T Nation

How Do You Feel After Lifting?

My friends told me the feeling he gets after lifting is kind of like a high. Granted, he does 2 hour plus sessions and has never smoked reefer in his life but I can’t really diss him, since he is the most muscular kid I’ve ever seen in person.

Anyways, it got me thinking as to how people feel after lifting. Personally, I get light headed and very woozy. Kind of like a bad high heh. I also can’t listen to anything aggressive, it has to be relaxing and chill like Pavement or Marley. I’ve missed my exit going back from the gym because I was too entranced heh.

i think you’re confused cos you’re taking what he said about “high” and reefer a bit too literally.

but yeh most days I feel energetic and more active after, like your on a natural buzz like after you play sport and win a game or something like that.

nothing like smoking some weed.

I guess it’s my aversion to the phrase “high on life” or anything else that uses “high” in reference to anything but weed. You get my point hah.

Euphoric usually, but after deads and squats…like hurling…

Like I have been hit by a truck and could take on the world at the same time. That all I can think of that can describe the feeling.

On days that I work on my upper body I feel Like I am th SHIT!!! when i work out my lower body I can barely go up the damn stairs!! I dont know why this is but its interesting!

[quote]Phill wrote:
Like I have been hit by a truck and could take on the world at the same time. That all I can think of that can describe the feeling.
[/quote]

This describes it perfectly!

I feel like shit after workouts hitting medium and high rep ranges or that are otherwise strength-endurance related. After O-lift workouts I feel great though. Low volume high intensity and explosiveness oriented workouts leave me feeling super charged.

[quote]etaco wrote:
I feel like shit after workouts hitting medium and high rep ranges or that are otherwise strength-endurance related. After O-lift workouts I feel great though. Low volume high intensity and explosiveness oriented workouts leave me feeling super charged.[/quote]

Damnit, it’s like you stole my post.

But if I hit new PRs or I have a particularly rough workout (the RSR 6x6 day comes to mind)I will drink some Surge and pass out for an hour or two. When I come to, I’m starving.

Dan “When I come, too, I’m sleeping.” McVicker

Since I stopped going to failure all the time and started leaving one rep “in the tank” I only feel a bit drained for the first hour or so after training. Once I have my Surge and a solid meal, I get my energy back for the day. I used to drag my ass around all day long three or four days a week. Screw that. I get better long term progress now and don’t feel like shit all the time.

I dont know if its just me but right after I feel like I could screw anything with a skirt. Its like I’m on a testosterone high, then after about 20 mins I’m ready to pass out.

[quote]etaco wrote:
I feel like shit after workouts hitting medium and high rep ranges or that are otherwise strength-endurance related. After O-lift workouts I feel great though. Low volume high intensity and explosiveness oriented workouts leave me feeling super charged.[/quote]

This is my experience too. A high-rep workout wears me out, but a low rep workout makes me invigorated. HOWEVER the next day is a different story. A low rep workout can make me tired the next day. I believe this is because it is more taxing on the CNS.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

This is my experience too. A high-rep workout wears me out, but a low rep workout makes me invigorated. HOWEVER the next day is a different story. A low rep workout can make me tired the next day. I believe this is because it is more taxing on the CNS.

You’re exactly right. It’s totally CNS related. However, I’ve found that one or two scoops of Power Drive a day cures this problem pretty easily. It feels a lot better than the whole high-rep “feels like I got hit by a bus” routine.

due to work and everything training is the last thing i do in a day…mentally i feel great, like superman, with a smile from chin to chin…but physically, as soon as i walk out the gym and sit in the car it hits me, tired and ready for bed…also for some reason on really good training days a couple of my teeth hurt right after, i look forward to that pain…

After a tough workout, it feels a lot like vicodin. I can sit on my ass for 3 hours playing video games, and not feel like I’m wasting time. :slight_smile:

[quote]nw-big wrote:
due to work and everything training is the last thing i do in a day…mentally i feel great, like superman, with a smile from chin to chin…but physically, as soon as i walk out the gym and sit in the car it hits me, tired and ready for bed…also for some reason on really good training days a couple of my teeth hurt right after, i look forward to that pain…[/quote]

My teeth don’t hurt, but my jaw does. I always found this to be kind of weird. If I eat something tough after a hard workout (usually after a 10X3 squat) my jaw gets real tired, and sometimes cramps up.

I also get the on-top-of-the-world feeling after a good workout, even when it kicks my ass.

I’ve noticed that on the Waterbury Method I get overtraining symptoms on my off days, but feel extremely energenic and ready to go on my workout days.

It’s like I’m taxing my CNS just enough to allow for recovery on the off days.

I’ve heard of “runner’s high” and similar experiences with lifting… I’ve never experienced either. I usually feel like crap after a workout.

I totally crash. I get real tired, usually eat my post-workout/bedtime meal and hit the hay.

Meatwad

Depends entirely on the kind of workout I do.

Cardiovascular and strength-endurance strain leave you feeling happy after they’re gone. The CNS boost from heavy weights leaves you feeling like a king; but the CNS strain, if it is extreme or incorrectly planned, can make you feel like crap. After workouts involving high-volume, high-intensity deadlifting, it has sometimes taken me between half an hour and an hour to stop shaking entirely.

[quote]Mr. Mojangles wrote:
I dont know if its just me but right after I feel like I could screw anything with a skirt. Its like I’m on a testosterone high, then after about 20 mins I’m ready to pass out. [/quote]

hit it right on da money!

-beefster