with procrastination?

Like sometimes I do sincerely wonder, I’ve (almost)never skipped a training session because I didn’t feel like it. Any suggestions on how to carry on this habits to other aspects of my life?

Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol …

c-c-c-c-cocaiiineeeeee

Very simple… Reach into your pants… If you feel two balls and a penis then get off your ass and get shit done… If its a sloppy wet Vag your shit out of luck