T Nation

How do you fellas train your core?

I haven’t trained my abs in over a year. I never needed to since my core was never a weakness and is just genetically strong.
Also cause I think crunches are freaking boring.
I’m interested in working the abdominis transversus, not the rectus abdominis. Any ideas how to train my core in a “functional” manner?

Almost exactly my train of thought leading into this cycle.

Reed put me onto heavy suitcase holds. I’ve been doing them at the end of every session since then. I like them. If you go strapless, works your grip as well.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

Reed put me onto heavy suitcase holds. I’ve been doing them at the end of every session since then. I like them. If you go strapless, works your grip as well. [/quote]

How do you do them? Just a barbell or heavy DB/KB?
Chris Duffin has a few videos on ab training he uses for his athletes on YT might be worth checking out OP

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

Reed put me onto heavy suitcase holds. I’ve been doing them at the end of every session since then. I like them. If you go strapless, works your grip as well. [/quote]

How do you do them? Just a barbell or heavy DB/KB?
Chris Duffin has a few videos on ab training he uses for his athletes on YT might be worth checking out OP[/quote]

I’m lucky and the gym I train at has farmer walk handles so I use those. I load up 176 lbs and hold for as long as I can. I tried 220 and it was just that little bit too heavy.

If I didn’t have the handles I’d probably use a dumbbell. A barbell would be great for grip and wrist stability but I doubt you could overload it enough to really hit the abs.

MarkKO, Ed Coan actually swears by using the barbell for “suitcase” style holds, and claims to have worked up to 400+ lbs. They get crazy hard to balance though. If you have a training partner, they can tap on the bar and help balance it.

I am a huge fan of ab wheel rollouts, both weighted and unweighted. Also, the “stir the pot” movement is great. Other options are front squat holds, planks, and snatch grip deadlift holds.

Hanging leg raise, standing cable crunch, suitcase deadlift. I do them for 4 sets of 8-12.

I’m also trying to get the hang of the shovel lift that I got from Elite FTS. You put weight on one end of an oly bar and do a shoveling movement.

[quote]brady888 wrote:
MarkKO, Ed Coan actually swears by using the barbell for “suitcase” style holds, and claims to have worked up to 400+ lbs. They get crazy hard to balance though. If you have a training partner, they can tap on the bar and help balance it.

I am a huge fan of ab wheel rollouts, both weighted and unweighted. Also, the “stir the pot” movement is great. Other options are front squat holds, planks, and snatch grip deadlift holds.[/quote]

I’ve seen a video of that. Honestly , I just prefer the farmers walk handles. My aim is to get up to half my max DL, with or without straps.

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
I haven’t trained my abs in over a year. I never needed to since my core was never a weakness and is just genetically strong.
Also cause I think crunches are freaking boring.
I’m interested in working the abdominis transversus, not the rectus abdominis. Any ideas how to train my core in a “functional” manner?[/quote]

Squat and deadlift and any other movement that mimics them. Anything that works the low back, glutes and hamstrings at the same time will also work the abs in a similar fashion.

Also ISO holds in those positions will help brace the abs also and strengthen them.